Mahlon Noon Today - Sunday

My one and only non-race ride in Mahlon was with Sean, Brett, and Ellen White, May 2007. Oh my God, this trail was fun. Hell, everything we rode that day was great. I think Sean really wanted to give me the grand tour.

I wish it wasn't an hour and a half drive from my house, I'd be there a lot.:mad:

I'm learning it all pretty quickly so you may have to come back and I'll give ya my version of the tour :D

Yea after cascade just continue across the next intersection and that's where you'll end up on the green diamond trail. I LOVE that section as it definitely makes me work but I can clear most of that when I'm on my game. I got most of it today except for the one section that sent me over the bars.

The main thing I noticed today is how much a fork sucks - literally. It was nice but after riding my rigid all winter there's so many times when I bury the fork and the rigid would go right through with some heavy feedback. Good thing I'll have my rigid 29'er rollin soon.

I think I saw you there just as you were leaving...I was on a green Intense.

I know that this has been discussed before but:

-Cascade follows the river and starts/finishes (which way are people taking this?) at an overlook where you can see the high school?
-Stone gate. Is this at the top (somewhere in the middle) of the yellow/black trail on the south side of Weldon road? There's another section that this sounds like as well on the other side of the road where (going the direction I usually take, which heads up the double track to start) there's a steep descent that's usually loose, then you go through a narrow rock passage and into a 20 or so foot rock garden?
-The wall is the section where there was the re-route with the switchbacks? Used to be really washed out (and fun!) DH bombing section.
-"Insanely techy rock section"...in roughly the same section of the park there's a trail that has maybe 3-4 significant rock gardens, one of which is probably 80 feet or so long and fairly challenging?
-There's also a section of the white trail, I believe it is, which starts at the intersection of the yellow trail which is pretty techy, including a ~2 foot drop.

Just curious if there's anything fun that I'm missing.

- I consider Cascade to start as soon as you're off the double track and on the single track at the top and end when you get to the gravely double track at the bottom (near where you peel off to hit green). The MD map seems to concur with this. Folks ride it both ways. I prefer CCW. Basically, CCW you have some nice descents, but some short steep climbs. CW you trade the short steep climbs for a few longer climbs. I'd say how you like your climbing will set your preference of direction.

- Stones gate is at the southern most end of the park and is blazed with yellow markers w/black diamonds. Here is thread with a google earth kmz file with the beginning and end of Stones Gate marked: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5659

- Yes, "The Wall" is where we did the re-route with the switchbacks.

- Yes, that sounds like what we're now calling "Anrothar Alley"...the insanely technical section.

- Shortly after the bottom of The Wall? If so that is Beaver Brook...another place we could call "Anrothar Alley".

If you know the places mentioned, you've probably done the "outer loop", so I won't go into that. The white trail off of the rail bed has some challenges...and off of that you can fine three rock just before you get to Highpoint. It has some nice tight/twisty stuff there...watch for a trail to the right, take it, then 'couple hundred yards later you'll see some single track to the right. Follow it and it will drop you down by Weldon Rd...head a little east on Weldon you'll see another trail on your left...that'll take you over to the yellow...it is a nice ride through there too.

And of course there is the WMA...some fast double track, a couple of loose rock climbs, topped off with some nice single track too (you'll like the stretch of single track, I promise).

Last edited:
- I consider Cascade to start as soon as you're off the double track and on the single track at the top and end when you get to the gravely double track at the bottom (near where you peel off to hit green). The MD map seems to concur with this. Folks ride it both ways. I prefer CCW. Basically, CCW you have some nice descents, but some short steep climbs. CW you trade the short steep climbs for a few longer climbs. I'd say how you like your climbing will set your preference of direction.

- Stones gate is at the southern most end of the park and is blazed with yellow markers w/black diamonds. Here is thread with a google earth kmz file with the beginning and end of Stones Gate marked: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5659

- Yes, "The Wall" is where we did the re-route with the switchbacks.

- Yes, that sounds like what we're now calling "Anrothar Alley"...the insanely technical section.

- Shortly after the bottom of The Wall? If so that is Beaver Brook...another place we could call "Anrothar Alley".

If you know the places mentioned, you've probably done the "outer loop", so I won't go into that. The white trail off of the rail bed has some challenges...and off of that you can fine three rock just before you get to Highpoint. It has some nice tight/twisty stuff there...watch for a trail to the right, take it, then 'couple hundred yards later you'll see some single track to the right. Follow it and it will drop you down by Weldon Rd...head a little east on Weldon you'll see another trail on your left...that'll take you over to the yellow...it is a nice ride through there too.

And of course there is the WMA...some fast double track, a couple of loose rock climbs, topped off with some nice single track too (you'll like the stretch of single track, I promise).

