MASS enduro series experience?

What questions do you have? Plenty of members here raced them. I didn't do them all but got to Blue Mtn, Glen Park, and Steel City... each place so drastically different.

They're a lot of fun! It's like a chill day riding bikes with friends

I'll add my interest to this thread.

After racing XC for a zillion years, I'm intrigued by the enduro format, but have zero experience as a gravity-focused rider, never mind racing.
I can tell you a bit about enduro racing, but I’ve never raced the MASS series. Each promoter handles things a little different but the baseline is always the same. Are you familiar with the basic format? Enduro is really fun. If you’re strong XC it will definitely help. But the top guys are basically DH racers with XC endurance.

I've done a few of them - including Raven Enduro (mix of sand/roots and some rocks/tech) - and while I haven't raced at the new venue in Danville, the Pig Iron, I've ridden Geisinger trails a lot (steeper/shale).

I like the vibe of enduros (over XC) where the climbs are more relaxed and I prefer riding in more of a time-trial format. The MASS races are a great way to try out Enduro - the ESC is a step up as far as terrain (and competition) IMHO.

What questions do you have? Plenty of members here raced them. I didn't do them all but got to Blue Mtn, Glen Park, and Steel City... each place so drastically different.

They're a lot of fun! It's like a chill day riding bikes with friends

Thanks Matt. honestly it’s all stuff I’d find out when I get there but figured I’d start the conversation. I’m excited and this is way better than work emails.

At this time I’ve got Raven, Pig Iron, Jones, Blue and Steel City as probable. Greek, Glen unlikely.

I’ve ridden Blue and Walking Purchase. What did you think of Glen Park? Looks like a great spot.

Thanks Matt. honestly it’s all stuff I’d find out when I get there but figured I’d start the conversation. I’m excited and this is way better than work emails.

At this time I’ve got Raven, Pig Iron, Jones, Blue and Steel City as probable. Greek, Glen unlikely.

I’ve ridden Blue and Walking Purchase. What did you think of Glen Park? Looks like a great spot.
Glen Park is a ton of fun if you like steep, loamy trails. The runs aren't super long and there isn't too much pedaling in the stages like Walking Purchase. Personally, Glen Park is one of my favorites because the climb up isn't too bad and then each run is a good mix of fast, flow, and some tight turns. Also, if you like jumps and drops, there are some really good photo spots for when you are racing. Overall, I've noticed that the MASS series is super inviting and great if you want to get into enduro racing. That's where I started and where I eventually fell in love with enduro so you are already on the right track.

Im gonna throw a hat in a couple of ESC as they have ebike enduro races series going on. Im glad to see it starting to gain traction. Besides i need some new ebike friends 😁

Im unaware if same can be said about Mass unless someone says differently.

Im gonna throw a hat in a couple of ESC as they have ebike enduro races series going on. Im glad to see it starting to gain traction. Besides i need some new ebike friends 😁

Im unaware if same can be said about Mass unless someone says differently.
1678809240909.png

Not sure if the single post will show, but it was here in the Team Registration post. https://www.facebook.com/groups/42808154845/search/?q=ebike

Additional e-bike specific stuff in all the post.

Might go and do Powder Ridge in CT end of April. Chance to go to new Counterweight brewpub and visit friends too

Glen Park is the best enduro venue overall that I have ever done in terms of just pure FUN. Its fun and flowy....but it has enough quick turns, short steeps, little jumps, roots, different lines.....it can be challenging to put a full, clean run together at speed. Like on a scale...Mountain Creek was brutally hard, steel city is really easy....Glen park is somewhere in the middle.....Although @Meatball Mia and @muddybike have done like every enduro course from here to Maine and back, so they could go on about the details of all of them.

I have raced a few of them now and they have changed over time....blue is also fun, you take the lift up, so its more of a DH race imo, but its a good time. Steel city is probably the easiest most pedaly enduro I have done around here, but I love to pedal, so I enjoy it.
Overall, I've noticed that the MASS series is super inviting and great if you want to get into enduro racing.
Mia nailed this pretty well....the Mass series races compared to say ESC are usually a notch below in terms of difficult terrain (Glen park aside, courses are pretty similar) and they are more lax with start times, etc....its a more fun, less serious vibe I feel than ESC. I like both of them, but ESCs timing system is much better.

