Mahlon Trail Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggz

A strong 7
it only gets harder from that point on. on top of everything else, you have to worry about a canibal on a frankenbike chasing you down

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Yall blow. All the parks were fine, not neglected. You just want all this twisty 6" singletrack to make it seem like you're fast.If a park is boring go faster. Still boring,FASTER. Still boring, FASTER...Whoh yer sponsered!! Stop promoting the sport, your LBS lives off comfort bikes not you or keep on riding on the highlands trail and overlook at MD cause your bored see what happens and sanctioned or not, things like Rollie pollie and candyass are gonna screw the Alla scene as well....band together,talk to government officials and volunteer to dig your own grave................BAM!!

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Whatever floats yer boat

PS Move is almost complete.I will now reside at the foot of Allamuchy mtn again and defend my home trails w/ a vengeance.The prodigal son returns........................................................................be afraid,be very, very afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GOODNITE YALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
for those unfamiliar, our friend brett likes the washed out, heavily eroded trails.

there is more wma land than park land, if my calculations are correct. and those wma lands tend to have miles and miles of washed out, heavily eroded trails that are open to mtn bikers out of hunting season(sundays year round).

the whole sustainability factor doesn't apply only to the ability of one to ride a section of trail, but also of the ability of that trail to have as little of an effect on the environment as possible. all that displaced sediment ends up in our streams, rivers and other bodies of water. that mineral soil(no organic matter) makes small changes to the waters microcosms/ecosystems, which make other small changes, which make other small changes, etc. it's not really a natural process though, because those trails weren't created by nature. it's unnexpected by nature, and causes significant unwanted changes.

our goal at mahlon is certainly not to remove the technicality of the trails. mahlon is, has always been, and will continue to be known for it's technical trails. our goal is to clean up the trails that are there, and get them into shape so that they can last even longer with less maintenance.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
for those unfamiliar, our friend brett likes the washed out, heavily eroded trails.

there is more wma land than park land, if my calculations are correct. and those wma lands tend to have miles and miles of washed out, heavily eroded trails that are open to mtn bikers out of hunting season(sundays year round).

the whole sustainability factor doesn't apply only to the ability of one to ride a section of trail, but also of the ability of that trail to have as little of an effect on the environment as possible. all that displaced sediment ends up in our streams, rivers and other bodies of water. that mineral soil(no organic matter) makes small changes to the waters microcosms/ecosystems, which make other small changes, which make other small changes, etc. it's not really a natural process though, because those trails weren't created by nature. it's unnexpected by nature, and causes significant unwanted changes.

our goal at mahlon is certainly not to remove the technicality of the trails. mahlon is, has always been, and will continue to be known for it's technical trails. our goal is to clean up the trails that are there, and get them into shape so that they can last even longer with less maintenance.

Very well stated!

Shaggz

A strong 7
brett also likes to go braapp...braaappp...braaaap when he rides too. we will work to ensure that that right is never taken away from him on the trails

V

vs779

braapp...braaappp...braaaap

That has already been taken away in north Jersey and about to be ended in south Jersey also.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Wrong again!!!

Yall blow. All the parks were fine, not neglected. You just want all this twisty 6" singletrack to make it seem like you're fast.If a park is boring go faster. Still boring,FASTER. Still boring, FASTER...Whoh yer sponsered!! Stop promoting the sport, your LBS lives off comfort bikes not you or keep on riding on the highlands trail and overlook at MD cause your bored see what happens and sanctioned or not, things like Rollie pollie and candyass are gonna screw the Alla scene as well....band together,talk to government officials and volunteer to dig your own grave................BAM!!

Hey Brett, your starting to sound like another individual we all know! Eveyone has to keep in mind when this stuff getts posted, even if its just an attempt to be funny, it can be used by hikers against us!!! It has happend before!

My resp to Brett, if you dont like what is going on in your backyard send an e-mail to allamuchy@jorba.org or talk with the park and get involved in some other way.

