Middle initial?...nevermind...

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
i am sure the daughter will just love all those names and love growing up explaining that to all the kids in school why having 25 names is actually really cool. ;)

speaking of boxers and odd name choices... I like how George Foreman named all his sons "George". another stroke of genius.

Shaggz

A strong 7
on soapbox:

call me crazy, but I do not "get" why people saddle their children with off-the-wall names. This tag/identifier is what a person carries with them through life. i think it would be sad if i had to change my name at 17 because my parents decided to name me Pineapple Helicopter on a whim.

The other thing I don't understand is why people take a more mainstream name and change the spelling around. I could understand if it were already a family name. At last count, we have 17 nieces and nephews, and i have trouble spelling more than 1/2 of their names correctly.

what used to be a letter "a" is now "ay" or "ei", "f" has been replaced by "ph", "h" is thrown in anywhere for the hell of it and all bets are off for "y", "i", "e" and "o" when the last consonant ends with "n". And god forbid if you misspell Ghryphyhn as Griffin on a birthday card....

: off soapbox

on soapbox:

call me crazy, but I do not "get" why people saddle their children with off-the-wall names. This tag/identifier is what a person carries with them through life. i think it would be sad if i had to change my name at 17 because my parents decided to name me Pineapple Helicopter on a whim.

The other thing I don't understand is why people take a more mainstream name and change the spelling around. I could understand if it were already a family name. At last count, we have 17 nieces and nephews, and i have trouble spelling more than 1/2 of their names correctly.

what used to be a letter "a" is now "ay" or "ei", "f" has been replaced by "ph", "h" is thrown in anywhere for the hell of it and all bets are off for "y", "i", "e" and "o" when the last consonant ends with "n". And god forbid if you misspell Ghryphyhn as Griffin on a birthday card....

: off soapbox

spell it how you like it. I always thought it was a way for pretentious parents to tell the world that their kids are extremely unique and special before the child had a chance to develop (or, horror! not develop) any of his/her unique talents.

On a sort-of-related note, the etiology and meaning of names is a bit of a hobby I have. I used to not like my name, until I found out what it means: Love.

My middle name means Renowned Fighter.

Not that my parents put that much thought into it at the time of my birth. I just think it was popular name in the mid-70s.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good stuff Steve, I think that might be one of your best posts ever.

I think there are 3-4 different ways to spell Kaitlyn so in the Kaitlyn rage years they said Hannah was the most common name but Kaitlyn was 3rd, Caitlyn was 5th, and Ghryphyhn (pronounced "Kaitlyn") was 8th.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's your name?

My real name is Joe. I considered changing it to SalvatoooooorAY Big-S Palooza but I got to college and they made it Norm. Hey at least I got an extra letter out of the deal.

Thanks, but it is Pineapple Helicopter, if you don't mind...

I like meeting the children of hippies and learning their names. I knew a girl named Sunshine - no biggie, common enough name even among non-hippies. Her sister was named Moonbow. She had a brother named Oaken. Sunshine thought she might want to become a Catholic for a little while so she started going to church with her cousin on Sundays (that is how we met). Then she decided to drop Catholicism and go across the street to become a Methodist, and ultimately left town to study Buddhism. Never saw her again.

Anyway my real name is Amy Louise. Kid's called me "Amy Lou Who" when I was little and I hated it (don't now, though. it's kind of cute). And remember the tootpaste "AIM - AIM tastes good!" yeah, that was my theme song until I was old enough to punch my cousin in the face to make him shut up. Good times.

Shaggz

A strong 7
There has been a generational flip-flop of names on my paternal side of the family. Stephen Edward/Edward Stephen. I never really liked my name in grammar school (I wished I were "Michael"), and by HS, I didn't really care. Chances are I would not have liked my name if it were Michael, Joe, Norm or Pineapple, for that matter. Maybe it's the nature of a child, or maybe it's just me.

We broke with tradition and named our son, Colin Edward, and he just can not get over his good fortune to share the name "Edward" with both his Dad and his Grandfather. At any one point, I am sure he will be glad, resentful or not care that we broke tradition.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you may be surprised to know that BFJ's real name is james. middle name jacub. apparently pineapple helicopter was taken along with all the crunchy hippie names so I get named after my grandfather whom, after spending god only knows how long on a rat infested boat crossing the atlantic is then subjected to a spelling test. in english. which he didn't speak so good. so, I get jacub with a 'u'. up until my grandfather passed away everyone assumed his name was jacub. well, surprise, his name was really filip. another failed spelling test, not the fancy pants richie-rich cracked out uber-unique spelling game.

you may be surprised to know that BFJ's real name is james. middle name jacub. apparently pineapple helicopter was taken along with all the crunchy hippie names so I get named after my grandfather whom, after spending god only knows how long on a rat infested boat crossing the atlantic is then subjected to a spelling test. in english. which he didn't speak so good. so, I get jacub with a 'u'. up until my grandfather passed away everyone assumed his name was jacub. well, surprise, his name was really filip. another failed spelling test, not the fancy pants richie-rich cracked out uber-unique spelling game.

I've seen it spelled Jakub in Eastern European languages.

Did you know that James and Jacob are the same name? James is a variant of Jacob, meaning "He who supplants" taken from the Hebrew story of Jacob, second son of Rachel, who stole Esau's birthright and founded the 12 tribes of Israel.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep, I did know that. I guess that makes me twice as cool? :D

Last edited:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I am guilty of breaking the family tradition too (shame on me!)
I was the 3rd Rogelio (after my dad & my grandfather) so when my wife was expecting our son, everybody assumed he was going to be Rogelio IV :confused: . I never thought much of it, I guess I was going to follow the tradition, eventhough I am not crazy about my name. But then my wife had the very valid argument that nobody here in the US could pronounce my name and everybody would "butcher" our son's name :) So we decided to flip-flop my name and we named our son Marcelo Rogelio (to at least keep the Rogelio in there). My mom was so upset I can't explain you!! I guess my dad was upset too, but he is not very verbal so my mom was doing it for him. So almost 3yrs later I think they are finally over it.

Top Bottom