making non boost crank compatible with boost?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have a m7000 crank(SLX), what do I need to do to use it with a boost frame?
I used my older XTR crank on boost frame without doing anything than mess with the BB spacers.Now there a bunch of chainrings with different offsets to tweak chainline. Not, the chainrings move the chain my mm's, which is basically nothing.

rick81721

Lothar
I have a m7000 crank(SLX), what do I need to do to use it with a boost frame?

giph777@@y.gif

serviceguy

The Shimano cranks are different for boost and not boost, not sure if the spider can be swapped out for a boost one, but since the chainring are bolted from the inside you can't add spacers to move he chain line to the outside. With Race Face direct mount (cinch) you would have just changed the chainring.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The Shimano cranks are different for boost and not boost, not sure if the spider can be swapped out for a boost one, but since the chainring are bolted from the inside you can't add spacers to move he chain line to the outside. With Race Face direct mount (cinch) you would have just changed the chainring.
That is only on the newer shimano cranks, however the main difference between the different widths of the newer cranks is the width of the axle of the crank. And yes, you can add spacers to move the crank out, it actually comes with spacers to do such.

serviceguy

That is only on the newer shimano cranks, however the main difference between the different widths of the newer cranks is the width of the axle of the crank. And yes, you can add spacers to move the crank out, it actually comes with spacers to do such.
I was looking at the M7000 series documentation, which is what the OP asked for. Different par numbers for boost and non boost. I don't know thisspecific crank, but where would you add spacers to make it boost if it wasn't?
fc-m7000.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That means you thread 3mm less into the non-drive side (or 6mm if you want to keep symmetry), in addition to up the Q-factor.
Stop over thinking it, it is 3mm.

Most likely he already doesnt have symmetry. Not sure I have had a mtb crank have the same spacers on both sides, ever.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stop over thinking it, it is 3mm.

Most likely he already doesnt have symmetry. Not sure I have had a mtb crank have the same spacers on both sides, ever.

Agree. With suspension designs and changing cranks and spindles between bikes, my stuff is all over the place.
On my race bike I just added a bunch of spacers to the NDS to fit a Stages PM. I can't tell a difference.

Sven Migot

FWIW I run a non-boost SRAM BB on my Giant XTC with a 32t ring. The ring is super close to the frame but works fine. Don't think I could run a 34t tho.

Top Bottom