Message to the Lime Green Shirts

you know, I had a whole thing here I was about to enter, then realized I wasnt on MTBR and decided to save my rage for a rainy day.

Mr Sircrashalot, maybe your best bet to get the frustration out is to log on to Road Bike Review and post your feelings on the NJ boards there. Whether or not any of the green shirts lurk here is beyond me. Chances are someone there can direct you in the right direction.

Seriously though, Boston cream or Coconut custard?

PS, Thank you Ben!!!

Boston Cream all day long:D

Like I said, most drivers and the OP don't actually seem to realize that bikes are cars on the road. I'm pretty sure we have the same rights. And if I'm riding in the middle, someone passing across the double lines is actually illegal. This is enforced about as much as a 55 mph speed limit though.
Not directly at you, Norm, but like it or not, these are the rules:

"39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle should ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic."

Thanks Steve.

I'm curious though. If I'm going 22-23 in a 25 mph zone, does a car have the right to blaze past me at 40-50? It happens very frequently IME. The same people who complain about bikers are likely the same people jamming the gas because I'm going 2 mph below the speed limit.

I don't think any of that translates to cars having any more "ownership" of the road though. There's nothing that says bikes aren't allowed. Point #2 basically concedes that bikes have every right to ride where the rider will be safest. A car going 20 in a 40 is supposed to do the same thing as a bike - get out of the way. So I think if I'm doing 25 in a 25, my bike and I are the same as a car.

So I think if I'm doing 25 in a 25, my bike and I are the same as a car.

Absolutely!!

Again, go back to safety.
My regular route(3x week) includes a long climb to a wicked fast downhill on a narrow two way road with some low visibility around corners. The speed limit on this road is 35 and it's a fair limit.

I only climb up this cursed hill because the downhill is so freaking sweet. Anyway, it's a narrow road and it is dangerous. There is always debris on the edges of the road. Any car passing me would have to cross the double yellow and if a car were coming the other way, we'd all be done for. When I hit 30mph on the incline, I take the lane. Mid-point on the hill, I'm flying at 45mph or more. As soon as I drop back to the mid thirties, I give the lane back. I've never had issues with the drivers on this road since it is obvious even to them that I am in a very precarious position. Yielding the road and giving a wave or peace as they pass, makes all well in the world of cyclist vs. motorist.

My point, as cyclists we need to be bold, visible and even loud(agressively defensive) but there is never an excuse for rude. If I flip the bird to someone who rode behind me on the hill they'd look for the next cyclist to run over. If I wave in thanks, they respect the next cyclist they see and give me more space on the hill next time. That's just how it is.

Motorists are understanding if you give them a chance. I drive too and give cyclists a wide berm(you never know when they're battling fatigue, bees or an asthma attack). Yes, I have been pissed off by riders aimlessly wandering in the road, yet I've also been caught riding two abreast or more in conversation unaware of a car on our tails. It happens... and can be OK if everybody stays cool.

If the cyclists that were splayed across the road gave some signal to the OP I don't think he'd have had the reaction he did. He may even have stopped to help, cause that's what we do. I think a lot has been read into what he posted, so, read it again and let's all play nice.

Last edited:
IME alot of drivers just don't know the rules. I could list some groups that fall into this catergory but I don't want to start another fight. Some people just don't know what to do and it is very tough to educate those people. In general a simple wave to a motorist doesn't do jack.

In general a simple wave to a motorist doesn't do jack.

Maybe not, but it doesn't hurt anything.
And if it seems sincere, it can create guilt and gnaw at the brain of the offending driver until his frozen green heart melts.

At least it worked for the Grinch....

And what was done on your part to "share the road". Honking your horn to warn others that you are about to pass on a blind curve? Gee thanks!!!

Spend some more time on a road bike and you may begin to understand. I encounter narrow-minded motorists like you all day. As an experienced road cyclist, I no longer wait to be given my share of the road. I'm fucking taking it.

You tell'em Ben!

Being a good Liberal, riding my bike to work at least once a week...

Last week, riding home from work... nice clear day...I'm on the right side of the white line, in a 15-20 mph school zone (schools in btw)... This jerk in a Tahoe buzz's me reallllllllllllllllly close, cranks the horn and yells something at 40 plus mph... yea he's cool

I sit up as tall as I can, swing to the middle of the lane (he's looking in the mirror 100-200 yards ahead, looking to see his handy work) and give him both middle fingers,:getsome: then a whole bunch of baaaaad words. Shit for brains hits the brakes.... I stood up in the drops, started sprinting like a mad man at the dude.... Going to do something...... Yell at him...Spit on him, kick the side of the truck in (I'm beyond mad)

Well.... the jerk got caught by the next traffic light.... oh man.... he's watching me closing on him.... the guy panicked and made a left on red. Real class act.

