Moab - rental/tour suggestions

mjshortell

Howdy MTBNJers,

I am doing a trip out west in August and plan to stop in Moab for 3 days. I would love some tips/suggestions on shops to rent a bike from and half-day or full-day tour suggestions. There seems to be a handful of options from doing some searches online but personal experience and references are always best. Hoping not to drain the bank account but......its Moab.

Cheers!

gtluke

The Moped
Just got back yesterday. Lower Porcupine Singletrack was my favorite. It's the last trail on the whole Enchillada. You'll want to start any ride at like 5am, August in Moab is going to be really painful.
The Mag 7 trail was also a good time, but it's way longer of a ride than the topo appears. I'd start that one in the dark, the middle of the ride is very slow and painful and very very exposed to the sun.
If you are driving out there, I'd suggest hitting up Crested Butte in CO, it's way higher in altitude and will be tolerable in the summer. the Dr. Park trail I thought was better than anything in Moab.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We drove out there so we didn't rent, but out of the one's we visited, Chili Pepper Bike Shop was my favorite if that helps. Ahab and Enchilada fo' sho'.

thegock

Moab Cyclery had tubeless on the Santa Cruz Hightower I rented. Bring your own garmin mount.

Good shop. Jacques Hadler is the manager.

Last edited:

thegock

Trails:

TWE: a shuttle ride. mostly downhill. Porcupine Rim, which is the last section is more technical with more exposure.

Amasa Back: Captain Ahab is the most difficult trail in this are, but Jackson had some potentially fatal exposure sections.

Mag7: Portal has some severe exposure.

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dont worry, it will still be like 45 degrees on top of Burro pass on an August morning. :)

I have rented bikes from Moab Cyclery and Chile pepper...both were fine...no issues...Chile pepper did give me a brand turner sultan which was pretty awesome. Took the moab cyclery shuttle a couple of times which worked out nice.

Porcupine is amazing....however, the whole enchilada...burro pass, hazzard county...UPS/LPS...everything together was the best ride I have ever done. From getting snowed on at 11,000+ feet, to riding porcupine rim in 85-90 deg a few hours later...So fun. I was so bummed the last time I went and Hazzard cty was covered with snow...was one of my favorite parts. Definitely hit Amasa back and Mag 7....both were excellent.

jumpa

Porcupine Rim is below LPS and the last section on TWE.

I think technically the street back into town is the last part of the whole enchilada since some people consider the enitre ride a loop from town a climb up and back down into town :D

But as everyone has already recommend, any part of enchilada, Ahab..and go take pictures on Portal for me.

Don't take the coyote shuttle.

gtluke

The Moped
I think technically the street back into town is the last part of the whole enchilada since some people consider the enitre ride a loop from town a climb up and back down into town :D

But as everyone has already recommend, any part of enchilada, Ahab..and go take pictures on Portal for me.

Don't take the coyote shuttle.

Portal Trail. I rode the rock.
D61009P.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
Seriously, no picture of "th

Seriously, no picture of "the rock"? And don't none of you wise asses post a picture of Dwayne Johnson.

I didn't stop. We were racing the sun and I actually found that picture online.
The portal trail did not lend itself well to pictures, there is very little room to stop. If you want to actually ride it you have to keep moving, it's pretty nuts. I walked one turn early on but once I got in the groove I cleared the rest of the trail. It's very steep, very exposed.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
It was many years ago but i had a good rental experience with Poison Spider and Chili Pepper.

BiknBen

If looking for a guiding service, I highly recommend Maggie and Mike of http://magpieadventures.com/moab-bike-tours/
Mike is another of the IMBA Instructor Trainers and his entire staff of guides go through the IMBA guiding and skills program. They are also all authentic locals that provide a great Moab experience.

Top Bottom