-I've been doing Cascade CW, from what I can figure...you finish on gravely doubletrack after a fair deal of climbing. Usually we then descend the doubletrack toward Weldon Rd then make a right and there's a reasonably steep doubletrack climb that brings you to a parking lot area.
-Definitely know where stone gate is. One of my favorite sections.
-Yup, that used to be a heck of a climb.
-I'll have to try "Anrothar Alley" the other way...with your line choice dialed it's not bad in the direction I've been taking it.
-Shortly after the wall, there's a stream crossing and then you could take a right soon after that would be the white trail (I think) which is a pretty challenging section (never cleared all of it going that way). I don't make the right and, instead, continue along the doubletrack and pick up the white further up and then descend to the outlet near the stream crossing.

I'll have to give your suggestions a shot...I'm sure there's quite a bit that I haven't hit yet.

- Yeah, when you finish Cascade CCW, you'll be at a gravel hill to your left, a stream to your right, and between you and the stream is a trail that goes north to Anrothar Alley. BTW, you can skip that gravel climb to the picnic area by going straight-ish/right-ish when you come off the single track. Follow to your first left... stick left, and you'll loop around the bottom of the last little climb up to the picnic area. That gravel climb you're doing is the worst stretch of trail in Mahlon.

- That section of white trail you speak of is indeed Beaver Brook.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I'm heading up Friday to ride with the dentist...not sure what time yet. 'Might be able to get out Thursday too...

- Yeah, when you finish Cascade CCW, you'll be at a gravel hill to your left, a stream to your right, and between you and the stream is a trail that goes north to Anrothar Alley. BTW, you can skip that gravel climb to the picnic area by going straight-ish/right-ish when you come off the single track. Follow to your first left... stick left, and you'll loop around the bottom of the last little climb up to the picnic area. That gravel climb you're doing is the worst stretch of trail in Mahlon.

- That section of white trail you speak of is indeed Beaver Brook.

Have fun!

-Yup, sounds right. I guess I'm usually coming from that Anrothar Alley section. That one short, steep, loose descent must be an interesting climb. And I agree with you...that gravel climb is awful, but I guess it's good training...or something.

-Beaver Brook. Good to know!

Thanks!

Could this be Anrothar Alley? It is right in that area. That long rock garden is killer.

n1324548807_156275_3455.jpg

That would be heading towards the bottom of cascade. I haven't really decided on my route at MD but that time i went past the bottom of cascade to the top, rode it down, and then went back up to the top and over to the other side of the park.

I actually ate it really hard right after that photo, nice endo, but made it on the next try. I don't know that area of the park well and i found that by accident. There are a lot of cool technical trails over there that i would like to link all together.

Beaver Brook is still my favorite MD section. And i think i prefer doing the whole park in the opposite direction than most ride because Beaver Brook is much more fun to come down. Stone Gate makes afor a nice steady ride.

God i'm itching to get my first ride in.

Last edited:
Looking to ride here for the first time ever...

Is there a group ride that an experienced but out of shape rider could attend in the coming weeks?

I havent been on my bike since September, and I am really looking forward to getting out.

I work in Wharton Monday-Friday, so getting there by 5:15 or so shouldnt be a problem.

thanks!

Chris

How out of shape are you? I've been working on my cardio a lot this winter but before that i wouldn't even ride with most people on this board because i just get sapped on hills. I haven't been on the bike since November and i'm excited to see what good my cardio training has done. I am very much hoping to get a MD ride in this weekend. We ride at a slower pace. Most likely my GF will be riding as well so we won't be tearing through.

Is there a group ride that an experienced but out of shape rider could attend in the coming weeks?

I havent been on my bike since September, and I am really looking forward to getting out.

I work in Wharton Monday-Friday, so getting there by 5:15 or so shouldnt be a problem.

thanks!

Chris

None planned...but maybe I should think about something for April. Keep tuned in to mtbnj.com...

How out of shape are you? I've been working on my cardio a lot this winter but before that i wouldn't even ride with most people on this board because i just get sapped on hills. I haven't been on the bike since November and i'm excited to see what good my cardio training has done. I am very much hoping to get a MD ride in this weekend. We ride at a slower pace. Most likely my GF will be riding as well so we won't be tearing through.

At MD it's the legs that get you...of course it doesn't help I ride a SS. I did a decent job on my cardio over the winter, but once I strapped on the SS and hit the park, well, burn baby burn!

I guess I am a clydesdale...I currently weigh around 255 and am 6'4".

I ride either a DH/AM SC Bullet or my lighter AM/XC Giant Reign.

I SUCK at climbing...especially in the early season, so if there is a slower group heading out I would prefer to be with them.

Looking forward to the pain...

Chris

Back
Top Bottom