Mechanical Disc Brakes

mtnbiker5

Mechanicals

I rode the Avid Mechanicals for years, never really had any problems other than replacing pads. I recently upgraded however to the Avid Juicy Ultimates. I will never go back to the Mechanicals. The feel is incredible on these, very little effort to brake especially when bombing in wet weather. No problems whatsoever to report with bleeding. Expensive? Depends. You can find a set online at a resonable price. Once you try these you'll never want another mechanical setup again.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I rode the Avid Mechanicals for years, never really had any problems other than replacing pads. I recently upgraded however to the Avid Juicy Ultimates. I will never go back to the Mechanicals. The feel is incredible on these, very little effort to brake especially when bombing in wet weather. No problems whatsoever to report with bleeding. Expensive? Depends. You can find a set online at a resonable price. Once you try these you'll never want another mechanical setup again.

You're getting me all excited...I just put a set of Formula "The One's" on the 5-spot. I haven't ridden it yet, but just by squeezing the lever I can already tell they're going to be way better than the Avid BB7's in feel (they are that remarkable).

mtnbiker5

Brakes

Oh no doubt. You just hit the nail on the head. Its the feel of the brake that is so important. Anyone can test ride hydraulics in a shop parking lot and feel the way it responds. What matters is after an hour or so of hammering, middle of July when its 90 and 100% humidity, thats when you'll appreciate the feel and power of hydraulics. Tellin' ya, at least with me, as I get older, its all about power, feel and comfort.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
You're getting me all excited...I just put a set of Formula "The One's" on the 5-spot. I haven't ridden it yet, but just by squeezing the lever I can already tell they're going to be way better than the Avid BB7's in feel (they are that remarkable).

Those brakes are sweet. You're gonna feel a BIG difference!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Those brakes are sweet. You're gonna feel a BIG difference!

Yeah, I'm excited. Though, I have the first "The One" warranty return in the US. Chris & Greg at Formula USA expedited a replacement to my front door ('will be here today). I didn't even have to give 'em a CC # or anything, they just sent it trusting I'll return the defective one.

The rear lever was returning slowly. I investigated and found that the recess for the shoulder of the pivot bolt was slightly off center (we're talking a thousandths or two) causing the pivot bolt to bind on the body.

It was a little disappointing considering the reputation of Formula brakes, but hey, it is a completely new brake and nothing is 100% perfect on this planet. With world class CS, it's all good...plus I had fun picking it a part to find the problem.

My UGI run on the 5-spot is almost complete. I got a little outta' control this winter with a: new fork, new shock, 5.5" rockers, the new brakes, Serfas Saddle, FSA Team Issue Carbon Cranks, went 2x9 and dropped to a medium cage rear der w/RF bash, and Ergon grips. The only things I haven't upgraded are the seat post, stem, bars, wheels, and gripshifts; all that stuff, except for the bars and gripshifts are already "upgraded".

A lighter set of bars (it has a Salsa Loco on it now) and maybe upgrade the gripshifts from X9 to X0...then I'm outta' stuff....

Hmm....'wonder what I can do to my son's 24" Specialized Hotrock.....

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Good move. I thought it was just me but I used my big ring a total of about 20 minutes last year.

It was rare I was on the big ring too, but I found the 32T middle ring a little low for my tastes sometimes. So when I went to a 2X9, I also went from a 22/32 to a 24/36 (11-34 in the rear). I only have a couple of rides on this setup so far, but so far I like it better.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you talk to ben he will say dont waste your money on anything that is just gonna slow you down. Hell yea!

I agree, though that's for my race bike. If I was building a bike more for technical stuff, not racing, I'd prefer the best in brakes.

Top Bottom