BTW, I can remember when Brett was just getting into biking, then went downhilling...is this the result??? :)

hardtale70

Shop Keep
With all respect Mr. W...

can you read??What i'm saying is stop all the trail cutting period.Park managment responds to complaints. That said, these natural areas were set aside for all. When you cut trail its for you not hikers.When i did my jorba work thru sarah frost i did what the parks wanted(drainage, potholes in lots , weedwacking along roads and visitor areas etc)This benefits ALL, so when someone complains about some moron biker the park super can say that a large part of the labor of park maintenance is done by biker volunteers and 1 incident does not reflect on the cycling community as a whole. This will almost guarantee trail access.Just keep forwardinr YOUR cause and it will only go bad. BTW most horsepeople and hikers comment on how unlike the other "stupid mtbers" i am. who do i sound like??

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
This will be my last post...

can you read??What i'm saying is stop all the trail cutting period.Park managment responds to complaints. That said, these natural areas were set aside for all. When you cut trail its for you not hikers.When i did my jorba work thru sarah frost i did what the parks wanted(drainage, potholes in lots , weedwacking along roads and visitor areas etc)This benefits ALL, so when someone complains about some moron biker the park super can say that a large part of the labor of park maintenance is done by biker volunteers and 1 incident does not reflect on the cycling community as a whole. This will almost guarantee trail access.Just keep forwardinr YOUR cause and it will only go bad. BTW most horsepeople and hikers comment on how unlike the other "stupid mtbers" i am. who do i sound like??

Brett,

Actually quite well thank you, and this is not menat to be some sort of pissing match! And this is only for Allamuchy...I will keep it short...what is being done in Allamuchy is being done with approval of the Park. There may be trails out there that suit one group more that another, but that is the way it works, just look at 4-Bump or Hunters Rock as some call it. We can also go to sections of Stephens to point this out (which has not seen any active TM, but will in the upcoming year). I think if you look at whats been done in most of the Parks over the past several years there is a benifit to everyone. Kinda funny you mention horse folks, Allamuchy just received a formal resp to a questionaire, and the equestrian commented on how nice the trails were and how well marked they were. So everyone knows, 99% of the trail in Allamuchy are maintaind by bikers!

Brett, this will be my last post on this subject since it is going the way of posts on that other board (Thanks to everyones friend IMBA&*#!), if my PM did not explain clearly enough give me a call or stop in during one of the upcoing TMs in 2007.

Bob

Bob W.

Last edited:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
That said, these natural areas were set aside for all. When you cut trail its for you not hikers.

Two weeks ago I met up with three different groups of hikers on the newer trails in Mahlon. The week before that I met up with a couple on horseback. They were all using the newer trails in there and mentioned how they loved them. They all stated they enjoyed the trails because it provided them new areas to explore & enjoy. So, I don't know how accurate your statement is. Besides, even if mountain bikers design a trail, nothing is stopping hikers from using those trails for their enjoyment as well.

Less hikers use the deep interior of Allamuchy, but that doesn't change the fact that sometimes those old logging roads from the late 1800's were not built enviromentally sound and they are definitely showing massive errosion. Sometimes they need to be closed down & the trails re-routed because they just become washed out dirt roads filled with baby-heads. Check out the "Ditch" area of Allamuchy. Those newer re-routes, which were approved by the park super, make the hike up the mountain much more enjoyable then walking uphill on an old dirt road with tons of loose rock.

Oh, and as for the "Stupid Mountain Bikers" comment -- if you are friendly, helpful (when needed), yield the trail to horses & thank hikers who yield to you, it goes a long way for good public relations. Also, another way to get noticed in a positive light is to thank the rangers when you see them for the excellent job they do & how great their park is. I have helped many lost hikers find their way out of Allamuchy and I am sure that helps with shedding the "Stupid Mountain Bikers" image with those folks anyway.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
Guys: Once again, let's take this issue out of the public forum. These types of discussions in this arena can be VERY detrimental to access issues in general. Evidentally, it has happened before.

By this point, you all know how to contact each other to continue this discussion outside of the thread. Please *PM* me with any concerns.

Shaggz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom