Mohican 100

xc62701

Hey folks. Anyone going out to the Mohican 100 on 5/31? I'll be out there friday and doing the trip back Sunday. I'm even debating hitting up Ray's Indoor MTB Park while I'm out there. Sounds like a fun and challenging course. If anyone is going, I got a room at the Mohican resort that I'm looking to split. Let me know if you're interested. It's about $100 a night so it would be better to have a roomie to keep costs down.

D

dzm3

Probably camping

I'm going with a friend, the goal is to be there in late afternoon/early evening. So far we were planning on camping... But... Let me run it by him... Hmmm... Hot shower after the race...

dz

xc62701

Yea I was originally going to get there late friday and didn't want to have to set up camp in the possible rain etc. So the hotel sounded nice. Let me know if you're interested.

D

dzm3

Sorry, looks like our party of two became a party of four and we all are camping.

Did you see the change to the start place? 5 miles from the campground in the town...

xc62701

It's now 12:32 and I just got the bike dialed in. Nothing like doing it last minute. Leaving tomorrow morining for OH. Hoping to get there in time to get a pre-ride in and crash early for a long day Saturday. I'm hoping to finish in the 10 hour slot somewhere as it's supposed to be a bit tougher than the Cohutta. Let's see what happens. As always I'm going to race aid station to aid station and do the best I can. Peace out homies! :p

xc62701

Well I just got in so I figured I'd post my experience before I pass out...

Friday night...chillin at the hotel watching the weather as some severe T-storms were heading our way spawning tornadoes and grapefruit sized hail...wonderful. I actually slept pretty well through the rumbles as I'm sure the campers did not.

Friday morning as expected we got quite a bit of rain but stopped by 5 before the race start. Locals say it drains well but I'm a little skeptical. 7 am the race was on as we climbed on pavement from the center of town(Roads were closed for the race start which was cool). The first 30 miles were ALL singletrack. It ranged from nice cruising singletrack to sections of greasy Tymor trail. It was fun but treacherous. I did some magical ninja move to avoid one tree(and an early DNF) and I flew off the side of one of the greasy trails at high speed. The remainder of the race was a bit of gravel, a bit of pavement, a bit of doubletrack, a few hike-a-bikes, some more awesome singletrack, and a 80 foot dam to climb up with 6 stories of cement stairs 2 miles before the finish. Overall I'd say it was 50% singletrack, 35% doubletrack and gravel roads and 15% pavement. It was a mountain biker's course for sure. I believe I finished 40th out of 72 in a time of 10:24:40. And just for the record...I beat Floyd...he DNF'd due to a crash

I also had a few cool moments. I ran into a guy in the parking lot as we were all checking in so I was chatting with him and up rolls Chris Eatough. So we just BS'd for a couple of mins and the other dood donned a Trek jersey and rode off with Chris. Floyd was staying at my hotel and got to see him a few times and hear his rant as the Coke machine wouldn't give him his soda....lol. Also got to ride with Carey Lowery for 20 miles or so. We chatted it up as she said she was having a bad day as she left her legs at the Cohutta in TN. So we did a little paceline on some railroad bed to catch our breath and at mile 80 I lost her. She killed this climb that I needed to walk up. She finished 10 mins ahead of me. What a strong lady! It was a great time and now I need to rest and ice my knee. I can't wait for the Wilderness...

xc62701

Thanks! You know the first 30 miles of these races are usually the best followed by 40 miles of misery and then the last 30 miles the finish is in sight again so you regain some energy. The mental ups and downs are the killers. It's only my 3rd 100 and they are becoming more and more fun. I guess I'm just dealing with the pain better and being able to self motivate(and self medicate) helps a lot. :D

xc62701

Oooh results are up. Did better than I thought. I came in 37th of 96 starters. Best finish so far...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Congrats man, that's friggin awesome.

Must...restrain...self....but...can't...stop..it must feel good knowing how you did after a race as opposed to being totally left in the dark like most of us from yesterday.

No seriously, awesome job man. That's just a fantastic progression you're putting together. Just think, when you're coming in top 10 in a few years I'll be able to tell people, "What? Top 10? Get out, that guy drank more than I did at the inagural MTBNJ.com picnic back in 2007. NFW he was top 10!"

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Must...restrain...self....but...can't...stop..it must feel good knowing how you did after a race as opposed to being totally left in the dark like most of us from yesterday.

They actually posted the Expert results somewhat timely for an H2H race...

Great job Ryan!! You killed Floyd 'cuz he's a doper:D

-Jim.

Top Bottom