Mahlon's Best Kept Secret?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Hi All,

I rode a portion of a route from a goatherder's ride this morning that I had ridden once before...and I can't keep it a secret any longer (maybe it isn't much of a secret and I'm just clue-less).

At Mahlon, there is a marked trail that is NOT on the trail maps. It is marked yellow with a black square. Folks, this is one of the nicest little stretches of single track I've ridden since dusting off the Stumpy last fall. It is also a welcome break from the never ending rock gardens in that area.

I've attached a kmz file of my little ride this morning. I've marked where the yellow/black trail intersects the yellow trail (which IS on the map). I rode it in the direction from the yb_intersection2 placemark to the yb_intersection1 placemark. The other direction would be a bit more climbing, I think.

So if you don't know about this little 10-15 minute stretch of single track...make it a point to run it next time you're at Mahlon. You will be all smiles :D:D:D:D

Tim

P.S. If you ride my exact route be aware that the trail I took approaching yb_intersection2 is, uh, challenging between the wall and that point. There are other less technical routes to get to that intersection.

Attachments

• yb.kmz
    11.9 KB · Views: 148

Shaggz

A strong 7
Tim, that is "Stone Gate", and it is fun in either direction. Walter knows it less formally a "the trail we came off just moments before steve did his human pinball impression".

Brad, Sean and I are/were maintaining that section of trail as part of the MCPC Adopt-a-Trail Program. While the design elements are a lot of fun, the trail probably needs a more formal maintenance program to make it more sustainable. Hopefully we can get to it with Russ after the "Wall" reroute is complete.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Tim, that is "Stone Gate", and it is fun in either direction. Walter knows it less formally a "the trail we came off just moments before steve did his human pinball impression".

Brad, Sean and I are/were maintaining that section of trail as part of the MCPC Adopt-a-Trail Program. While the design elements are a lot of fun, the trail probably needs a more formal maintenance program to make it more sustainable. Hopefully we can get to it with Russ after the "Wall" reroute is complete.

Nice work, gents. It is my new favorite trail. In fact, with Mr. Grady going the AK way, I'd be more than happy to take his place with you and Brad maintaining the trail.

PS: Some of the rock features are brilliant.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
I have to reach out to Russ again for the Wall reroute. At the very least, Stone Gate needs to be raked out, especially the lower half. I'll let you know how I make out.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I have to reach out to Russ again for the Wall reroute. At the very least, Stone Gate needs to be raked out, especially the lower half. I'll let you know how I make out.

Overall, it is in really good shape. Just the last down-ish hill portion approaching yb_intersection1 where it gets wider needs a rake. The single track portions were beautifully clear of leaves.

walter

Fourth Party
yes I remember. Steve and Brad looked at me and said, "you go first, enjoy".

Tim, you're right about that trail, I had a shit eating grin from ear to ear. Then I laughed even harder when Shaggz pogo'd his way down the trail.

I dont know which Shaggz moment is more memorable for me, this time at MD and his pogo tricks or the day at KVSP when he looked at me from across the parking lot and then just drove away.:rolleyes:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is indeed a great trail. Someone informed me that when you ride in between those 2 enormous rocks, you've gone through Stone Gate.

I'm a big fan of that and Cascade.

Tim, awesome job offering to step up and fill the big clown shoes of (soon to be) Nanook of the North.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
This is indeed a great trail. Someone informed me that when you ride in between those 2 enormous rocks, you've gone through Stone Gate.

I'm a big fan of that and Cascade.

Tim, awesome job offering to step up and fill the big clown shoes of (soon to be) Nanook of the North.

When the wall reroute is done, it is going to be a pretty nice run from the Cascade trail, through the picnic area, down the wall reroute, over to Stone Gate (as long as you don't go from the wall to Stone Gate the way I did today).

I've had much joy beating the crap out of myself at MD over the last 7-8 months...doing my part to maintain it and make it better is the least I can do.

My feet aren't long, but they are wide. The era of the clown is over...now it is the "Time of the Duck!". Quack!

Shaggz

A strong 7
I dont know which Shaggz moment is more memorable for me, this time at MD and his pogo tricks or the day at KVSP when he looked at me from across the parking lot and then just drove away.:rolleyes:
I use the same mojo with the ladies. Keep 'em guessing, Admiral.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love that trail, especially the steep hill on the way to it / at the end of it. (the one near the headly overlook) Do people ride up that? I have tried a couple times with rather limited success

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I love that trail, especially the steep hill on the way to it / at the end of it. (the one near the headly overlook) Do people ride up that? I have tried a couple times with rather limited success

If you're talking about the steep hill that is chocked full of gnarly stuff, that is something we refer to as "The Wall". If you look closely next time you go by, you'll notice a bunch of little orange flags that layout the reroute that is in progress for that.

Rumor has it a few have climbed the wall. We mortals work on the reroute.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
stone gate is one of three really, really fun trails that were created illegally before any kind of formal trail maintenance got underway at mahlon. like i said, they're really fun, and no loop through the park would be complete without them, but there are some small issues that need adressing.

1: the 'switchback' type section at the bottom needs benchcutting.

2: coming downhill off the big rock roller, the trail should go across the old mining trail, not down it. down it is very fall line and begging for erosion. a tiny bit more rock armoring in one section and it'll be golden.

oh, and that trail i'm assuming you took to get to the top of the hill from the bottom of the wall, is one of my favorite trails anywhere....

that would be great if you stepped up and took my place in the adopt a trail trio for that side tim.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
stone gate is one of three really, really fun trails that were created illegally before any kind of formal trail maintenance got underway at mahlon.

What are the other two?

oh, and that trail i'm assuming you took to get to the top of the hill from the bottom of the wall, is one of my favorite trails anywhere....

Then you, sir, enjoy uber-technical rocky sections a lot more than I do :) I admit I'm a little tired of rocks, rocks, rocks. Though, it just makes Stone Gate all the more bitchin'.

that would be great if you stepped up and took my place in the adopt a trail trio for that side tim.

I'm in brotha'.

Shaggz

A strong 7
knowing sean, i would say Cascade and Beaver Brook (i think that's the name) are the other two trails.

AdvtrJnky

"Stone Gate"

Hey guys...I'm trying to place yb intersection 1 on the Mahlon trail map, is it off Beaver Brook white trail heading south after it intersects with yellow? It just gets better and better at Mahlon!! Thanks Andy

anrothar

entirely thrilled
beaver brook was not created illegally. and it's my favorite trail in the entire world.

stone gate, cascade and 3-rock(the little semi-figure-8 trail that goes down by the old fenced in town dump(the field) are the three in question. all fine trails. some parts of them existed previously though, so it could be said they were creatively resurrected....

anrothar

entirely thrilled
andy, when you cross the paved damn at the bottom of yellow, you turn left and head along the side of it till you atart climbing a very rocky doubletrack. about 1/4 of the way up the double track, before the big rock face, you turn right onto the well marked y/b trail, aka 'stone gate'

Last edited:
Top Bottom