Mercer County Park Conditions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I give conditions a solid
tenor.gif

The mercer GPS jammer got me again but I came in from Quakerbridge and did the main trail away from the dam over to the jump pit and it was ok, some top slop. The west picnic to volleyball had a lot of blowdowns and a ton of leaves on the trail and the section closest to the volleyball court was crap. Rode to the slalom and again, lots of leaf puddles and the top layer next to the lake was messy. Back along the lake was fine and then dam trail was maybe 50% ok and 50% less than ok but not bad. For the stuff I rode, would give a 2 of 4.

Last edited:

TAS

Hey guys was out there yesterday and took care of them all on Blue. That pine tree was a mess!
I'll get back there today and clean up a bit more.
I was going to ride the entire south side east to west but ran outt'a time. Blue by the lake is still too soft.
The Red loop east of east picnic is a swamp. Lots of small branches & debris everywhere
Have saw - will ride! TAS
DSCN1942.JPG

Big Al

Hey guys was out there yesterday and took care of them all on Blue. That pine tree was a mess!
I'll get back there today and clean up a bit more.
I was going to ride the entire south side east to west but ran outt'a time. Blue by the lake is still too soft.
The Red loop east of east picnic is a swamp. Lots of small branches & debris everywhere
Have saw - will ride! TAS
View attachment 88972
Thanks, Tom

TAS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/mcdamsite21survey.....this is in regards to DAM Site 21 which is in the rear of the Mercer County Vo-Tech school....please make sure that if you are a resident of Hamilton Twp, WW Twp, or Robbinsville Twp to make your voices heard. Think we could use some harder loops nearby....just saying.
I am going to the meeting..
However.. Yesterday I hiked the entire area around the lake. Its a great place to fish but not so much for biking or walking.
The “Capitol to Coast trail” is nothing more than a row of signs along farm fields, no trail surface or trail heads on either end. That certainly could be addressed sooner than later.

As I suspected… the area around the lake has a lot of low areas and natural drainages into it. A multi use trail completely around the lake would require multiple water crossings and or elevated walkways. The area below the dam along Hughs drive is a multi channel drainage - swamp into Miry Run! I don't know if the county engineers would endorse running a trail along the face of the earthen dam to get past the spillway. People certainly walk there now.

I am sure that a few in and out loop trails could be constructed off of Line road (the east end) on the south and north side where water crossings are minimal or not required.
There are fisherman trails / deer paths all over that area..

I just hope they can locate a suitable spot for a canoe/kayak launch like the one at mercer lake and in the meantime don't eliminate the crude one that is already there.
As is today.... It is great place to fish and bird watch!

TAS

Attachments

• Dam Site 21.png
    Dam Site 21.png
    761.8 KB · Views: 118

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Rode at lunch today. I knew it would be iffy with hard freeze since Tuesday night and temp was right around 32 when I rode and it was cloudy. I rode from QB to the Dam and the two puddle / stream when it is wet areas were full. I wasnt really in the mood for pedal depth water, so I jumped both. The first I dipped my right foot and apparently my lakes are still waterproof because no wet foot. The area below the dam, mush. Most areas with sand were good and some areas of grease on glass, especially where the sun hits. Low area behind the Tennis Center was mush, as was the end of red. I rode blue, which was meh in a lot of spots. All in all, it isnt good, it isn't bad. 2/4. Tomorrow morning should be ripping but forget it after that for awhile...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Based on recon ride from AC, tried it out at lunch today and the trail tread was just about perfect. That being said, lots of debris, sticks, leaves which are just enough to throw your line while cornering. The leaf blower patrol was out in Van Nest along the park road, thanks!

Communication is open. In the end, this is the land managers decision. All we can do is offer our support and expertise. Most of all, stay professional/respectful.

It's good to know that the communication is open.....but just make sure that it is honest, open and professional on both ends.....just remember emails are a public record if there is a problem regarding trail access. Let's just say I will keep my fingers off the keyboard at this point.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
You may notice the new trail markers that went up on the red, orange and yellow trails during trail maintenance this weekend. We were asked by the park manager to remark the blazed trails as they show on the map.
Many of the old markers are still there but some have been swallowed by the trees, some have popped off.
If you look carefully, you will see what is left is mostly faded and now 10 feet in the air. :)
We still have sections of blue and red to finish.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You may notice the new trail markers that went up on the red, orange and yellow trails during trail maintenance this weekend. We were asked by the park manager to remark the blazed trails as they show on the map.
Many of the old markers are still there but some have been swallowed by the trees, some have popped off.
If you look carefully, you will see what is left is mostly faded and now 10 feet in the air. :)
We still have sections of blue and red to finish.
Yeah, I noticed blue paint on every other tree over in the pines. I guess blue and yellow overlap?

TAS

The plastic diamond shaped markers are the official trail marks.
We don't know who applied the blue paint or why. We still have lots more trail to mark in the next TM session.

TAS

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions