minions and high rollers

what loadout?

• Total voters

JonF

how wide is your rim, out of curiousity?
i'm rocking 2.3" tires on my 25mm I think it's a DT E1900 Spline - I'm wondering if I can run a wider tire on this rim, or if 2.3 is a recommended max width...

eh looks like 2.5 is still safe and solid

View attachment 130543

View attachment 130542
Maxxis states that it's WT tires, be it 2.4-2.6, perform best on 30-35 mm id rims.

the schwartz

Maxxis states that it's WT tires, be it 2.4-2.6, perform best on 30-35 mm id rims.
good to know, that was more what i thought i remembered. maybe i'll upgrade my front to a 30 someday. thanks for calling this out; i'll stick with the 2.3s for now.

Captain Brainstorm

Aggressor rear, DHF front is a solid combo. If the corner nubs are wearing off, that's the price for riding in rocks most of the time, any soft or dual-compound tire is going to eventually fall apart ripping through rocks. I destroyed Nobby Nics 3x as fast, with the sidewalls going just as quickly as the cornering nubs. My record is shredding the sidewalls on a rear Nic in 2 weeks. And that was the new tire with the fancy sidewalls. I never had any issues with the EXO sidewalls except for pinch flats when experimenting with low pressures, and that was my bad. I'm also not a Clydesdale either. I just got a DHF front with new EXO+, and after a month at Wildcat and Ringwood its still looking good. Went and did some flowy stuff up in VT and the bite at the front wheel was very nice.

I also wouldn't go wider than 30mm on the rims, unless you're planning on going wider than 2.5. Why roll around on boat-anchors?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I have DHF, DHR on my Mountain Creek rig so that's what I voted for. I haven't really tried anything else so I can't say what I have are any better or worse but I don't have any issues with them so if it ain't broke.....

the schwartz

I have DHF, DHR on my Mountain Creek rig so that's what I voted for. I haven't really tried anything else so I can't say what I have are any better or worse but I don't have any issues with them so if it ain't broke.....
yeah, that makes perfect sense, but I'm "just" trail riding which is why i thought they were overkill. it seems like they are pretty much comparable in terms of rolling resistance to teh High Roller ii though, model name notwithstanding.

I'll probably throw the DHF back on the front of the bike, maybe leave the HRii rear for the time being and try out that combo. perhaps switch to something a bit faster in the rear some other time, either when it starts to wear or when i feel like getting rid of money

ebarker9

Slightly unrelated, but I found that I learned a lot from this review (and the other tire reviews/tire 101 on this site):

Does a better job of going into "why" rather than just general observations and riding impressions than any other tire reviews that I've read.

RickVaughn

2.5DHF/2.4DHR2 for HM all day 3c maxx terra exo, not DD but my buddy rides the same setup DD (he's a masochist)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find the DHF front and aggressor rear work pretty well for most things...They arent absurdly heavy, they roll ok, they are very tough...that said im not sure I have noticed much of a difference between the aggressor or dhr rear....I think the aggressor wears a bit better over time. But I would take either and be happy.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
yeah, that makes perfect sense, but I'm "just" trail riding which is why i thought they were overkill. it seems like they are pretty much comparable in terms of rolling resistance to teh High Roller ii though, model name notwithstanding.

I'll probably throw the DHF back on the front of the bike, maybe leave the HRii rear for the time being and try out that combo. perhaps switch to something a bit faster in the rear some other time, either when it starts to wear or when i feel like getting rid of money
On my trail rig (29er HT) I got WTB Vigilante 2.5 up front and WTB Ranger 2.4 in the rear. That combo works great so far.

the schwartz

went and ordered an Aggressor 2.3 Exo for the rear. kept reading about them and haven't seen such overwhelmingly positive reviews for a tire maybe ever. i'll keep the DHF up front.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i have been on a DHRii for a week now, the one @Ryan.P said. It replaced an aggressor on the front, which has been great but the cornering on this is another level.

Top Bottom