Massive Plant Growth this year?

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I don't know if it is me, but are the plants growing faster this year? I have ridden Stephens, Deer Park and Allamuchy North and some of the trails are almost closed in already with plant life. Usually that tends to happen later in the season, but here it is at the beginning of June.

I've got to charge up my batteries and bring my hedge trimmers with me for some TM.

Here is another theory -- have we reach the point of trail saturation in Northwestern NJ? Are these trails now so underutilized that they are growing in early? We've got Stephens, Deer Park, Allamuchy North, Kittatinny, Dickerson Mine & Mahlon all within 20 minutes of each other. :hmmm:

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chimney Rock, 6 Mile & Round Valley are all like this too. Seems way early for the amount of growth. 2 of those 3 are very well ridden so the theory isn't a good one. My arms are pretty scratched up. Guess its going to be that kind of season.

gtluke

The Moped
I was told global warming would cause droughts, but if not droughts than rain. if not rain or droughts than cold weather. But definitely not hot weather. Unless we get hot weather, than hot weather is definately global warming.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was told global warming would cause droughts, but if not droughts than rain. if not rain or droughts than cold weather. But definitely not hot weather. Unless we get hot weather, than hot weather is definately global warming.

whoa dude...that's like all science and stuff...
We have already had a trim session at allaire and there are stil a few trails that need a little off the top. but then my grass has come in really good so far this year. So I blame Sandy...

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Riding does not beat back the vegetation, hard works does. I spent several hours trimming in Wildcat this weekend. On the plus side, it helps keep trails narrow.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had this conversation in regards to allergies recently with someone. The allergy season is super long this year.

I think the way the rain has gone this year has been perfect for plant growth and pollination. Everything is extremely happy. Those with allergies know that rain makes them go away briefly. So of course you notice every time it rains. Well, it seems like this spring it has been raining somewhat heavily every 3-5 days then it's sunny after that. It feels like plants are growing fast, pollinating more, and everything is growing very fast.

The deer should be in extreme overabundance by the fall.

Or maybe I'm full of shit. Or both.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Riding does not beat back the vegetation, hard works does. I spent several hours trimming in Wildcat this weekend. On the plus side, it helps keep trails narrow.

Well, yes and no. I know it takes hard work to trim back the upper vegetation, but the trails are also closing in low to the ground. The single track seemed thinner with more vegetation growing down low/middle of the trail, too.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I agree, if there was no use then the trails would eventually disappear.
The hardpack prevents the stuff from sprouting.
We appreciate any time that folks can devote to helping us keep the trails open.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Some sections of Hartshorne are gonna soon be damn near impassible with the growth that all of this rain produces.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I think Norm pinged it this year the pollen was the worst I have seen in a long time also all the trees that blossom where out very early around the office...and more ticks this year so far then I have seen before..not big ones in blue skin suits but a lot just the same..

Top Bottom