maltodextrin

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
bozizle said:
Unlike Gatorade and others there are no simple sugars in their drinks so you don't spike your energy levels.

I've done a lot of reading about this, and it's my belief that this is a myth propagated by Hammer Nutrition. Technically maltodextrin is a long chain complex carb. But several sources say it's a "weak" complex carb. The GI of maltodextrin is high, which means it digests and absorbs very rapidly. They add protein and fat, which may actually hinder the absorption rate.

Having said that, it was the only thing I could stomach in liquid form by the end of Saturday.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I've done a lot of reading about this, and it's my belief that this is a myth propagated by Hammer Nutrition. Technically maltodextrin is a long chain complex carb. But several sources say it's a "weak" complex carb. The GI of maltodextrin is high, which means it digests and absorbs very rapidly. They add protein and fat, which may actually hinder the absorption rate.

Having said that, it was the only thing I could stomach in liquid form by the end of Saturday.

Why do you think you need food additives?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd like Norm to write a comparison of how he felt about bike nutrition in 2006 and 2019.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I use carbo pro for 6+ hr races. It's mostly maltodextrin so if you only drink this stuff w/o any salts on a hot summer race, you might sweat out all your salts, get water intoxication and die, literally.

Many marathoners over hydrate during a race (13% in a study). They will start feeling like crap (many same symtom as dehydration) and keep drinking water and eventually you can die.

https://newrepublic.com/article/86985/the-boston-marathon-and-drinking-too-much-water

https://www.wcvb.com/article/doctors-marathoner-died-from-too-much-water/8126646

I had an episode about 5 miles from finish at the first Bearscat. Thinking back on it, it could have ended badly. Now I make sure take salts with me.

There is a school of thought that you should only drink to thirst (what your body tells you) vs a gallon a day (never proven). Imo you want to have a good balance of salts & water in your system. Not too much of one or the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom