Might just take up Moutain biking in the winter

RyGanley

Every year I ride until it's way to cold then hang up the bike and go Boarding.. then when spring rolls around I dust off the bike and hit the trails unill the fall. Seems like this has been the way I did it for years but with this winter I am not sure why I even put the bike away.. It's January and it has not snowed yet! I even got xc skis and joined a gym to train for my off season but F that I want to ride again, maybe the bike dance will bring some snow!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i used to ride all the time and up until a few years ago i got a lot of days on the snow. lately...eh, i just don't care that much anymore which sux b/c i bought a really nice burton custom two years ago (the pimped out one with the ostrich skin top sheet :drooling: ) and have barely ridden it. part of the problem is that i used to be really good (ok heythorp, here's your softball for this thread) and now without the time on the snow i just end up hurting myself. especially with the "survival-boarding" that goes on around here at mountain creek. my advice: stay away from the guys with the jets/giants/eagles/cowboys/insert nfl-team-here if you want to not get cut off, pushed off the trail and into a tree.

anyway, i probably won't ever put my bikes away for the winter again and will likely cross all my old snowboarding stuff over to winter single speeding. i'll look trick as hell with my face-masked helmet.

heythorp

(ok heythorp, here's your softball for this thread)

Ok i just cant resist all the ammo you gave me on this one.

anyway, i probably won't ever put my bikes away for the winter again and will likely cross all my old snowboarding stuff over to winter single speeding. i'll look trick as hell with my face-masked helmet.

Well some would say you have to actually take the bike out in order to put it away.

I personally think your biggest problem jake is, you are a clyde at 230 and an ex-power lifter. It definatly does not help when you brake stuff all the time and I would definatly (if i were you) be hesitant about using your 970 in LM.

Last edited:

RyGanley

i used to ride all the time and up until a few years ago i got a lot of days on the snow. lately...eh, i just don't care that much anymore which sux b/c i bought a really nice burton custom two years ago (the pimped out one with the ostrich skin top sheet :drooling: ) and have barely ridden it. part of the problem is that i used to be really good (ok heythorp, here's your softball for this thread) and now without the time on the snow i just end up hurting myself. especially with the "survival-boarding" that goes on around here at mountain creek. my advice: stay away from the guys with the jets/giants/eagles/cowboys/insert nfl-team-here if you want to not get cut off, pushed off the trail and into a tree.

Ya, it's a sweet board... to bad we rarley can enjoy it!

Last edited:

...Lost

snowboarding stance

Those are some crazy angles you are riding there - duck footed. I'd be curious how you ended up with them. I'm riding 21/+6 after much experimentation over the years.

RyGanley

Those are some crazy angles you are riding there - duck footed. I'd be curious how you ended up with them. I'm riding 21/+6 after much experimentation over the years.

found my angles are based on what makes me even on my lean edge to edge, I buckeled these down for speed and backcountry control,

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i rode just about flat and like 11* or something forever. when i got the custom (i have the grey version!) i went duck b/c i was riding lots of fakie and in the parks. next time i get on it, i'll have to switch it back so i don't hurt myself.

D

DANSPANK

I went to Hunter yesterday. It was a great day temperature-wise. And not too busy either. But only a few trails were open and the "snow" was either rock solid or complete crud. No peaceful carving but lots of edge-riping scrawking down the mountain.

Fortunately there weren't too many out of controllers although I did see a guy in a Jets jacket. He wasn't a threat though.

So, 70 tomorrow and remaining in the 50s for next week - keep them bikes lubed!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
quiver

I couldn't resist..

Here is my current lineup

Burton Custom 166
Salomon 163 ERA
(2)Burton Cascde 168 (craig Kelly's Last model)
K2 Recon Riser 168
Allian Babs Chalet 164

There are more but those are the ones I ride..

I have my eye on a Volkl Specta 168 if I find one at the right price.

As for bindings I have a good collection of Nidecker Carbon 900's and ACT 1 bindings.

In the early 90's I rode 144 days in one season.. Now I am lucky to hit 30.

j

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh, well if we're talking quivers...

burton custom-the trick grey ostrich skin 163
burton custom-the dark/light blue "turtle" board 161
craig kelly- the purple snake skin
burton AIR- the purple "AIR" board
burton cruiser- swallow tail baby!
a rossignol- bud light board
palmer carbon circle. RIP. sold to buy bike and jeep parts. :(

the most days i EVER got on the snow was 50ish. that was when i was a renegade liftie at sugarbush and squatter at UVM.

Top Bottom