Mechanical Disc Brakes

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are there any advantages to mechanical disc brakes? Cheaper? Lighter?

I saw Scalpel6's post about the SS and the con was mechanical disc brakes. Why is that?

I ask because I'm not going to want to run v-brakes on the new bike build forever and I see mechanical a lot cheaper.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
cheaper!!
I like it that I don't have to bleed them like the hydraulic, 'cause my buddy use to bleed them all the time, I dont really know how often should you do it anyway.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You shouldn't have to bleed hydralic dics very often, unless there is some kind of leak...

Mechanicals are cheaper but eventually you lose some power/smoothness from dirty lines, typical of all cabled items. You can get Avid Full Metal Jacket housing, which has a straight metal peice and it full enclosed to keep dirt and grim out. I saw Chris at Halters installing these and the brakes were smooooooth and felt nice in the shop. I have not tested on a ride though.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CA707C06-Avid+Full+Metal+Jacket+Disc+Cables.aspx

I like hydralics because you need such little effort to brake, but mechanical dics aren't much different.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think the hydros require less "pull" on the lever to stop. that and there is a little flex/stretch in the cable but if you run BMX cables you can pretty much eliminate that. i'm prolly gonna go with some BMX style cables on the mary. blue, of course. :D

Wazu

I've had mechanicals on my last two SS's and have had no problems whatsoever. I've never had hydraulic to compare them though. I like them more than v brakes in every way really, especially when it's muddy and or wet.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The funny thing is that I have v-brakes on this bike and they lockup faster than the hydraulic discs I have on the FS rig. So why do I want to go disc on this bike? Well if I buy/build a lightweight wheelset I want to be able to put it on either bike depending on the race.

Maurice

The funny thing is that I have v-brakes on this bike and they lockup faster than the hydraulic discs I have on the FS rig. So why do I want to go disc on this bike? Well if I buy/build a lightweight wheelset I want to be able to put it on either bike depending on the race.

Wait until you have to ride V's in the mud/wet. That and the rims eventually wear out.

Cable disc brakes are heavy.

Some hydraulic brakes have excellent modulation, which I don't think you can achieve with cables, be them discs or V's. As was mentioned cables don't stay smooth for long.

maddawg

switched to cables from hydro

had magura louise hydros for a long time and liked them but as they aged they needed bleeding and became a pain in the rear. switched to the avid cables with xt levers and really like the feel and the tunability. they might be a little heavy and yes you will have to replace cables but i think that the pro's out weigh the cons. and now that gore has there cables back on the market i will re-cable with them!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Heavier eh? I don't like that idea. I would have guessed the housing was a push and fluid would be heavier than a cable. Surprised to read hydro would be lighter. Not going to buy something that adds weight if I can help it.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
They are cheaper than hydro's but a little heavier (compared to some hydros and V's). I never really felt the weight on the bike and rode my Avid mechs for a few years and loved them (good stopping power esp. when compared to the V's). Then I got my first set of hydros (Hope Minis and both front and rear wieghed less then just the front avid mechs). Pretty shocked.

I don't know if Hayes, Magura etc are as light as the Hopes.

Anyway, the mechs are good if you don't mind the weight, and really simple to field tune.

I have an extra set of Avid Mechs, hangin on a hook, I can loan you if you want to try them out.

scalpel6

Are there any advantages to mechanical disc brakes? Cheaper? Lighter?

I saw Scalpel6's post about the SS and the con was mechanical disc brakes. Why is that?

I ask because I'm not going to want to run v-brakes on the new bike build forever and I see mechanical a lot cheaper.

The Mechanicals don't inspire as much confidence as my XTR Dual control brakes on my Scalpel. The XTR brakes require very little effect to stop. The mechanicals on the other hand require you to squeeze much harder. For the money Mechanicals will definitely do the job. That said I plan on replacing them soon.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
hydros = slightly lighter, and better modulation than mechanicals. I've had Hope Minis for 5 years on one bike and no problems.

I have mechanical disc brakes on my other bike and there's much less modulation; I find myself skidding alot more...

ArmyOfNone

I think the modulation cannot be beat w/ hydros. Properly set up hydros allow you to stop with less effort and allow (atleast me) to control the bike better.

With that being said, the BB5's are a terrible brake imo. Im not sure what makes it so poor, but is no comparison to the bb7. If you decide to run a mechanical brake it must be the bb7.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the feedback all.

Mergs - thanks. I'll let you know.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Gore is back!

It is worth noting that the Gore Ride-On Cables are returning to the market this fall.

This system has very very low friction. It is a sealed system that really keeps the mud out.

I would definitely run these cables on a bike with mech brakes.

They stopped making these cables almost 10 years ago and I still see bikes that have the original set still working strong.

j-

J-Dro

cheaper!!
I like it that I don't have to bleed them like the hydraulic, 'cause my buddy use to bleed them all the time, I dont really know how often should you do it anyway.

I've never bled my 2+ year old Juicy 7's. Am I behind on routine maintenance? Is there any reason to bleed them if they are working fine?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Just save up to get a nice set of hydro discs...The lower maintenance will pay for the difference in price over the long haul...do it once, do it right...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I've never bled my 2+ year old Juicy 7's. Am I behind on routine maintenance? Is there any reason to bleed them if they are working fine?

I am going on 3 years with my Juicy 7's and still going strong. (knock-knock). No need to bleed if they are working...

Wobbegong

It is worth noting that the Gore Ride-On Cables are returning to the market this fall.

This system has very very low friction. It is a sealed system that really keeps the mud out.

I would definitely run these cables on a bike with mech brakes.

They stopped making these cables almost 10 years ago and I still see bikes that have the original set still working strong.

j-

Will you be stocking them when available?

Top Bottom