I would always tell any person new to enduro to go and pre ride the course, or at least the park. Some people like @Matt ride better without pre riding, I know a few others...but I am not one of them.....I love knowing everything out there. First time though, I would ride it. Especially with MASS because it will be to know where the actual finish like boxes are that you need to chip out at. I have been in many races were a few tenths of a second was huge and fumbling around trying to find the box and chip out is really costly.

To clarify a little- I'm all for getting out there and pre-riding a course to become familiar with it. I made the mistake of pre-riding the entire Blue Mtn course the day before the race. Figured especially with lift access I shouldn't be too tired for the race Sunday morning because "it's not XC where I'm pedaling a lot"..... New to Enduro I didn't realize how much effort you put in. And unlike XC where you can "pedal easy", in the techy chunk sections there is no "going easy".... just GO.

I woke up Sunday morning for the race feeling like I got hit by a bus. And the first stage for me started with Chunkleberry. My legs and arms were shot and I didn't ride clean at all (*but still had fun!!)

So my lesson learned is to preride at least a few days in advance if you want to see ALL the stages. Don't beat yourself up the day before trying to see it all 😉

To clarify a little- I'm all for getting out there and pre-riding a course to become familiar with it. I made the mistake of pre-riding the entire Blue Mtn course the day before the race. Figured especially with lift access I shouldn't be too tired for the race Sunday morning because "it's not XC where I'm pedaling a lot"..... New to Enduro I didn't realize how much effort you put in. And unlike XC where you can "pedal easy", in the techy chunk sections there is no "going easy".... just GO.

I woke up Sunday morning for the race feeling like I got hit by a bus. And the first stage for me started with Chunkleberry. My legs and arms were shot and I didn't ride clean at all (*but still had fun!!)

So my lesson learned is to preride at least a few days in advance if you want to see ALL the stages. Don't beat yourself up the day before trying to see it all 😉

I'm in the same boat as you, not enough leg to pre-ride and be chipper the next day. If you race say, Glen Park you could go up a few weekends before, ride the popular trails and get a feel for the layout. Then you won't be completely in the dark come race day. As a mid-pack enduro guy, chipping out delays aren't going to make a huge difference in overall position.
@tree hugger
MASS is a tiny bit cheaper, ESC you get a cool MX lookin' number plate. MASS you get a glorified credit card you need to wave at a beacon on the start and end of your run. MASS has a real transponder. And yeah, a little more relaxed vibe maybe. Easiest thing to do is chat with someone in your group who's done it before and follow them around.

I'm in the same boat as you, not enough leg to pre-ride and be chipper the next day.
For reference, I was in pretty decent XC shape at the time. Not a monster like some of the forum crew, but I could put down a solid 3 laps.

Enduro is a ton of fun, but a totally different game. I was happy with my results last year. I don't like being competitive, and with the first-timer jitters gone (ie OPs reason for the thread, I think) I'm REALLY looking forward to this season

For anyone questioning doing a MASS Enduro... just do it. Even if you go in blind, it'll be a great experience 🤘

I did the full MASS series a few years ago and it was a blast. I've done a handful of ESC enduros as well and it's a totally different vibe, much more pressure. The key to enduro is just being as smooth and efficient as possible. I always have to remind myself that the fun line on the trail usually isn't the fastest. Also try not to think about the guy dropping in 30 sec behind you. I've gotten in my head with this and completely blown stages looking over my shoulder when really it's very unlikely someone is going to close a 30 sec gap on you. I've had two crashes in a single run and still wasn't taken. It's all a mind game.

I'm in the same boat as you, not enough leg to pre-ride and be chipper the next day.

Lesson learned.... don't do a full pre-ride the day before the event. I was faster pre-riding blind than I was racing the next day with a sore body, even at Blue with lift access 😅

Pro tip from the pro @muddybike from her European swing last year... prE-ride. The "E" being the focus... borrow/rent/demo/buy an e-bike.

That's all I got, but I am euduro-curious as well.

Back
Top Bottom