Massanutten, VA

Heading down there in a few weeks for a weekend. Is there anything worth checking out that justifies bringing the bike down and negotiating with the wife to let me leave her for multiple hours with the kids? How about road riding? TIA.

Heading down there in a few weeks for a weekend. Is there anything worth checking out that justifies bringing the bike down and negotiating with the wife to let me leave her for multiple hours with the kids? How about road riding? TIA.

Ummm ... too much to process ... :D

Massanutten is right near where they have the SM 100. There are several hundred miles of trails in that area. And some of the best riding in the east. There's a lot of back-country stuff, which can be pretty intimidating if you aren't riding with someone who has local knowledge (seriously -- you can get goinig on a trail and disappear into the woods out there. George Washington Forest is massive.) If you can find a hook-up, it's definitely worth it. If you want to stick to the road, drive a little south to Charlottesville to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway, one of the most scenic road rides in the country. You can go as far as you like and then turnaround to head back.

Thanks for the info. My days of wingin it on an unknown trail are over. I need to get my hands on a nice gpx file. I see that there's a skyline drive close by as well. If I go the road route, I might just hit that up.

This place never disappoints…70F today! Hitting the Nut on Sunday!
145DB2AC-C59E-4E0C-BDC3-FEC50285A23C.jpeg

View from my campsite in Stokesville…
05A81C07-A093-4C0D-8A9C-0DC227974130.jpeg

I assume you looked up Gordon? Though last I saw on Strava he was in CA.

Enjoy!

Thats the most glorious sight after 100 miles of relentless climbs!
You are right; the climbing here is no joke. After three days, i am punch drunk. Really cannot fathom a 100 miler here. Going to relax a bit tomorrow and ride Hillandale for the first time. Then The Nut on Sunday when hunting takes a break.

You are right; the climbing here is no joke. After three days, i am punch drunk. Really cannot fathom a 100 miler here. Going to relax a bit tomorrow and ride Hillandale for the first time. Then The Nut on Sunday when hunting takes a break.
Totally agree with you on the climbing, I’ve been exploring a bit but have not made it to George Washington Nation Forest yet even though my house is technically part of it. I’m about 45 mins from where you are now by Wintergreen. We moved here in May from Clark, NJ.
If you do head to Massanutten I’ve found Mr J’s bagels in Harrisonburg are pretty darn good, I stock up on them when I head that way.

Post up how Hillandale is. It was too wet when we were there.

Totally agree with you on the climbing, I’ve been exploring a bit but have not made it to George Washington Nation Forest yet even though my house is technically part of it. I’m about 45 mins from where you are now by Wintergreen. We moved here in May from Clark, NJ.
If you do head to Massanutten I’ve found Mr J’s bagels in Harrisonburg are pretty darn good, I stock up on them when I head that way.
Cool. I have ridden road & mtn in w-green. Beautiful spot. My buddy had a condo out that way. Considered buying on out there myself but I could get past the maint fees. Great views & beer in your hood. I will check out M-J’s!

For @Norm I will post up my impressions of H&D.

OK. @Norm Hit Hillandale today. Cool little park; reminds me of Six Mile but flatter with some limestone/soap stone. Really small. Pump track and jump line that are cool but also really small. Love the fact that it is downtown. Great for newbies and kids. Wished I would have been riding The Nut (hunting in play today) or GWNF but I am grateful for another beautiful day. Unless you are driving past this place with your kit on and want to warm up for 45mins; keep driving and go the The Nut or GWNF IMO. Good JORBA research 😀

Back
Top Bottom