Maine Family Vacation

Shaggz

A strong 7
We are looking to go to Maine for a family vacation this summer, and I am hoping to get some advice. Since we have two young children, we are looking for a family friendly, coastal area, somewhere near Portland. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was in the Portland Area this past June with my wife and 18 month old(at the time). We stayed in Portland for a few days and then rented a condo in Ogunquit. Ogunquit has a nice little town with some good resturants that seemed kid friendly. The beach is nice but is only accessed by two parking areas, both of which you have to pay around $15-$20 to park. Some of the hotels have row boats to go across the tidal river to get to the beach. York Beach, which is maybe 15/20 min south has a small boardwalk/ride area but we just drove through so I can't really comment on anything there.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Where did you stay in Portland? Our friends from CA may come out, so we want to be w/in 40 mins of the airport.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Where did you stay in Portland? Our friends from CA may come out, so we want to be w/in 40 mins of the airport.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on the waterfront. We were there during "camp week" when all of the parents come to see their kids at summer camp and the rates were pretty high, a week later they were half the cost. Avoid going during this time, you can call and ask any hotel when it is. We stayed at this hotel because of a wedding, otherwise we might have stayed someplace else.

jimjo

acadia national park is a great place... lots of campgrounds

the town of bar harbor is small but quaint ...

lots of places to rent kyaks places to ride... hike etc

gtluke

The Moped
where I was in Maine, there is NO way to mountain bike casually if you were thinking about it. I swear I've never seen such a compact forrest. I couldn't WALK through it. I doubt there are many trails other than trails that are built/marked. Usually when you are in the middle of nowhere you can find hiking and hunting trails, no way around here.
334255399_Fh8Hb-L-2.jpg

Suhr40

I went to Maine for the first time this past August. We ended up in Bar Harbor/Acadia for most of the trip and had a great time. I brought my bike and kayak. I could bike from either of the two hotels we stayed at and go right into Acadia. There is no real mountain biking in the park, but they have a huge system of carriage trails open to bikes that lead all over the park. I rode up Cadillac Mountain and passed all the cars near the top because of the traffic trying to get parking. The CX bike would have been perfectfor what I was on.Judging by the overall terrain, I am sure that you could find real trails around if you looked hard enough.
One hotel we stayed in was right on the water at the harbor. I took the kayak off the car roof and plopped it into the harbor. It was nice to take the kids around the harbor so easily, and the water was crystal clear. The other nice thing about that hotel is that we could walk to most of the restaurants and shops in town with the kids. It's a very cool area to check out, and I plan to return sometime. But, Bar Harbor is way up there and pretty far up from Portland I think. I have photos, but I guess they are too big to upload.

rocknrollgirl

We just confirmed our renatl at a great place outside of Bar Harbor. Cottages called The Edgewater. We will be able to kayak out the front door!!! Swimming right from the property and huge tide pools when the tide is out. PM if you want more info.

Top Bottom