Mercer First Time Visit

WJF

Looking for suggestions concerning Mercer County Park.

Have the trail map....
Where is the best place to park and access the better dirt trails?
What trails should I visit for a two hour ride?

sasha

Moderate pace, two hours, you can hit most of it.

Moderate pace, two hours, you can hit most of it.
As I see it, there are 3 parts east, west and in-between. 'in-between' part is the most obscure, hard to find where the trail starts.
I never took a group ride there, but when someone posts, they suggest starting at marina parking lot, which is 'in-between'.
I'd love to have a guided tour, if not too fast and crazy. Hate swampy part behind tennis courts and further back (off the main trail with bridges).

Last edited:

jpo

I ride here pretty often, but am far from a trail expert. I much prefer parking at West Picnic and riding the west end trails, but the far east has some good stuff too. I agree with Sasha though, central is pretty "meh"-tastic.

So is there really a small group of slow riders getting together tomorrow morning, because if so I am in? 7ish? 8ish?

skyrokz

anyone riding mercer on the weekend? always wanted to try it, but due to work i am limited to weekends and after 5:30 only and that depending on how traffic is and distance of park

JerseyTrash

7 or 8 way to early for me haha. takes me 45 to get there. id be up for a weekend ride to, the mountain bikes are feeling neglected right now

jpo

9 then? I have work at two and I figure that is the latest I can get a decent ride in and still get home shower and get to work on time.

Though I guess it is all a moot point if the people who are looking for guides aren't riding.

SS_Dave

Weekend Ride

anyone riding mercer on the weekend? always wanted to try it, but due to work i am limited to weekends and after 5:30 only and that depending on how traffic is and distance of park

I can do Saturday AM around 0600 or 0700 ish......I usually take west picnic thru marina to the rowhouse and around the golf course to the dam

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I can do Saturday AM around 0600 or 0700 ish...../QUOTE]

hmmm, Saturday at 0600 is a possibility. I'm glad someone else suggested it though:D
Not many people want to get out that early. It's nice to beat the real heat and it has minimal effect on the "family time" :p
not that I'm a morning person by any means......it just works best!
I'll let you know by Friday Dave.....

Anyone else want in?

Last edited:

sasha

How do you get around the golf course? Local roads?
I failed to find the way.
When I get to the row house, I followed the lake shore, until it was ride-able, got to the dead end.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
How do you get around the golf course? Local roads?
I failed to find the way.
When I get to the row house, I followed the lake shore, until it was ride-able, got to the dead end.

although It's technically illegal now looking at the trail map, there is a trail that rides along the side of Mercer Oaks. You have to ride along the edge of one fairway in a spot (at the lake) which I guess is why they made it illegal :mad:

Last edited:

kush

It isn't legal to go on the golf course. Everyone else may get screwed for this.

When you get to the boathouse, don't go along the lake on the grown-in double track, but hang a right at the road, and then look on your right for a trail (its double wide at first). It is my least favorite route as its root-ridden, not flowy, and there is a bug infestation. But could be ok for all those if you go really fast :D

SS_Dave

Yes, it is illegal. If you let the golfers play thru and keep an eye out for the ranger you are ok.....I was there recently and they sorta blocked the trail LOL so its def not a good idea to go at night

Pointboy

I would avoid the golf course, as others have stated its illegal and there are signs warning against this. Not to mention the last thing we want to do is piss off the people who run the golf course and possibly get biking banned on all of the trails!

If you park in the Marina you can do a figure 8 loop. I normally ride west out of the lot towards the damn and then loop back. I get back to the lot and then do another loop on the other side of the lake. Look at the link below to see what I am talking about (i hope that it works). There are plenty of legal trails to ride without having to ride on the golf course.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...0.095615&t=h&z=13&iwloc=00048aa6c43832b1882c3

JerseyTrash

How do you guys ride that early? I cant even function until at least 9. I'll probably be there sat but around 1030 or 11

Top Bottom