maybe in the market

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stan LeCupp said:
Jake was the bike you tested a full rigid? I thinking about a 29er rigid but not sure if it will be too harsh without susp fork.

i rode a karate monkey with a reba. i don't think it would be too harsh without a shock but i couldn't say for sure. some reports have the 29er providing what amounts to almost and inch of cush w/o a fork. me, i'm going with a suspension fork.

SpartaBard

jdog said:
I have a 16" built up on the floor of my shop.

I think that it should fit you fine.

Come down if you would like to come spin it around. I think that you will be surprised how smooth a 29er can be. Suspension is almost overkill.

j

Is the 16" frame comparable to my Small Sp. Epic?

I assume you would recommend the 29er over the 26 even for someone as vertically challenged as myself?

I guess it ultimately comes down to feel. I may take you up on your offer for a test ride.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Hmnmmn.. From the size of things..

Sparta Brad said:
Is the 16" frame comparable to my Small Sp. Epic?

I assume you would recommend the 29er over the 26 even for someone as vertically challenged as myself?

I guess it ultimately comes down to feel. I may take you up on your offer for a test ride.

Hard to say.. There is a 23" effective toptube on the 16" frame. If your current top tube is close to that than you should be OK... or not.

Every 29er I have ridden felt HUGE for the first 10 minutes on it. After that I forgot about everything and enjoyed the +'s : Better traction, Tons of Momentum, Great ground clearance, and the new bike high!

My main mt bike for the last while has been a SS Seven ti bike with a 80mm travel Headshok. This bike should be the last bike I need but..

I just ordered a Cannondale In a Med while I always have ridden a Large.

The Aluminum C-dale rides much rougher than the steel Haro. That is why the 80mm Lefty will be so welcome. From what I can tell 80mm on a 29er is a lot like 110mm on a 26er.

I am doing a singlespeed conversion with an ENO Disc rear hub.

I am pretty exited about spending more time on a 29er. Truth be told if I like it as much as I think that I will than there will be a TI Seven 29er SS in my future.

j

walter

Fourth Party
Ride a 29er

I bought my Mary from J in the beginning of september and I have to say it is an incredible bike. No need for suspension, the wheels and the steel smooth everything out, it climbs better than any bike I have ridden and is just a joy to ride. I have been through 7 bikes in four years and the Mary is going to stay, best money I've spent by far.

walter

jdog

Shop Keep
I personally didn't like them.. I wanted to but I am so used to the Ergon grips on a riser bar that everything else felt weird. They actually hurt my wrists a little. It might also have a lot to do with the fact that the day that I rode them was the first day in 10 years that I rode a full ridgid bike in the woods.

It seems that most guys have taken them off in favor of a low rise 8-11 degree bend bar.

The mary bars are certainly different and I would encourage you to form your own opinion. I have a few pairs that have come off bikes if you want a set for much less than normal. They are in 25.4 so if you have a 31.8 stem you will be out of luck.

My guess is that in a year or two 25.4 will be dead or near dead.

j

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sparta Brad said:
Ok, I will pass then on the Bianche and keep my eyes open for a 29er.

brad, seriously, if you can get down to see j this weekend, do it before you sell yourself on a 29er w/o riding one. all i can tell you is that for me, i'd never go back to riding a 26er SS after riding that bike.

i won't be bailing on my fuel anytime soon though. i literally beat the snot outta that bike and it just takes it. it's a thing a beauty. now, if i could just find a 5 foot drop to take it off of and REALLY test it. :D

jdog

Shop Keep
nice

walter said:
I bought my Mary from J in the beginning of september and I have to say it is an incredible bike. No need for suspension, the wheels and the steel smooth everything out, it climbs better than any bike I have ridden and is just a joy to ride. I have been through 7 bikes in four years and the Mary is going to stay, best money I've spent by far.

walter

Hey Walt,

Glad to see that you are still digging the Mary.

Have you done any work to it?? Have you been happy with the stock setup?

Gearing??

I have sold a few guys Easton Carbon Bars and posts. This gives a big weight savings and ride comfort seems to be better.

j

jdog

Shop Keep
halterscycles.com

The site blows.. It is old and out of date.

j

walter

Fourth Party
Hey Jay

jdog said:
Hey Walt,

Glad to see that you are still digging the Mary.

Have you done any work to it?? Have you been happy with the stock setup?

Gearing??

I have sold a few guys Easton Carbon Bars and posts. This gives a big weight savings and ride comfort seems to be better.

j

Thanks again for setting me up with a great bike, totally happy. Mary is still all stock for now but after the holidays I will be in to see you to start Mary on a diet. Gonna start with the basics and then we'll take it from there. I've been at Allaire alot and have been seeing a growing number of single speeds out there, so thats cool. As for now lights are not in the near future so do you do any daytime 6 mile tours? I have been there a few times but would like to get to see everything.

catch you later,
walter

jdog

Shop Keep
If you can ever swing a weekday morning I would gladly give you the tour.

Let me know.

J

jdog

Shop Keep
That is just a nice bike ride..

heythorp said:
55 miles from Denville.

Yeah.. I hear you.

I have a good friend who lives on Lake Mohawk and another who lives in Randolph so I do the drive a fair amount.

Funny thing is that lately I see all kinds of people driving from way up North to ride down here..

If you are ever near by for any reason stop by and say yello.

j

Top Bottom