maybe in the market

heythorp

The whole size issue may or may not be a problem. Some people really like it. I have read some threads around the net where girls really like the 29er too(ok i am not calling you a girl but you know what i mean) I know someone who is 6' and hates 29ers.

I think your only option would be to try one, but that is a problem around here becaues other then Jdog I dont know any shops that stock SS.

The sass is a great bike, the guy has it wrong in his post it stands for Shiny ass SS....symantics...

Seems like a pretty fair price. Of course less is always more. SS do seem to be getting a premium or at the very least have a very high resale value right now. There are a few of us riding the SASS here on MTBNJ.

At least i kept it coherent. hope you were able to follow my line of thinking. i was a bit distracted.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Sparta Brad said:
Would I be able to give it a test ride sometime? How does 17" frame compare to my medium Epic?

I tend to ride smaller frames so I matched this to my medium rockhopper. It's not built up right now but if you want to throw some parts on it, you're more then welcome to give it a try.

heythorp

Sparta Brad said:
Would I be able to give it a test ride sometime? How does 17" frame compare to my medium Epic?

Brad you are on an medium epic?

if so you would probably be ok on a 17 frame. Who sold you that epic? Not Jessie?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the sass is indeed a great bike and if i were looking at a 26er for my SS, that would be my choice. granted, i don't beat on other people's stuff like i do my own, but it's a tough bike.

as for the 29er...i would DEFINITELY give it a try. i was a non-beliver, but now am 100% on board. i also don't know any shops around here stocking them yet...but there are TWO haro mary's on ebay right now. may be too big for you though.

all that said, if you can get into that SASS cheap, i would go for it. it's a proven bike for sure.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
don't know that 17" frame would work well for a person 5'4"...

that bianchi looks like a good deal though.

SpartaBard

anrothar said:
don't know that 17" frame would work well for a person 5'4"...

that bianchi looks like a good deal though.

What are your thoughts on a 26 vs 29er for me? I know you personally prefer the 29er b/c that is what you have on the poop brown bike of yours.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i would think it's different for everyone. i couldn't say for sure how you would like it. i know that below 17" you are somewhat limited in your choice of a 29er. i do find that it rolls so much better in general. i also think, because of that fact, that it is a better option for singlespeeds because of the oh so important momentum factor.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My personal theory (WAG): The SS folk are used to having to grind gears and do lower cadence stuff at higher force that the added weight of the 29 inch wheel really doesn't bother them as much. And as mentioned, once you get going...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
try the 29er. they roll SOOOOOO much smoother than a 26". i'm not what most people would call a tall man but after the initial 'vertigo' (which was gone AS SOON AS i got in the woods) i loved it. it really smooths out the chattery stuff.

heythorp

There may be a sizing issue here. I am not so sure anyone offers a 29er in a 16 inch frame. I have not run around and researched it, but it might be easier said then done.

S

Stan LeCupp

bonefishjake said:
try the 29er. they roll SOOOOOO much smoother than a 26". i'm not what most people would call a tall man but after the initial 'vertigo' (which was gone AS SOON AS i got in the woods) i loved it. it really smooths out the chattery stuff.

Jake was the bike you tested a full rigid? I thinking about a 29er rigid but not sure if it will be too harsh without susp fork.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
16!!

heythorp said:
There may be a sizing issue here. I am not so sure anyone offers a 29er in a 16 inch frame. I have not run around and researched it, but it might be easier said then done.

I have a 16" built up on the floor of my shop.

I think that it should fit you fine.

Come down if you would like to come spin it around. I think that you will be surprised how smooth a 29er can be. Suspension is almost overkill.

j

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
14" 29er's are out there..

Someone makes a 14" that i saw in Dirtrag but it might have been custom...

j-

Top Bottom