Mercer County Park Conditions

Big Al

Did a loop yesterday. Trails are in good shape. Starting to get a little bushy here and there. Trimmed another tree on blue near the last one I cut a couple weeks ago.

Lake is temporarily closed, btw, whatever that means. Moose out front shoulda told ya.
IMG_20200527_142016.jpg
IMG_20200527_143135.jpg
IMG_20200527_144604.jpg

TAS

Thanks for the heads up!!!! Lake closed?? Hmmm must be the water is too wet or sumpth'n :shrug:. Kinda ticks me off because I just got my fishing kayak all rigged up with a new fish finder. I was going to go there this week for shakedown run #2. Oh Well. I'll go back to Rosedale lake. Got these two on Tuesday.

Al, your getting to be quite the tree eradicator! I may not have to carry my saw anymore.
It is getting bushy. The margins we cut back are still working well.

Mick & I hope to get out with the BrushHog soon. Let me know if you want to join the fun!
I know you LOVE running it! ( er... behind it that is )

TAS

Attachments

• DSCN2405.JPG
    DSCN2405.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN2404.JPG
    DSCN2404.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Rusty

Not so sure that sign is accurate as there were several folks out on the lake the last two times I was there. Park website still lists boating as an acceptable activity.

ab201

Looking to make the trip down from North Jersey to check out Mercer. How is it on the weekends? Super crowded?

Rusty

Depends, but mostly no. More folks that shouldn't be are in the woods like everywhere, but there are plenty of places to get away and be alone. There are a couple locals here more than willing to provide a proper tour. Place can suck/be boring if you don't know your way around, as there are a lot of intersections. Post here or PM with your planned day and time and I am sure one of us will appear and give you a tour.

Wildwalker

Looking to make the trip down from North Jersey to check out Mercer. How is it on the weekends? Super crowded?
It can get crazy with park gowers/ walkers. Most people stick to the paved trails. There are lots of spots that get muddy. For the most part it's a good local spot. Might be out there sunday later afternoon.

ab201

Depends, but mostly no. More folks that shouldn't be are in the woods like everywhere, but there are plenty of places to get away and be alone. There are a couple locals here more than willing to provide a proper tour. Place can suck/be boring if you don't know your way around, as there are a lot of intersections. Post here or PM with your planned day and time and I am sure one of us will appear and give you a tour.
Awesome. Thank you!!

TAS

ab201, If the main parking area by the marina is too crowded for comfort (as it sometimes is of late) there is an alternate place to safely park and have access to a trail head. The Van Nest Wildlife Refuge has a small gravel parking area. The entrance is located on Hughs drive at the intersection with Quaker Bridge road. It a short gravel road right next to the traffic light. It is mostly used by fishermen for trout season. Facing the creek, the trail head (yellow) will be on your right.

From here you can access the yellow, orange and red trails that lead further into the park system.
The most crowded areas are near the marina. Once over to the east picnic area (red trail) and north on blue there are fewer people
Take your time....look for marked & alternate trails.
Enjoy your visit!

TAS

Van Nest Entrance to MCP.png

TAS

Big trees down red/orange from West Parking lot entrance after immediately after powerlines and by Deer Killer stump. Just to give you all a heads up to the damage from the storms today. Didn't get the opportunity to peruse the Van Nest Wildlife Refuge trails today.
Thanks for the report. I was planning to do a recon ride today but since we have more storms coming tonight, decided to wait until Friday. I have a feeling that we will be very busy.

TAS

Big Al

I did a little clearing and trimming on the Pax Twist section of the park tonight. There's still one or two things that will need attention at some point in the future but o/w, it's good to go. Based on what I saw and have heard from others, the whole park probably needs a lot of work from the derecho that his yesterday.

IMG_20200604_195146.jpg
IMG_20200604_200449.jpg
IMG_20200604_201754.jpg
IMG_20200604_203652.jpg

TAS

Great job Al! I will be out there tomorrow and recon / take pics of all the trails. I have to focus on recon and not to stop and cut! Mick was working this week so we didn't get out there. I'll PM you if we set up a day next week for running the big saws.
I'll have a report tomorrow afternoon.
TAS

TAS

Great job Al! I will be out there tomorrow and recon / take pics of all the trails. I have to focus on recon and not to stop and cut! Mick was working this week so we didn't get out there. I'll PM you if we set up a day next week for running the big saws.
I'll have a report tomorrow afternoon.
TAS
UPDATE... Recon postponed until Sat. DIdn't get out for a ride this morning...Rained out for today!!

TAS

Todays Trail Report: Rode the entire park
All the tree damage is on the west side of the park. Van Nest (Orange )along the creek is clear.

Here is the tally:
Yellow- Van Nest Section 4 blockages along Hughs drive.
Red Trail near the lake 1 Entire top of two oak trees and covering 20 yards of trail
Orange trail: Adjacent to Powerlines (west picnic area) 4 trees in one group. Another single tree blocking the trailhead at the power line.

The rest of the park is clear other than smalls and debris.

Mick & I will be out there tomorrow.

TAS
A few pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg