Moab UT - mtb trip 2022

TommyF

Booking a trip to ride "The Whole Anchilada" and more next year. Going to be the last week of April or 1st week in May. Anybody interested in meeting us out there for an amazing mtb adventure? Make plans now, some hotels are booked already through spring next year!! We are going to finalize the booking over the weekend, I will post details here.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have only done W.E. in september, is all the snow melted off burro pass by the end of april?

Still the best ride I have ever done.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
is all the snow melted off burro pass by the end of april?

Doubtful, but I wouldn't let that stop me. Both times I did the Whole Enchilada it was from Hazard County because it was late September/early October and there was already snow up top. I'm sure the climb up from Burro Pass is awesome though :p

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Doubtful, but I wouldn't let that stop me. Both times I did the Whole Enchilada it was from Hazard County because it was late September/early October and there was already snow up top. I'm sure the climb up from Burro Pass is awesome though :p
its nothing special in terms of trail up, but 11,000 feet feels amazing when you're pedaling.

And agreed, I wouldnt not go for burro pass....I just didnt know when all the snow melts off the top of the mountain. That said burro pass down is short, but really sweet.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
its nothing special in terms of trail up, but 11,000 feet feels amazing when you're pedaling.

Yeah, I'll bet. I think we've talked about this, but the first time I drove out through Colorado we hit Loveland Pass, a few hours after flying out to Denver from NJ and getting off the plane. I walked up the 20ish steps to 11,990 feet and couldn't catch my breath for like ten minutes. I legit thought I was going to die.

serviceguy

Yeah, I'll bet. I think we've talked about this, but the first time I drove out through Colorado we hit Loveland Pass, a few hours after flying out to Denver from NJ and getting off the plane. I walked up the 20ish steps to 11,990 feet and couldn't catch my breath for like ten minutes. I legit thought I was going to die.
Those must be some big ass steps!

JediFu

Booking a trip to ride "The Whole Anchilada" and more next year. Going to be the last week of April or 1st week in May. Anybody interested in meeting us out there for an amazing mtb adventure? Make plans now, some hotels are booked already through spring next year!! We are going to finalize the booking over the weekend, I will post details here.
You will definately NOT be able to ride the WE in April. Generally, it is July or August before Burro Pass is open. In April, you will possibly be able to go from Upper Porcupine Singletrack down. Still a great ride. I lived in UT and am happy to make recommendations for you. My avatar is me on LPS.

jerzey111

I want to go this year. I’m aiming for early May. Does it make sense to drive out?
Prob not right? Not with these gas prices

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I want to go this year. I’m aiming for early May. Does it make sense to drive out?
In the past I’ve flown into Vegas and rented a car. I looked at doing a similar trip during the winter and the cost of rental cars at least tripled from what I paid right before the pandemic. Either way you can’t win.

jackx

Depends if you are actually able to get a rental car - if you fly instead of drive out. With people chasing to not work, it can be difficult to obtain a rental car. Either way, Soundz like a great trip!

Turbotrix

FYI, just received the following from Poison Spider Bike:

1f2a8a1b-edc2-73a7-44ac-5291723df19c.png

Hi from Poison Spider Bicycles,

Spring is here and the weather and "early" riding are great. The upper sections of Whole Enchilada are closed, but LPS and Porcupine are open and we expect UPS to open any day based on the current forecast. Just about everything else outside the mountains is open and riding well.
Check our trail conditions page for up-to-date info.

As always, the PSB staff is ready and waiting to help you with great service, bike rentals, gear, apparel, shuttles and trail advice.​

Johnny Utah

I am driving out in two weeks, I also have friends flying. The drive from Denver through grand junction into moab is second to none. Maybe Vancouver to Whistler can top it.

Friends are flying in, but some of the flights are getting insane. Not going to quote direct numbers but some ticket numbers I heard from friends flying coach will almost match my diesel there and back, and I am
Towing a trailer (for two people)

In the past I have hot shotted the trip and made it in 38 hours, that includes fuel and sleep.

4B42CF0C-586C-4F82-ABF9-F9D95C1E45DE.jpeg
1195E891-FCF1-4E83-96BA-75371ED47CE5.jpeg
C5266C2C-6DBA-4E75-B1EF-2E8538A9C159.jpeg

rick81721

Lothar
I am driving out in two weeks, I also have friends flying. The drive from Denver through grand junction into moab is second to none. Maybe Vancouver to Whistler can top it.

Friends are flying in, but some of the flights are getting insane. Not going to quote direct numbers but some ticket numbers I heard from friends flying coach will almost match my diesel there and back, and I am
Towing a trailer (for two people)

In the past I have hot shotted the trip and made it in 38 hours, that includes fuel and sleep.

View attachment 181419View attachment 181420View attachment 181421

Jeeps + bikes?

Johnny Utah

Jeeps + bikes?
No, just Jeeps. To be honest I have zero interest in riding out there. Way too easy to cover lots of ground in the Jeep all day then have a good meal + libations and repeat the next day. Kind of priced in when I bring the Jeep out there.

BTW, I can’t tell you how many people I come across out there 30+ miles away from civilization or phone reception with flat tires and no tubes/tools to change them. In NJ miles that’s like a 1 day ride. Most of the time people are clueless. I ran into a couple last year with 2 hours of light left easily 35 mikes from town. It was a 45 minute drive for me burning most of it at highway speeds. They were running tubes and pinch flatted several and we’re all out but noted they had a guy riding to town and back. Our group offered help by these two were adamant they were a-ok. If they did get the tubes, my guess it was next morning. I hope they had lots of drugs because that’s a long night in one of the foil bags Vreeland sleeps in for Alaska. It gets cold in moab at night. Not Vreeland cold, but cold and very windy. Don’t do drugs.

I usually roll into this trip pretty burnt out as the winter is my busy season. Throw in the holidays and cold weather and I am ready to go brain dead for a week or two.

BTW, there is an awesome public dirt jump park in town. Right next to the hospital too🤪

85898D8C-6F3E-4C9D-A05B-E84722D414B9.jpeg
AE635D67-68AC-408A-8E4F-0E90BDC0B079.jpeg
2A74F6BE-D478-401E-AEC5-1D01F138624F.jpeg
D4156FE4-40DD-4B05-9A7F-9615ECA6DD8D.jpeg
E6410A2C-D95B-4DEA-B48F-D8F7A8C517C3.jpeg
CAF2F194-A363-4B97-8BC1-CB360E1BF51B.jpeg
25F08B61-2633-46DC-A2F1-558050DE888F.jpeg

Top Bottom