Got home Mrs. Nimrod asked how my ride was "Fine":rolleyes:

Tony I had a similar incident recently in Asbury, but mine was with a huge-haired jersey girl in hottie goggles driving a camry. She didnt like that I was taking up the right lane of a 4 lane highway to avoid getting hit by car doors opening. That hurts btw. She was the only car travelling in that direction as far as my eyes could see, and I was cruising at 25+, yet she still had to lay on her horn and scare the shit out of me before she got over to the left lane. Then of course she gave me the NJ wave and some choice words before speeding off. I caught her at the next light and gave her some NJ love in return, scaring the shit out of HER as I rolled up on her drivers window. Isn't biking cool? :D

Crash I know you didnt start this thread to pick a e-fight. I love the discussion though and am happy you started it. Don't mistake any of the comment as anything but friendly banter.

Tony I had a similar incident recently in Asbury, but mine was with a huge-haired jersey girl in hottie goggles driving a camry. She didnt like that I was taking up the right lane of a 4 lane highway to avoid getting hit by car doors opening. That hurts btw. She was the only car travelling in that direction as far as my eyes could see, and I was cruising at 25+, yet she still had to lay on her horn and scare the shit out of me before she got over to the left lane. Then of course she gave me the NJ wave and some choice words before speeding off. I caught her at the next light and gave her some NJ love in return, scaring the shit out of HER as I rolled up on her drivers window. Isn't biking cool? :D

nothing but bitches and hoes, I tell ya, bitches and hoes

Remember a couple of years ago,:D when I kicked in the Strippers (next door) storm door, then grabbed their 6'-3" boyfriend by the neck and threw him to the ground after he almost ran over the kids playing kickball in the street?

I was even madder last week;)

I am familiar with Fresh Pond Road and it can be a hairy situation more so for the motorist than the bicyclist IMHO. I do try to follow the make love not war philosophy but I can see how easy it is to get upset with cyclists when you are one as well and they do not seem to obey the common law as you yourself would. In any case, no matter how ignorant the other human being is, I always wave even if sometimes it's with the back of my hand and my middle finger is sticking up. :rofl::rofl:

I think you guys are being a bit harsh here. His point is that assholes like the green jackets do nothing but cause more road rage against bikers. Is that so hard to see?

Where I live, we have 2 shops that do exactly this. Double wide group rides that take up the whole road. Legally a bike is the same as a car. But drivers don't think this. And we see over and over and over that bikers get run down by cars, and these drivers often times get nothing for that other than a ticket at best. That's not good.

Incidentally, one of the shops that does this, Liberty Cycles, has a rider who goes to LM often with his dog. He never has the dog on a leash and is about as rude a rider as I've ever encountered. He and his group do not yield the trail going up, nor going down. LM is so small that you cross paths numerous times with most people out there. He believes the trails are his. Here's the takeaway: Non bike riders will start to do anything they can to rally against bikers in the park if that were the norm.

If you're a dick on the road, you're probably a dick on the trail. And at home. And at work. You guys defending them is flat-out wrong. The OP needs to choose his words better. But I believe this is his point.

ABSOLUTELY. HIT NAIL ON HEAD. The end...please...

My 2 cents....

In my 36 years of riding i've only been hit by cars (3 times); including one drunk driver and one hit and run. Over those 36 years it happened when I was not experienced (6, 14 and 16 years old). Fortunately I'm here just some broken bones (check out my left arm). The thing i took away is that as cyclists on the road, we need to be smart. "Some" drivers either don't care or don't know any better. You can the most courteous rider but it takes one a-hole trying to beat the landscaping truck behind you thru a stop sign and bam your on the ground. Spandex and foam always lose to metal and asphalt.

I ride to work 2 - 4 days a week, about 7 miles in and 20 - 30 home. I can say at least once a week i would get creamed if I didn't ride with the thought that every person is "trying" to hit me. Its frustrating but I let it go a long time ago. Anrothar is right, always try an signal, but never take for granted that motorists are paying attention. In NJ there are too many cars not enough roads and a lot of angry, frustrated and distracted people. If more people rode a bike most of those problems would be lessened. But alas we are the few. Ride smart, don't make yourself a target.

i've always found it better to claim at least one third of the lane of REALLY low traffic roads, cause if you don't everyone thinks they can squeeze by five inches from you; however, if you do claim the lane, drivers will usually slow down and wait till its safe to pass you.

though, on anything with a solid amount of cars; i hug the curb.

a huge-haired jersey girl in hottie goggles driving a camry.

man thats a great description LOL

Remember a couple of years ago,:D when I kicked in the Strippers (next door) storm door, then grabbed their 6'-3" boyfriend by the neck and threw him to the ground after he almost ran over the kids playing kickball in the street?

I was even madder last week;)

You want to talk to someone about all of this? I know ppl :D

Had a bad group on my ride in to work today. It was a group of 6 that were 3 wide. It was a two lane road and they were taking up one of the lanes. As I slowed down to wait for the traffic to brake so I could go around them, one of the guys actually gave me the middle finger. I was not beeping at them to move and I was not even close to them! Not very nice to see at all.:mad: That is what is giving people that ride bad names.

Back
Top Bottom