Meniscus tear

J-Dro

Well I just had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus yesterday. Anyone else had similar surgery? I'm wondering what the recovery time was like? How long after surgery until road biking? How long for MTB? I've had more serious ACL reconstruction surgery in the past, but this is my 1st time with the scope.

The injury happened at 6MR, of all places. I unclipped to stop and put my foot down on what turned out to be a slippery slimy slope. :mad2:

alex_k

Well I just had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus yesterday. Anyone else had similar surgery? I'm wondering what the recovery time was like? How long after surgery until road biking? How long for MTB? I've had more serious ACL reconstruction surgery in the past, but this is my 1st time with the scope.

The injury happened at 6MR, of all places. I unclipped to stop and put my foot down on what turned out to be a slippery slimy slope. :mad2:

I had this kind of surgery last December... started riding Canal after 2-3 weeks (don't recall exactly)... 6MR after a month... almost forgot about my bad knee but fell and hurt it 2 weeks ago... recovered faster than usually before the surgery.. can ride again wearing a titanium brace just in case :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
good luck recovering....

my dad had the scope and his was recovery was quick.

what an excellent source of information I am..:rolleyes:

walter

Fourth Party
good luck recovering....

my dad had the scope and his was recovery was quick.

what an excellent source of information I am..:rolleyes:

I will add to Kevins bits of wisdom. A fellow co-worker was going to therapy the same time as me for the meniscus tear. He had the surgery on a wednesday and was walking unassisted by the following wednesday. I saw him today and he is doing fine, about 5 weeks later.

I dont know exactly what you do, but we have certain restrictions in the beverage world that kept him out a little longer. If your work doesnt involve a lot of moving you should be good to go pretty quick. As far as riding, I dont know. If you want to ride the canal or some easy roads let me know, Im just about at the point that I can pedal around.

Heal up well.
Didnt Jdog have his knee scoped or did he have reconstruction?

J-Dro

Thanks for the advice guys.

Walter... My job is 85% behind a desk or in a meeting room so its not physical at all. Thank God I like to ride alot or I would be a fat blob. I'm thinking some non-hilly canal or riding would be the way to start in a few weeks time. Jdog had the full blown ACL reconstruction, which I also had a few years ago. Now that rehab is long and painful.:drooling:

I start PT tomorrow so I'm sure my therapist will have some good advice. I tend to push myself too fast so I'm trying to pace myself better this time.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Follow your PT's advice and your Doc probably prescribed some kind of device to keep the knee straight/extended when your lying around or sleeping. Make sure you wear it!

You'll be fine in a few weeks, Good Luck!

SpartaBard

I had that surgery about 8 years ago and my knee has never felt better. The recovery time depends on exactly what the doctor did in there. In my case he used pins to reconnect the torn lateral meniscus vs. cutting the cartilage out. Much longer recovery time and physical therapy (2 months or so) in my case because I needed the cartilage to heal. If he just cut the cartilage out then it will be much faster but may be sore more in the future.

F

FallGirl1430

Hi Jeff,

I've had 5 such surgeries. I was back racing MX in 2 weeks with my CTI carbon knee brace on. As for cycling, the most important thing I would do right now and for the next few weeks is R.I.C.E. which is Rest, Ice, Elevation and Compression. I was light spinning on my trainer 1 week after my last scope. It also depends just how much was removed. Most of all listen to you body. ANY excercise whatsoever will need to be followed by RICE, 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. Higher doses of Vitamin C is also helpful in healing + 5000 mg's daily at 2 hr intervals. Diet is also key, stay away from beer and all junk foods. Sleep is also very important too. Everyone is different in how long they take to heal up. Good luck to you,

Christina ... :)

walter

Fourth Party
Hi Jeff,

As for cycling, the most important thing I would do right now and for the next few weeks is R.I.C.E. which is Rest, Ice, Elevation and Compression.

Does he need RICE or RIEC:hmmm: Is there a difference? Just bustin'

Jeff, when you are ready for casual spins let me know, I can join you if you'd like.

ArmyOfNone

Jeff! What a bummer. I had no idea that was all going on. Best wishes on a speedy recover. Most athletes recover very quickly from that surgery. Youll be back up in no time!:D

F

FallGirl1430

Does he need RICE or RIEC:hmmm: Is there a difference? Just bustin'

Jeff, when you are ready for casual spins let me know, I can join you if you'd like.

OK OK, so I'm a blonde! :rofl: so much for "Preview Post"

Jeff one other thing, drink lotsa water. The formula is: your body weight, divide by 2, convert to ounces.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Ouch...

Jeff,

Get better soon. I had my right knee scoped for the same thing a few years back. No PT and was back riding Allamuchy in 3 weeks.

BOb

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My knee basically tore to shit when I fully hyper extended it in Jackson Hole.

i was snowboarding.. 1st day of a week long trip. It took me over a year to recover.

The good news was that I rented snomobiles while I was there and saved the trip.

You can most likely spin your SS bike on the Canal very soon. Just keep the cadence med-high and keep the saddle up. Road ride but on the flats at first.

Best o luck.

j-

S

Stinky1

I also had a torn meniscus and went under the scope. I expected not to be able to walk or move around for a while, but ended up hobbling out the day of the surgery. I healed quickly and had a machine given to me that would bend my knee little by little for me til it was back to normal. Took about 5 weeks before i started to ride again. Back in March i was snowboarding and destroyed my wrist tearing all the ligaments and breaking my ulna radius something or other. That was not fun what-so-ever. Although healing quickly and being able to ride it still hurts and doesnt feel the same. Hmmm, i wonder what to injure next? :hmmm:

Top Bottom