Mahlon+, Sunday 4/1, 9am

anrothar

entirely thrilled
where: Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Saffins pond lot.
when: tomorrow, sunday, april first, 9am.
what: 20ish miles. possibly up to 30. some in mahlon, alot more in the wma next to it.

PLAN TO GET A LITTLE WET! there are a few mandatory water crossings on this route that will likely be higher than normal. there will be fire roads and absurdly technical trails and a few big climbs. we will likely be out 3-4 hours, and will keep a pace slightly easier than mr webers 'spirited' pace. any takers? i'm flexible on the time, and bail out points will be almost non-existant unless you want to wait for us to be done and come pick you up. mahlon is entirely on a plateau. we will be descending to the bottom of the berkshire valley and climbing back out of it twice. edit: actually more like three times, technically.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'd love to chase you around for three or four hours...but to get that kinda riding time in we'd have to start at six or seven. maybe another day though sean...i'll have to put my field trip request in early for that one.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm trying to entice some of our south/central jersey riders up for this one, hence the start time. pick a weekend jake, if i know far enough in advance, i can do it pretty much any weekend.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
where: Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Saffins pond lot.
when: tomorrow, sunday, april first, 9am.
what: 20ish miles. possibly up to 30. some in mahlon, alot more in the wma next to it.

PLAN TO GET A LITTLE WET! there are a few mandatory water crossings on this route that will likely be higher than normal. there will be fire roads and absurdly technical trails and a few big climbs. we will likely be out 3-4 hours, and will keep a pace slightly easier than mr webers 'spirited' pace. any takers? i'm flexible on the time, and bail out points will be almost non-existant unless you want to wait for us to be done and come pick you up. mahlon is entirely on a plateau. we will be descending to the bottom of the berkshire valley and climbing back out of it twice. edit: actually more like three times, technically.

Hey Sean, where do you descend to Berkshire Valley? The old ski area or by the water fall? Just curious.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After my brutally awful performance at Round Valley today where Maurice did his best to make me feel like I didn't suck, the last thing I want to do is destroy another ride with my pedestrian hill climbing ability.

D

DANSPANK

Ok, I'm back from Switzerland - what a fun place. But few attractive femmes...

Anyway, I won't commit to this ride as I have a party tonight and will probably be the worse for wear tomorrow. I think I'll hit LM around midday-ish and before the rains...

Either that or I'll take out my new....ROAD BIKE!! Yep, bit the bullet and got me a lil' som' som! I've just been tinkering this afternoon setting it up so will head out onto that grim streets of Secaucus to try it out in a few mins...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
i'm trying to entice some of our south/central jersey riders up for this one, hence the start time. pick a weekend jake, if i know far enough in advance, i can do it pretty much any weekend.
Raced on the road this morning, which necessitated a 4:30AM wakeup and 5:30 departure.

Gonna stay close to home tomorrow. Maybe sleep a bit too.

Ya'll have a blast. I'll get up there one of these days.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
joe, we'll be climbing snowbowl, then descending at the powerlines, climbing across from russels camp, then descending to and climbing back up from taylor rd.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i will be riding there, most likely. respond here by 7:30 am tomorrow if you plan to show. if noone responds, i will just ride right into the trails, and wont wait around in the parking lot.

J-Dro

I reaaaaaly want another grand tour of Mahlon but time is too tight tomorrow for me. Promise you will lead this ride again later in the season Sean.

ArmyOfNone

OK im in...as long as i am back home around 2. But the earlier the better. Ill leave from work. I have to pass by my place so ill just hop out and grab my bike.

ArmyOfNone

Sweetheart

Sean do you think you could give me directions to meet ya? I have been looking for the ones i had from the last time but i can seem to find them. Ill be taking 287N.

Thanks!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
287n
rt 80w
exit 34b, rt15n
go THROUGH 4 traffic lights.
after the fourth light, about 1/3 mile up the road, an exit lane will form on your right. get in it. there are two exits in this lane, take the second one. you should see a little brown sign for mahlon there. this spits you onto weldon rd, heading towards mahlon.

last time you rode with me there, we parked at rock rill. this time will be in a different lot. so:

continue on weldon till you are past all of the houses. you will pass one more on your left after a bit of woods. up a short hill, through a downhill S turn, and a white gravel parking lot will be on your right, pond on your left. park in the lot, not the pond. i'll find you. you've got my number if you get lost.

ArmyOfNone

Thanks! Now my next task is to make this next 8 hours seem like half that. Should be fun!

Wait...Is ChrisG comming?

Top Bottom