Minimum Tire Clearance

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
All,

What is the minimum tire clearance on each side between the tire and chain stays I should generally shoot for to avoid rubbing/problems? 1/8 inch? 1/4 inch?

I have a Mountain King 29x2.4 (they run narrow, btw) for the Rig and I have about 1/8th to 3/16ths of an inch between the outside knobs and the chain stay. 'Think that is too close?

The Rig isn't trail worthy at the moment, otherwise I'd just try it. One of the two tires I have is defective, so when I call my vendor tomorrow I'll ask that it gets replaced with a 29x2.2 instead of another 2.4 if y'all think that little clearance is a problem.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ride it around your back yard. if it rubs, too close. :D

i think an 1/8 would be cutting it REAL close. you so much as tweak the rim and you're rubbing. i thought that thing had more clearance? huh. that's a bummer, the rig was on my short list of new...uh...rigs?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
ride it around your back yard. if it rubs, too close. :D

i think an 1/8 would be cutting it REAL close. you so much as tweak the rim and you're rubbing. i thought that thing had more clearance? huh. that's a bummer, the rig was on my short list of new...uh...rigs?

From what I've read 2008 Rigs have more rear tire clearance. For '08 they've gone to the genesis 2 geometry w/an offset fox fork as well. Rumor has it the '08s are sold out...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
While that is a concern, I'm more concerned about mud. It sticks to the tires and will hit the chainstays. Go out on a muddy day and you will have big problems.

That is what I was thinkin'...

Hmmm...'looks like the Rig is getting a 2.2 in the back...

Top Bottom