Message to the Lime Green Shirts

Sircrashalot

My point, that I am glad that most people got clearly :D, is that as a cyclist, I tried extra hard to share the road with them even though I was in the car. The green shirts gave me a giant F.U. in return. :mad2:That makes the bad drivers out there hate cyclists, which endangers ME when I ride road, which is pretty much why I ride mostly dirt, and why I feel strongly that the attitude of this particular group of riders SUCKS.

I wanted them to see the post, and realize how their actions are perceived by drivers, even a driver who is also a cyclist who tried really hard to meet them half way.

My other point was to reinforce, since this is an MTB site, that JORBA is promoting the right thing by encouraging us to share the trail and yield to everybody. If when riding dirt even a few of us had the jerk-off attitude that these roadies had, it would be no time at all until our favorite multi-use trails got posted as 'No Bicycles'.

A couple peoples responses if translated to a dirt thread would be "screw the hikers and horses, the horses shit on the trail and the hikers are just speed bumps. I say kick them both as we ride past and hope that mud from your tire gets in their eyes." I can't imagine those same people saying screw the motorists would agree with a post like that, yet it is in the same spirit. Actions have reactions....

For those who said that most drivers are bad so when you are on your road bike your attitude is f them....you are bringing a rubber band to a gun fight. Best of luck. :getsome:

Last edited:

Sircrashalot

I understrand your frustration, but completely disagree with you :D

When I am ride on the road, I look at every single car that I see as a potential accident, and I despise every single one of them. The drivers almost always have a sense of entitlement, particularly in NJ. "How dare that bike get in my way and slow me down". F em all.

So you are saying that the cyclists own the road and cars should stay off it. Ummm....here is reality ......ummm...they built the....ummm...roads...ummm...for the cars...
I know drivers who keep change in their cupholders to throw at cyclists with attitudes like that......they didn't used to, but got sick of jerkoff cyclists who dont even make an effort to share the road. When you drive, aside from violating your own rule of no cars on the road, I suppose you smile and enjoy it when you get stuck behind someone doing less than half the speed limit, huh......sure.....

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
My point, that I am glad that most people got clearly :D, is that as a cyclist, I tried extra hard to share the road with them even though I was in the car. The green shirts gave me a giant F.U. in return. :mad2:That makes the bad drivers out there hate cyclists, which endangers ME when I ride road, which is pretty much why I ride mostly dirt, and why I feel strongly that the attitude of this particular group of riders SUCKS.

I wanted them to see the post, and realize how their actions are perceived by drivers, even a driver who is also a cyclist who tried really hard to meet them half way.

My other point was to reinforce, since this is an MTB site, that JORBA is promoting the right thing by encouraging us to share the trail and yield to everybody. If when riding dirt even a few of us had the jerk-off attitude that these roadies had, it would be no time at all until our favorite multi-use trails got posted as 'No Bicycles'.

A couple peoples responses if translated to a dirt thread would be "screw the hikers and horses, the horses shit on the trail and the hikers are just speed bumps. I say kick them both as we ride past and hope that mud from your tire gets in their eyes." I can't imagine those same people saying screw the motorists would agree with a post like that, yet it is in the same spirit. Actions have reactions....

For those who said that most drivers are bad so when you are on your road bike your attitude is f them....you are bringing a rubber band to a gun fight. Best of luck. :getsome:

I did get your point, and I think that the little green meannies need someone to teach them some basic road skills. I was just making a general comment based on my experiences (hit twice in three years.)

Last edited:

Sircrashalot

I did get your point, and I think that the little green meannies need someone to teach them some basic road skills. I was just making a general comment based on my experiences (hit twice in three years.)

CHeers.....but in defense of the drivers who hit you...you are a big dude to avoid!;) (met you at the 6mr trail maint. day)

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
CHeers.....but in defense of the drivers who hit you...you are a big dude to avoid!;) (met you at the 6mr trail maint. day)

Heeeeey,... are you saying my ass looks big when I wear spandex? You been checking my junk...:hmmm: Note to self; ride sweep.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
So you are saying that the cyclists own the road and cars should stay off it. Ummm....here is reality ......ummm...they built the....ummm...roads...ummm...for the cars...
I know drivers who keep change in their cupholders to throw at cyclists with attitudes like that......they didn't used to, but got sick of jerkoff cyclists who dont even make an effort to share the road. When you drive, aside from violating your own rule of no cars on the road, I suppose you smile and enjoy it when you get stuck behind someone doing less than half the speed limit, huh......sure.....

Roads began as paths for animals and natives to walk on, then were made bigger for wheeled transportation (carriages and bicycles omagawd), then were completely fucked up for cars (that were built by bicycle mechanics!). The interstates were built auto specific, and they all completely forgot cyclists. As for sharing the road, they were sharing it. You didn’t like the way they share. :D

The bicycle was forgotten in the design of modern roads, and that really has to change. There is legislation out there asking for it too, but our country mostly gives a shit about the price of gas.

