Mahlon Dickerson Today

Para5-0

Hello,
I am planning on a ride around 3:00 at M.D (6-25-08). if anyone is interested. My buddy and I went there for the first time yesterday. A total disaster as we ended up on a foot only highland trail, we couldnt get off of. We did end up doing a yellow loop that was fairly fun. Especially down by the start of the yellow with black square trail, it was a fun downhill.
We stayed right on the yellow trail but would like to try the yellow with black swuares. Any Good? I would love to get some local insight if anyone wants to join us. I am not sure where The Wall or Devils Staircase is but we aill try to find them today. We will be in a red truck and plan on parking at the 1st lot on the left down Weldon. There are three lots prior on the right.
We want to try cascade and the trails up around the High School.
We usually ride Allamuchy North and Deer Park, so this is a nice change of pace.

Rich

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Geeze, just reading now, but I am headed out with some friends at the saffins pond gravel lot around 4:15. Not sure if that will help you or not.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
We usually do a 5:00 PM ride every Wednesday and we'll be there tonight. We usually park at the Safin Pond lot as well. We'll have a smaller than usual group tonight but we'll be there. My regular bike is in the shop but I'll be in a red Leader hard tail tonight.

Para5-0

Just Missed

I saw a group in the lot at the pond today around 5:00, but didnt know who was who. We rode Cascade, Pine Swamp, Boulder Trail today. It was pretty good. Some nice climbs for sure. Definately noticed some TM going on throughout, nice to see.

Thinking about a yellow loop tomorrow around 3 or so.

Para5-0

minor work

I just saw minor rock bridges and a few cut pathes around tough passes. All very minor maintenance but you can tell people care. Nothing major, no reroutes. Where exactly is the wall? And if I can bother you where is Devils Staircase? I might have hit them but did not know their name.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I just saw minor rock bridges and a few cut pathes around tough passes. All very minor maintenance but you can tell people care. Nothing major, no reroutes. Where exactly is the wall? And if I can bother you where is Devils Staircase? I might have hit them but did not know their name.

If you take the entire yellow loop tomorrow, you'll hit them both.

If you start on the yellow heading east (this would be running the yellow clock-wise) you'll do some climbing up past the tent camping area. After some climbing, the yellow will bear hard right (if you go straight you'll head towards Headly overlook) where the gravel ends. A few moments later you will start going down a gnarly downhill; this is The Wall. If you look out in the bushes you'll see some little orange flags that mark the reroute. You might want to stop, walk down a bit, and pick a line if you've never gone down it before.

After The Wall you'll have some techie stuff, followed by another climb. It'll level out for a little bit, you'll pass the upper trail head to Stone Gate, and shortly after you'll be going down the Devil's staircase. You'll know it when you get to it. Up top it starts with loose baseball size rocks all over the place, then things get, uh, bumpier from there. When you get to the lower trail head to Stone Gate, you've only got maybe another hundred yards or so before you've cleared the Devil's Staircase. Be wary of that last little bit, though...it has bitten me, Sparta Brad, Shaggz and others...

PS: I read your first post and you have been down the Devil's Staircase. Next time take Stone Gate (yellow 'n black)...much more fun, IMO, than the Devil's Staircase...hurts less too!

Last edited:

Para5-0

Outstanding.

Thank You very much.
I did noticed the yellow trail with the black squares but had no idea where it went. I will definately give it a go. I guess I did the staircase as it was a long downhill with rock bombs everywhere. Seemed like an old washed out river bed.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I had such a good time riding at Mahlon today, and the trails are in great shape.

Great job Shagzz and crew on the wall re-route. I saw the little ramp with steps along side. Very nice work. It is such an improvement as well. I can't wait til it is open and running. Thanks !!!

SpartaBard

What Tim said:D, he beat me to it. Both places are on the Yellow trail.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I had such a good time riding at Mahlon today, and the trails are in great shape.

Great job Shagzz and crew on the wall re-route. I saw the little ramp with steps along side. Very nice work. It is such an improvement as well. I can't wait til it is open and running. Thanks !!!
Thanks, Ellen. Hopefully we will be able to officially open up the upper and middle passes this Saturday. I'm looking forward to (finally) sampling your handiwork on the 6th.

Para5-0

Yellow

I am fairly excited about tomorrow. I am taking all advice and riding the yellow trail all the way around, and definately hitting the yellow with black squares (Stone Gate). I will look for the orange markers at the wall as well. Thanks for the advice. Anyone who wishes to join I will park at the pond around 3:00. Red Truck, Blue Trek. Three days in a row at M.D., and still motivated, must be a good spot. We have beaten up Deer Park and Allamuchy lately, this is a nice change. It feels good to leave some skin and blood in different parks for a change of pace. By the looks of Devils Staircase yesterday, it will just be a matter of time. It is like playing asteroids and blasting the rocks out of your way as you go (large and small), then that little space ship sneaks up on you and you're ass over kilter.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
...By the looks of Devils Staircase yesterday, it will just be a matter of time. It is like playing asteroids and blasting the rocks out of your way as you go (large and small), then that little space ship sneaks up on you and you're ass over kilter.

Haha! I like that analogy. My problem is that, of late, that little space ship has had a vendetta against me. Rode Mahlon from last fall through May...only went down once (or twice?)...I've now gone down 6 out of the last 8 times out--usually pounding my lower right leg in the process.

Damn space ship.

Para5-0

Ouch!

What is worse than that front tire hitting that impassable rock and stopping so that you immediately go into the superman impersonation, only problem is you can get those dam clips off in time. So you fly on, with a nice mountain bike attached to you at the feet. Now it is up to the gods. If you land free of rocks you get up to try again. If not Ouch! or even worse your hands stay on the handlebars for that catapult into the ground with your head feeling. This stuff is great. Leaving now for 1100 start, cant wait. Mid life crisis.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
What is worse than that front tire hitting that impassable rock and stopping so that you immediately go into the superman impersonation, only problem is you can get those dam clips off in time. So you fly on, with a nice mountain bike attached to you at the feet. Now it is up to the gods. If you land free of rocks you get up to try again. If not Ouch! or even worse your hands stay on the handlebars for that catapult into the ground with your head feeling. This stuff is great. Leaving now for 1100 start, cant wait. Mid life crisis.

'Never had issue with unclipping...always hit hard enough for them to unclip for me :eek:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I saw a group in the lot at the pond today around 5:00, but didnt know who was who. We rode Cascade, Pine Swamp, Boulder Trail today. It was pretty good. Some nice climbs for sure. Definately noticed some TM going on throughout, nice to see.

Thinking about a yellow loop tomorrow around 3 or so.
I was there yesterday around that time with 5 or 6 other guys I regularly ride with and we're usually there every wednesday around the same time. Next time you see us feel free to say hi and tag along.

Top Bottom