Mavic Question

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I changed my cassette today and noticed that there was some play in the free wheel. I could rock the cassette side to side after it was tightened down. The bearings in the hub seem to be tight. Wheels are Mavic SLRs. Any suggestions?

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
thanks. I found the spacer on the old cassette and it seemed to help. There still is a small wiggle, but its much better.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
thanks. I found the spacer on the old cassette and it seemed to help. There still is a small wiggle, but its much better.

It's kind of inherent in the design of mavics. Mavic hubs are fairly high maintenance. However, they are very easy to service. What happens a lot of times is the freehub body rubs on the hubshell and wears at it a bit. There is also a nylon bushing on the freehub that can wear as well. That's most likely where the play is coming from. I've been able to get the play out by cleaning and lubing the internals. I've tried a few lubes, but what seems to work is phil wood tenacious oil and I cut with tri flow to thin it out. That's worth a try.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
It's kind of inherent in the design of mavics. Mavic hubs are fairly high maintenance. However, they are very easy to service. What happens a lot of times is the freehub body rubs on the hubshell and wears at it a bit. There is also a nylon bushing on the freehub that can wear as well. That's most likely where the play is coming from. I've been able to get the play out by cleaning and lubing the internals. I've tried a few lubes, but what seems to work is phil wood tenacious oil and I cut with tri flow to thin it out. That's worth a try.

I took it apart and relubed with a bit of slick honey. There still is the wiggle. Can I buy just the nylon bushing or do I need to get the freewheel body?

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I took it apart and relubed with a bit of slick honey. There still is the wiggle. Can I buy just the nylon bushing or do I need to get the freewheel body?

nope. gotta get the whole body. Was the hub shell scored or anything?
If it is, a new freehub body may not solve the problem.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
The wheel set is less than a year old, I got it the beginning of September. The nylon bushing did not look to be marked up and the hub body looked fine too. I figured they would not sell just the nylon bushing, everything looked to be of high tolerances in there.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Did you replace the pawls by any chance? They are cheap and easy to replace. It may make it a little better

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
No replacement of parts, just a tear down, wipe down and reassemble to see how SOL I might be for Sunday.

Maurice

IME all Mavic freehubs wiggle a bit. It's not a big deal, under the slightest of loads it centers itself so it doesn't affect shifting. The design is a bit crappy in that respect, but I've got a rear XL that looks like crap after 3 seasons of beating on it, with a freehub that wiggles quite a bit, but still works flawlessly. The only time I had problems was when the freehub split widthwise.

I wish they brought back the old freehub design, with a bearing instead of the white bushing. The white bushing wears, but also causes the mating surface to wear.

BTW, slick honey might make the pawls stick. I use chainsaw oil, mineral oil. I believe that's what Mavic recommends.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
IME all Mavic freehubs wiggle a bit. It's not a big deal, under the slightest of loads it centers itself so it doesn't affect shifting. The design is a bit crappy in that respect, but I've got a rear XL that looks like crap after 3 seasons of beating on it, with a freehub that wiggles quite a bit, but still works flawlessly. The only time I had problems was when the freehub split widthwise.

I wish they brought back the old freehub design, with a bearing instead of the white bushing. The white bushing wears, but also causes the mating surface to wear.

BTW, slick honey might make the pawls stick. I use chainsaw oil, mineral oil. I believe that's what Mavic recommends.

Ok, so I wont worry about it. I'll see if I have some lighter oil laying around and relube it. I think I have some tri flow laying around.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Top Bottom