Maine man killed in W. Pa. mountain bike crash

Rozack

FYI

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/08/24/news/doc4a92092694ad9066878620.txt

MONDAY AUGUST 24, 2009 :: Last modified: Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:29 PM EDT
Cyclist found dead near Bradys Run Park

By Michael Pound, Times Staff

BRIGHTON TWP. — A mountain biker was killed near Bradys Run Park Sunday afternoon, apparently when he lost control while riding down a steep hill.

Brighton Township police Chief Howard Blinn said the body of Robert G. Anderson, 44, was found near Beacom Drive and Brady Ridge Road, just outside the county-owned park, around 3:15 p.m. A jogger made the discovery and contacted police, who said it appeared Anderson had been thrown from his bicycle and struck a rock with his head.

“He had a severe laceration between his right eye and his right temple,” Blinn said, adding that the Beaver County Coroner’s office had not yet made a determination of the cause of Anderson’s death. “He was wearing a helmet, but it looked like the cut was just underneath it.”

Anderson, of Long Island, Maine, had brought his 6-year-old daughter to Beaver County to visit his mother, New Brighton resident Betty Anderson; he left them at a playground in Bradys Run around 1:30 p.m. while he took a ride on a trail in and around the park, Blinn said.

“It appeared to our officers that he lost control while coming down a steep hill and struck something,” Blinn said. “It appeared that he was thrown forward from the bike.”

Anderson wasn’t carrying a wallet, but police were able to contact family by using the cell phone he had with him.

Betty Anderson could not be reached on Sunday.

Michael Pound can be reached online at mpound@timesonline.com.

Thin Diesel

This sucks and I feel bad for his family. I thought I'd find somewhere in the stroy that he was not wearing a helmet, but sure enough he was. Very sad. I guess if and when my time comes - biting the dust on a mountain bike (doing what I love) sure beats many other ways to die.

don

Truly bummed to hear this. All the best for his family especially the little one.

mtbiskool

This upsets me. He even wore a helmet and it didn't help. Really sad to hear about this. My prayers are with his family.

Ez-E

That is truly sad, and such a young age. I hope not experience this even though, my luck with injuries is not good. Specially when you have 13 concusions and many other things. My prayers go out to his family.

rlb

Sad story. This is the scary part:

Although Mr. Anderson wore a helmet, his injury was to the side of his head, between his temple and right eye and below the edge of the protective gear.

Top Bottom