Mahlon ride Sat 8/12

S

Stan LeCupp

Anyone interested in a Mahlon ride sat @ 9:30am? I going to ride about 12 to 15 miles, moderate pace, a few stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stan LeCupp

I want to ride Mahlon this weekend. Maybe next time.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
all of you suck. i have to head to beantown this weekend for a picnic.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp said:
Boston is a great city. Bring the bike some nice riding up there.

yeah, i know. i lived there for almost two years. it was fantastic! i was walking distance to fenway (or three T stops) and i saw like 16 sox games. i wish i was more into riding when i was there, but working for anheuser-busch i was a lot more into drinking. the only riding i really did was when i was training for my triathlons (sprints, not full...and i was in the clyde class even then!).

no riding is in the cards this weekend...it's a picnic with the wife's college friends so it'll be more like a drinking and eating festival.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh, i know. just imagine having half of your four years of "studying" paid for by Uncle Augie...aka Mr. Anheuser-Busch. that makes for many, many memorable/not rememberable nights. putting down that corporate card was one of the best things ever.

S

Stan LeCupp

While riding Mahlon today I stumbled on a wild cat crossing the trail.It's tail was long which rules out a bobcat.Not real big, about the size of a medium size dog.
From the pictures I've looked at it resembles a small mountain lion, but they aren't supposed to live around here right?looked like one anyway.Very cool sight to see!

Last edited by a moderator:

ytc100

Stan LeCupp said:
While riding Mahlon today I stumbled on a wild cat crossing the trail.It's tail was long which rules out a bobcat.Not real big, about the size of a medium size dog.
From the pictures I've looked at it resembles a small mountain lion, but they aren't supposed to live around here right?looked like one anyway.Very cool sight to see!

Yikes! Way more scary than bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_lion

J

joanqs

Alex-
My husband ran into a mountain lion a year ago in Waywayanda. It was hard to believe so we called the park authorities to inquire. The Park Ranger said that they receive about 10-15 sighting reports per year. The problem is that they are so evasive no one has been able to photograph one for proof.

Also- in June a women in Vernon (Glenwood section) reported a mother and two cubs in her back yard, the local paper ran a two page article to raise awareness. Not too worry though... your too big for them I, however, may be perfect size...

Wished I could have ridden today, but I have been in LBI windsurfing for the past week.

S

Stan LeCupp

Wow I was pretty lucking the see this guy then.I only could see it for a few seconds before he disappeared. I must admit I was a little nervous as I passed the brush it ran into.

Awesome weather and conditions for riding today too bad you couldn't ride.Still windsurfing sounds like a blast.

Shaggz

A strong 7
there is a cat that fits the description of a mountain lion that has been spotted in a devlopment in sparta off glenn road. the woods from that area eventually tie in to the wma and mahlon dickerson. i can't shake that story of the 2 mtn bikers in callie that were attacked by a mountain lion - -1 was killed, and the other was being dragged into the woods by her head, but was saved by her friend and another biker.

a small mountain lion will get bigger, makes me really tentative about riding md alone. btw, did you find the new stuff you were looking for?

S

Stan LeCupp

smarencik said:
there is a cat that fits the description of a mountain lion that has been spotted in a devlopment in sparta off glenn road. the woods from that area eventually tie in to the wma and mahlon dickerson. i can't shake that story of the 2 mtn bikers in callie that were attacked by a mountain lion - -1 was killed, and the other was being dragged into the woods by her head, but was saved by her friend and another biker.

a small mountain lion will get bigger, makes me really tentative about riding md alone. btw, did you find the new stuff you were looking for?

This was interesting.Mountain lions and the east coast.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_413492.html

http://www.americans-working-togeth...SE PRESS THE ARTICLE FOR A LARGER COPY

Steve- yeah i found some new singletrack on the saffin pond side of mahlon.

Shaggz

A strong 7
is it worth searching out? if so, could you pm a general location? what side of the park did you see that cat?

S

Stan LeCupp

smarencik said:
is it worth searching out? if so, could you pm a general location? what side of the park did you see that cat?

The trail is on the saffin pond side.From headley overlook area head down the steep doubletrack. keep right and follow trail over bridge. then climb for a while. Before you head down the rock section it's on the left.There's a few stones piled up next to trail.

I saw the cat after that singletrack ends.It was making it's way from the pond back into the woods.

Top Bottom