Max HR?

monteverest

Anyone help with a calculation for max HR? I bought a HR monitor to help lose the 20lbs gained since 2006 and according to two quick tests (step up and stand up), my max HR is around 197.

I took the monitor out for a ride today (haven't had too many of these in awhile) and my HR peaked at 214 and my average HR for 1hr 22 minutes was 169, which zone 4 for a 197 max. I would probably be dead if the numbers are accurate. Anyone think the monitor is overcounting or is my max HR off?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Super quick rough method 220-age.This is only gonna make yer #s even crazier. I too just started this monitor stuff. My "cruisin" HR is 188ish. Moving to my 3rd monitor cause everyone around me thats into this stuff says my #s are too good to be true. Maybe MTBNJ has found two freaks in the same week:hmmm:

giff06

By doing a 20 min HR test I calc avg HR riding at my time trial effort for the 20 min interval and use 95% of that number to get my lactate threshold. I then use that number to establish my other training zones. You can also do 2 x 8 min or 3 mile time trial efforts and avg. those HR to establish HR 4/5a. Without doing a lab test for lactate threshold where they prick your finger about a million times and measure your blood lactate level either one of these should give you a good estimate. Lactate threshold is a personal number and different for each individual. This is a much safer way to establish training zones than trying to establish a Max HR. I generally use HR to guage effrots from HR zones 1 to 3 and power to train intervals in the 4 to 5b/c zones.
Ed Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

monteverest

I've heard of Hardtale's prowress on a bike and I'm slow like aged Kentucky whiskey so I'm not sure these numbers are an accurate indicator of much.

I'll take Ed's advice and set up a baseline.

Hey Hardtale, with a high max HR, I wonder if you can perform a physical activity with consistency even after a long layoff. For me, even when out of shape, I can still run 6 miles in 42 minutes (of course I'll pay for it the next day)

Panhead

I use the 220- age method, which gives me a max of 179. I try to stay around 130 or so but the only time that happens is at home on the trainer.

Usually run at 165-170. Last year at CP I was steady 185 for 3 hours, cramping the whole time. No matter what I did the rate wouldn't come down, even spiked it above 200 a few times.
The second 3 hours saw it drop to 165.

Looks like 3 mtbnj freaks.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
I've heard of Hardtale's prowress on a bike and I'm slow like aged Kentucky whiskey so I'm not sure these numbers are an accurate indicator of much.

I'll take Ed's advice and set up a baseline.

Hey Hardtale, with a high max HR, I wonder if you can perform a physical activity with consistency even after a long layoff. For me, even when out of shape, I can still run 6 miles in 42 minutes (of course I'll pay for it the next day)

Thats interesting. I just ride when i feel like it or when somethin fun is goin on(4-6 times a month) and seem to be able to hang w/ peeps that "train". My existence revovles around physical labor so the bike is like vacation for me(especially the road bike).So yeah, I just stay at at least 80% ability sittin around watchin Jerry Springer.............:hmmm:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Generally speaking it is pretty hard to get your heart rate over 200. It may be interference.

Just for the record, I am on my 3rd HR monitor this year. They all seem pick up interference, and run high or low. Two of my teammates have the same problem and we all use different brands. Maybe we are all freaks.;)

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
High max heart rate doesn't say much. I'm 26 and regularly hit 210 and have held 195 for almost 2 hrs in an xc race. My tested lthr is 192 but I think it's realistically more like 195-196. I've had the same results with different straps and headunits. My rhr is 50ish fwiw.

giff06

Interference is certainly a problem. I know some HR monitors have you isolate yourself from other possible users when starting it up so the monitor recognizes your transmitter. Another thing we noticed is they use a portable weather station over the winter at Island Beach State Park where we do road intervals and when that is there it messes up all of our wireless devices. The only solution Pat and I have found on the tandem is for me to use a regular Polar HRM ( non-coded) and for her to use a coded transmitter strap with her Poler receiver.That seems to work.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

freeride

the cheap polar hrm about 50 bux is great

i hit 186 last night on trainor. i did reach 200 this summer when it was 100 deg fahren

214 i think you be a pro athlete/olympian

loosing weight is hard this time of year. running is great way to drop lbs

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Anyone help with a calculation for max HR? I bought a HR monitor to help lose the 20lbs gained since 2006 and according to two quick tests (step up and stand up), my max HR is around 197.

I took the monitor out for a ride today (haven't had too many of these in awhile) and my HR peaked at 214 and my average HR for 1hr 22 minutes was 169, which zone 4 for a 197 max. I would probably be dead if the numbers are accurate. Anyone think the monitor is overcounting or is my max HR off?

HR Max I think is overrated and usually not computed for training purposes. BiknBen is very knowledgeable when it comes to HR training. If you want to loose the pounds when cycling, staying in HR zone 2 for an hour+ will shed the weight.
Joe Friel will tell you the way to calculate your HR zones is to first know your
threshold 85% +/- Zone 2 is roughly 65-70% of your max HR. Finding Zone 2 you can compute it here http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/hr.shtml this will give you a rough idea.
RC ... :popcorn:

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Brett talks so much trash he creates his own interference.

Sometime this winter you will be on your hands and knees in the snow begging me to make it stop.BTW got another monitor and am takin it out on the road tommorrow. Goin 210 son:getsome:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should go to the Scramble and we can draw Ws on each other's forehead. I plan to not be here for much of the snow this year.

Top Bottom