I never said that cars shouldn't be on the road, don’t put words in my mouth. Everyone keeps saying that cars are 4k lbs, cars win the battle, etc etc. No shit, ofc they do. Is it really such a big deal to slow down for some bikes? If you slow down when you see me on the road, I live longer.

Dickheads who throw coins, honk wildly, get too close, hit people or otherwise get pissed off for no reason injure or kill cyclists. Hmmmm, slow down and lose seconds off your trip, or kill someone on a bike because they don’t know how to share the road. Tough one.

For the record, I don’t condone cyclists acting like morons on the road. It sounds like they acted like morons.That’s not how I ride. I would love to hear the other side of the story from them though. How they acted is still no comparison to an ignorant driver who kills, or nearly kills, someone on a bike.

Cars are the leading cause of death among our young people. They suck. Our roads suck, and driver's attitudes suck. Driving is a priveledge, not a right. Too many people have a sense of entitlement on the road.

BiknBen

SirRAGEalot said:

And what was done on your part to "share the road". Honking your horn to warn others that you are about to pass on a blind curve? Gee thanks!!!

Spend some more time on a road bike and you may begin to understand. I encounter narrow-minded motorists like you all day. As an experienced road cyclist, I no longer wait to be given my share of the road. I'm fucking taking it.

walter

Fourth Party
you know, I had a whole thing here I was about to enter, then realized I wasnt on MTBR and decided to save my rage for a rainy day.

Mr Sircrashalot, maybe your best bet to get the frustration out is to log on to Road Bike Review and post your feelings on the NJ boards there. Whether or not any of the green shirts lurk here is beyond me. Chances are someone there can direct you in the right direction.

Seriously though, Boston cream or Coconut custard?

PS, Thank you Ben!!!

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Cars are the leading cause of death among our young people. They suck. Our roads suck, and driver's attitudes suck. Driving is a priveledge, not a right. Too many people have a sense of entitlement on the road.

AAAAAAMEN to that!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
And what was done on your part to "share the road". Honking your horn to warn others that you are about to pass on a blind curve? Gee thanks!!!

Spend some more time on a road bike and you may begin to understand. I encounter narrow-minded motorists like you all day. As an experienced road cyclist, I no longer wait to be given my share of the road. I'm fucking taking it.

excellent point, honking is probably the worst way to get a cyclist attention, more likely to scare the shit out of them....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think you guys are being a bit harsh here. His point is that assholes like the green jackets do nothing but cause more road rage against bikers. Is that so hard to see?

Where I live, we have 2 shops that do exactly this. Double wide group rides that take up the whole road. Legally a bike is the same as a car. But drivers don't think this. And we see over and over and over that bikers get run down by cars, and these drivers often times get nothing for that other than a ticket at best. That's not good.

Incidentally, one of the shops that does this, Liberty Cycles, has a rider who goes to LM often with his dog. He never has the dog on a leash and is about as rude a rider as I've ever encountered. He and his group do not yield the trail going up, nor going down. LM is so small that you cross paths numerous times with most people out there. He believes the trails are his. Here's the takeaway: Non bike riders will start to do anything they can to rally against bikers in the park if that were the norm.

If you're a dick on the road, you're probably a dick on the trail. And at home. And at work. You guys defending them is flat-out wrong. The OP needs to choose his words better. But I believe this is his point.

Shaggz

A strong 7
If you're a dick on the road, you're probably a dick on the trail. And at home. And at work. You guys defending them is flat-out wrong. The OP needs to choose his words better. But I believe this is his point.
well said, Norm

ArmyOfNone

I am hardly ready to believe that I'm a dick. But I could be wrong. If so I'd like to hear it.

I think the other side of this discussion (or at least my point is), people tend to over react to these situations. Or this has been my experience. People who are not out on the road I dont think quite understand what its like to be out there, trying to keep yourself safe and not interfere the flow of traffic.

As I said earlier, Im not agreeing or disagreeing with what happened. I wasnt there so I cant judge. They could have been complete dicks and been in the wrong. If so they deserve to hear about it. But before we go ape shit, calling people names and pointing fingers may be you can take your foot off the gas for a second.

And yes Norm that guy is a DICK.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fred - I'm not defending the Road Rage nation, of which the OP may actually be part of though he probably doesn't quite realize it. Ben's point that it cost the OP a whole 30 seconds is valid. Maybe there was a guy getting CPR on the side of the road and the bikers out ahead were racing to get a defibulator? Who knows. Getting all worked up isn't worth it on either side of the fence. Life is too short.

But...drivers get worked up about it and that's where the danger lies. I tend to take Ben's approach though it's less indignant for me. I think I'm more visible in the middle of the road than a narrow shoulder. If I feel insecure about a road, I ride in the middle because drivers won't gun you down like that. I believe you're more likely to get clipped by a mirror if the shoulder is sketchy. When the road gets better I shoot to the side. I'm not doing anything that you, nor Ben doesn't do, I imagine.

Like I said, most drivers and the OP don't actually seem to realize that bikes are cars on the road. I'm pretty sure we have the same rights. And if I'm riding in the middle, someone passing across the double lines is actually illegal. This is enforced about as much as a 55 mph speed limit though.

Top Bottom