Montauk road riding

notwist

Anyone familiar with the roads around Montauk? i will be there for a weekend in July and am thinking of taking the bike. Any good routes, roads, or landmarks to check out?

tednugent

you can follow Rte 27 all the way to the lighthouse. It's got some climbs also.

if you bike down to Amangansett... to get back, I suggest bear right on Old Montauk Hwy, for the rolling hills... easier than the steady climb up

tomv42

I just did a ride on Saturday that finished in Montauk.

Here is a link to the ride website with route information, you can just work your ride backward from Montauk:

http://www.ridetomontauk.com/Montauk_2011/GPS_Files.html

One note of warning that the ride organizers let us know is that they are very strict on cyclist in South Hampton, they will issue tickets if you run a red light. Have fun, some nice rides and great views.

DanBrodeen

Rode there on Tuesday... Amazing! Just take a map and start exploring, it's probably impossible to get lost! Enjoy!

zip

The heck with the road, go in the Hither Woods with your singlespeed. The Montauk Bike Shop has a nice color trail map for sale. I just came back from a week there and rode for 3 hours every day in the woods. We stayed at the state park . You can ride from the State park to the trails and your wheels will never touch pavement exept when you cross old Route 27 and then new RT 27. I rode rigid with gears. Only problem is the camping at Hither Hills State park is all booked up but you can easily get a site after Labor Day.

jimjo

Ditto on all of the above

hither woods is great for ss and all of the roads are great for road riding we did the ride out to thE lighthouse daily with 2 kids in a trailer go to the shop in town they have the skinny on most everything

Spartacus

Road Riding Montauk is fun. The roads are friendly and you could easily hook up with a ton of riders out that way. You can also ride down E. Lake drive to Gin beach. Great view of the inlet from the opposite side. I think its about a 20-22 mile ride from the begining of town to the light house and back. Add a couple of miles if you go to Gin beach.

Hitherwoods Is an good trail. Definately will need a map. There are 2 trail heads. One at Navy beach and the other on 27a. Bring some insecticide
to fight off Ticks.

If you choose to go the MTB route and can break free for a little while.
Rocky Point, Glacier ridge, and setauket are great options. If you know somebody from the Island maybe they could hook you up with shoreham.
This By far the best trail on Long Island....but its not a marked trail.

Last edited:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
How convenient that this popped up again....I'm driving there tonight after work.

Read about HW, but was debating if I should bring the Roadie or the SS, now I am thinking why not bring both...:getsome:

zip

Here are some pictures of Hither Woods.

Attachments

• graduation party 020.jpg
    graduation party 020.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 111
  • graduation party 015.jpg
    graduation party 015.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 113
  • graduation party 012.jpg
    graduation party 012.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 127

zip

This is a great family vacation destination. It is a resort area with loads to do for the whole family.

Top Bottom