Make your own energy gel

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
This is the recipe that got me started making my own gel early last year.
Very simple to make and you don't have to cook it.

It certainly works as is, but I've tweaked it for me by using EAS whey protein powder as a base and agave syrup instead of honey for carbs with a lower glycemic index. Most importantly, it tastes surprisingly good. If you use the protein powder and blackstrap molasses it's kinda' like toffee and with the tbs of cocoa it's like raw brownie batter:D. Add it all up and you've got a day's worth of energy in a bottle and a mix that's got some yum factor without the highly processed packaged product aftertaste. You can freeze what you don't use.

Anyone who is interested in making your own and saving a buck while reducing the mass of GU wrappers in landfills or just giving yourself cleaner foods, should definitely try it.

Last edited:

Mare

Cyclo - did you ever make those cookies I sent you the recipe for?

Well, this could be fuel for biking, so I am not totally off topic, am I? Yes, I am. Sorry. So, did you make the cookies?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Soon, my dear... soon!
I do have someone who's been waiting for them and probably lost complete faith in me:eek:. When I make 'em I'll let you know;).

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
My first time out, I packed it in ziploc bags. the intent was to squeeze it out.
BAD IDEA!! Ended up really messy on long hot rides in back pockets.

Better idea: buy a plastic GU or Hammer bottle from your LBS. they're specifically made for multi servings. I like the Hammer bottle best, doesn't slip out of the hand and is more squeezable. Diswasher or hand washable too.

Last edited:

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I have a few recipes for this, and there have been a few posted here within the past year. I have yet to actually make any. Next time I have an all day ride planned I'll make some and put it in a gel flask for the ride.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
This thread has got me trying new combinations. I just tried an almond butter sandwich with honey and sliced kiwi as recovery window food. The fruit on the sandwich is yummy! Banana Elvis style would work too with similar value.

55g carb, 10g protein, 15g fat, 260mg potassium. Check this against your labels on the recovery drinks. It should be close but tastes better IMO:D

Similar value foods:
Chocolate milk
Greek Yogurt with fresh banana

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
any idea how to pack this sticky stuff ?

I think I'm going to use my water bottle holster to carry the mix in the bottle that the honey came in. You know, the cute plastic bear with the big yellow nipple on the top of his head?

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
This thread has got me trying new combinations. I just tried an almond butter sandwich with honey and sliced kiwi as recovery window food. The fruit on the sandwich is yummy! Banana Elvis style would work too with similar value.

55g carb, 10g protein, 15g fat, 260mg potassium. Check this against your labels on the recovery drinks. It should be close but tastes better IMO:D

Similar value foods:
Chocolate milk
Greek Yogurt with fresh banana

mmmm, my kind of recovery meal. I could also live on greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola. mmmmmmm

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I think I'm going to use my water bottle holster to carry the mix in the bottle that the honey came in. You know, the cute plastic bear with the big yellow nipple on the top of his head?

I had that same idea with the plastic bear.:)

Top Bottom