Monmouth County Parks- Deer Hunting Question

Molasses

I went to Clayton over the weekend and it seems hunting season is open 11/1/10 till 01/31/11. There was no mention of certain hours or certain days- does that mean 24 hours per day 7 days a week? sign said trails would remain open but my comfort level would be shaky at best...

Deezul

You are more likely to get hit by a deer running around than an arrow following a deer. If you are worried get a safety orange vest or some bells or something of the sort.

I don't think hunting is allowed on Sunday

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went to Clayton over the weekend and it seems hunting season is open 11/1/10 till 01/31/11. There was no mention of certain hours or certain days- does that mean 24 hours per day 7 days a week? sign said trails would remain open but my comfort level would be shaky at best...

Hunting hours are 1 hr before sunrise and hunters must be out 1 hour after sunset.
No hunting on Sunday.
Bow hunting only, no guns.

This will be the 5th year of deer hunting in the park system and there has never been an incident with regards to trail user & hunter. Hunting is permited in deer stands only. It has been my observation that hunters set up there stand well away from trails. Just don't wear your hat with the antlers.:D

Hartshorne hunting(firearms & bow) permitted the following times only.
January - 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27, 2011
Hunting until 11:00am. Closed to public outdoor use until 12:00pm on dates indicated above. Do not try to sneak into Hartshorne on these dates.

Molasses

That's what I remember...

The whole Nov to Jan surprised me. Clayton is a winter fav ride for me fast and easy to get to the car if the toes get cold. I won't let it bother me too much but will ride with something orange to be safe...

Thanks all!

Deezul

I've been riding all over in the winter...I have seen a hunter once, and he was sitting in his pickup at the trailhead. I think they stay away from the trails generally. I've heard different things about hunters and bikers, some hunters love bikers because they keep the deer moving, some dislike bikers for just the same reason.

Top Bottom