Moisture wicking jersey and shorts on a hot, humid day

monteverest

Does anything work? I have several jerseys but all leave me sweaty and clamy as a water buffalo. :cry: I'm thinking of riding shirtless and in just a pair of spandex cuz it's so humid.

herbn

clammy

i draw a parallel to winter riding,if you sweat alot(i also do)there is no miracle jersey that will absorb it all and some how evaporate it and leave you dry and comfy. In the winter the secret is to not go out to long,to long is to the point of getting tired and slowing down, that's when the clammy sets in and of course it's probabely worse when it's cold, but it's the same in the summer.I've heard shirtless is not an answer, you just drip, a jersey holds more sweat and because of the grain of the fabric you get a greater evaporative surface.Not even mentioning sun exposure, i ride every other ride in long sleeves regardless of temp.My advice,do slightly shorter more intense rides.I only notice how soggy my bike cloths are when i'm done. I sometimes get undressed in the shower ,wash everything, hang up to dry, done.Oh yeah , that's road rides:) mtn biking requires a change of clothing there are no bike cloths that are gonna be dry and comfy after a couple hours in humid 95 degree woods.

Last edited:

monteverest

Jeez .. Remind me not to be seen with you in the summers! ;)

Finally did cannonball yesterday. Heat got to me 1hr into the ride and body just couldn't cool off enough and had to cut the ride short. Oh yeah, folks gave a wide path when I stopped at the grocery store for something to drink.:eek:

i draw a parallel to winter riding,if you sweat alot(i also do)there is no miracle jersey that will absorb it all and some how evaporate it and leave you dry and comfy. In the winter the secret is to not go out to long,to long is to the point of getting tired and slowing down, that's when the clammy sets in and of course it's probabely worse when it's cold, but it's the same in the summer.I've heard shirtless is not an answer, you just drip, a jersey holds more sweat and because of the grain of the fabric you get a greater evaporative surface.Not even mentioning sun exposure, i ride every other ride in long sleeves regardless of temp.My advice,do slightly shorter more intense rides.I only notice how soggy my bike cloths are when i'm done. I sometimes get undressed in the shower ,wash everything, hang up to dry, done.Oh yeah , that's road rides:) mtn biking requires a change of clothing there are no bike cloths that are gonna be dry and comfy after a couple hours in humid 95 degree woods.

I saw a near naked runner at Ramapo - he was wearing just spandex shorts and it gave me the idea: if runner, why not I? Good advice - there is no magic against the hot and humid.

I don't have many riding jerseys but my Fox jerseys works very well. Haven't had any problems in terms of moisture wicking.:popcorn:

JB1

Does anything work? I have several jerseys but all leave me sweaty and clamy as a water buffalo. :cry: I'm thinking of riding shirtless and in just a pair of spandex cuz it's so humid.

Its 95 degrees out. Let us know how you make out with that. Im looking for an antiperspirant that keeps me from sweating also.
Usually what keeps me dry is putting on a dry shirt.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
this looks gay but it really works well.

tour-de-france-borat-585x503.jpg

ADoug

Its 95 degrees out. Let us know how you make out with that. Im looking for an antiperspirant that keeps me from sweating also.
Usually what keeps me dry is putting on a dry shirt.

The last thing you want to do when riding in hot weather is stop sweating. Remember, your body sweats to cool it down and preventing that process means heat only builds up within your body.

After the fact, sure, go for it. But not during a ride....

doofus

Trust me on this; Merino Wool.
Go here: http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/index.php
Ibex is my favorite, but there are many other good brands, you just have to look for them.
Another is Earth Wind & Rider:
http://www.ewnr.com/
I don't have any of them yet, but I will.
Merino is expensive, so I check the Outlet section of Ibex often.
Just a few benefits of Merino:
- very soft against the skin; this definitely ain't your grandpa's wool sweater
- very absorbant, and then it wicks a lot of moisture away from your body
- doesn't stink like synthetics; I regularly wear my Merino jerseys 2-3 times before washing
- Merino (at least the Ibex ones) last a very long time
- cool retro colors and patterns.
Lenny

Dirt

Based on your username I'll assume you either climb or aspire too. Any outdoor activity is the same. Some of the sweatiest days I've ever had were in the middle of a sunny day on a glacier climbing. Whether doing that, or biking, I almost always wear long sleeves. I prefer capilene to anything else, but any similiar should be fine. Of course you're going to sweat - it's near 100 degrees and you're pushing yourself. Just make sure you drink drink drink and drink. One great thing to do for sore muscles and also helps cool down when you're done is using horse linamint.

rockscaler

sunny glacier climb is bad news the sun heats the screws and melts the ice around it. I havent done much climbing on ice (never lead, always second) but I would stick to doing it at night or very cold and overcast.
At one point I had a $6k rack, dont climb much any more, my partner moved to alaska.

Push or pull:) is right, just keep doing it. For me the sweating is fine but the early start makes it much more enjoyable( sweating more from activity vs. heat). I've ridden the mt bike hard enough to sweat to the point where my fingers have gotten pruney. Thats when you start to really feel in the zone.

Last edited:

BobbyD

Just my two cents...

I prefer Under Armour's Heat Gear Loose Tees. Super light and cheaper than all the gear made specifically for cycling. For the price of one fancy riding jersey, I can buy 4 tees ($25 each). Cheaper than Patagucci too. I use to swear by their stuff, but it's a rip off. I know it may seem crazy, but dark colors while they do absorb more sunlight/heat, they dry quicker. I wouldn't go shirtless either. God help you if you wreck into a patch of poison ivy/oak/sumac. I'm getting itchy just thinking about it.

Oh and I have wrecked in these shirts and they take a beating.

smufguy

I purchased couple of Level 8 Active gear tops and they work miracles for my sweaty Indian ass. It works so well that after the ride, a 5 minute cool down makes me wonder if I even went for a bike ride.

Actual Bike Jerseys are not so wicking, but provide ample tear resistance when you take a spill.

monteverest

Thanks everyone - I'll look into the gear recommendations and hopefully stay cool and ride mornings.

- About 20 years ago I did a bit of mountaineering. Not much, just some climbing and roping to help cure my fright of heights. It worked pretty well back then but now I've developed vertigo. Ugh.

Top Bottom