Middle finger on the levers?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
How many of you ise your middle finger to control the levers? I do and have noticed a significant amount of grip strength since I made this change two years ago. The index and thumb technically give you the most grip strength. I was never able to adapt in motocross but mtb it came almost natural. Also, less strength required for braking as you grip the lever further away from the pivot point. Now if I can get this bike fitted.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I'm an index finger type of guy. Have plenty of grip with the 3 others, and don't need much force to lock up my brakes with one finger so no need to increase mechanical advantage on the lever.

That said, I won't ever discount another method to try. But sitting here, doing some air-gripping, it feels like my grip is stronger when my index finger is extended vise when my middle finger is extended. That being said, my muscles/ligaments are probably more used to my index finger being extended for pointing, scolding my kids, and current brake use..... I'll start flippin the bird more to prep my hands for attempting your middle finger method on my next ride.... but skeptical i am.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to use my middle, but the lever always ended up crushing my index at some point. Now it's index all the way!

AndyJ

Yep, I use my middle finger. I'm not sure why - it has always seemed more natural to me than using my index finger. I also have my levers adjusted so that there's no way I could pull them in far enough to crush my index finger.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I did middle finger when I had my old shifters that I had to pull to get to a higher gear. Now that I upgraded it is index finger all the way.

jumpa

I would try but after a injury to the joint in my middle snowboarding, even the idea of having to keep it stretched out resting on the lever makes me cringe. I'm lucky I can wrap my hand around my bar.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I use my middle finger for everything.

tumblr_nrpngvJTzP1qc0n0xo1_500.jpg

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'm a middle finger braker, and have been for a very long time. I've always felt that I get a more secure wrap with my index finger and thumb.

It definitely impacts my bike setup. I also will never be able to use the tiny 1-finger Shimano levers, which pretty clearly force the index finger to be used.

RobW

I set my levers up so I can only use my index finger. As @BiknBen said at the clinic, the middle finger is attached to the same tendon as the ring and pinky, you will loose grip on bar if you use the middle. put your hand out and wiggle the middle finger, the ring and pinky move. now use the index finger and do the same thing. it moves independently.

huffster

^ Hmmm, this is interesting. I brake with middle-finger and feel it has better grip, but I may try to consciously change that to see.

OddTrickStar

I also use both middle and index fingers. Must be a habit from the side pull brakes on Tuffs. They needed the extra squeeze from both fingers.

I thought only the ring and pinky shared the same tendon.

Top Bottom