Moab 2008 Update...

Molasses

Happy New Year!

Well my quest to see Moab in 2008 has taken 2 steps forward-

1.) I got my wife to "sign-off" on an extended weekend of mountain biking- so the date we agreed on was Memorial Day weekend. Travel on Friday May 23rd- Ride the 24th - 26th- Travel home May 27th.

2.) I scouted out some hotels and found that many rooms are already booked... it is like Moab is a popular destination or something... Well the good news is I found a hotel that has vacancy and I reserved a room.

I haven't purchased airline tickets as there are a couple of options I am considering:

1.) Fly into Salt Lake- cheapest airfares (~$300) but 4 hour drive to Moab.
2.) Fly into Moab Airport- more expensive (~$550) but rental car usage will be local
3.) Fly into Grand Junction- just as expensive as Moab but more rental car choices...

*Right now I am leaning towards just biting the bullet and flying directly into Moab*

SSssssoooooooo......

If any NJ'ers are thinking about head'in out to Moab speak up!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Dennis,

Having done this numerous times, if you want to ride on the 23rd also, you should fly into Grand Junction. We have always been able to get a flight out of newark by 8:30 & arrive in GJ b4 1:00. That gives you a couple of hours to grab the car, something to eat, assemble the bike and ride somewhere in Fruita by 3 - 3:30. Plenty of time to get in a nice ride and then drive down to Moab. All the majors have car rental desks at the airport, but not all of them keep the cars there. Ask beforehand, or you waste some time waiting for their shuttle. I think it was Thrifty, that was offsight, but only a mile away.

I'm not sure what the flights are like into moab.

Have fun...May should be WARM.

Gary

T

triameleon

once in Moab you may not really need a rental. Most of the trails have shuttle service or you can ride your bike to the slickrock trail for instance and unless you have two cars you will need a shuttle to porcupine rim. Restuarants and such can be walked to, if your hotel is centrally located that is and most are close to the action.

xc62701

I'm very tempted. I wish I could pull and extra day off to make it a little worth while. I'd have to fly in late friday and fly out early monday night to make it work....hmmm..

D

DANSPANK

Hey Molasses, I'm still interested. Just to be sure - you're planning a self-guided tour and not linking with any of the bike tour guides, is that right?

dirty bert

Banned
dumb question?

Happy New Year!

Well my quest to see Moab in 2008 has taken 2 steps forward-

1.) I got my wife to "sign-off" on an extended weekend of mountain biking- so the date we agreed on was Memorial Day weekend. Travel on Friday May 23rd- Ride the 24th - 26th- Travel home May 27th.

2.) I scouted out some hotels and found that many rooms are already booked... it is like Moab is a popular destination or something... Well the good news is I found a hotel that has vacancy and I reserved a room.

i know this may be a dumb question but are you taking your bike or renting something out there?

~db

xc62701

How's the weather in April? I have off of work April 19th to April 27. I can go then :D Well I'm doing the Cohutta 100 in TN April 19th so I can go when I get home from that.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
March/April and Sept/Oct

We have found the best times to get out to the Moab area is March/April and Sept /October. End of May starts getting too hot for our liking, and you have to contend with the getting out of school tourism wave.

Bob W.

D

DANSPANK

April might be better for me. I tend to spend Memorial day terrorising Bostonians.

Top Bottom