Mahlon Dickerson: SUnday 6/22

Shaggz

A strong 7
You are correct, Norm. The Devil's Staircase is the washed out road you would take if you did not make the left onto Stone Gate, the base of which you hit when you come out of Stone Gate.

SpartaBard

Nice ride today. Started with Brad, the "Other" Norm and Ira, who we met in the Lot, and we hooked up wit Dan M. at the top of the Wall. Today was one of those days that reminds me why I like mountainbiking, and I realize how fortunate we are to have access to such great parks. Thanks for coming out, guys!

EDIT: We saw a bear near "Three Stones", which added to the stoke factor. If you get the opportunity to ride with JORBA Norm, make sure he tells you about his recent bear encounter.

Don't forget my endo on Devil's Staircase... that was pretty exciting.

SpartaBard

Also, I pulled two deer ticks off of me yesterday. You guys may want to do a quick check. It's amazing that I found two on me as I rarely ever see them since they are so small.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Note to Walter, Brad went OTB at the same spot I did my pogo stick act the last time we rode together :rofl:

I went OTB two rides in a row down that...once taking a left line, once taking a right line. Both times I wasn't really sure what I hit that pitched me. I guess the devil made me do it...

SpartaBard

I took a right line and I surely know what I hit, it was a rock :D. It was almost the last rock I could possibly hit too before it flattens out.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I took a right line and I surely know what I hit, it was a rock :D. It was almost the last rock I could possibly hit too before it flattens out.

That had to be the one I hit :D

Honestly, I couldn't figure it out as there were no rocks big enough to pitch me (or so I thought). The only theory I came up with is I must of pinched my front wheel between two at a bit of an angle.

Hope you came out better than I did:
attachment.php

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I went "right" there, too. That little stretch is deceiving.

It is...I must've stared at the line I took for 5-10 minutes trying to figure out what the hell happened...'still have no idea.

At least taking a left most line I have the theory that I rolled over a larger rock that was rather "pointed"...'causing my front tire to loose grip, slide down the side, and high-side me. Though, this is just a theory as there were no tire tracks confirming my exact line.

The last time I went through there and took 'er right up the middle (which looks pretty scary as you approach). I didn't crash; almost did though...if my CG was 1/2 inch farther forward I'd been three for the last three.

Yeah, that tiny little stretch from the lower Stone Gate trail head to where things get rolling, smooth, and fast has my number.

At least when I drilled myself into the ground coming down the wall I could look at it and say, yeah you dumb ass... Once you commit to a line coming down that, you're pretty much committed to it. 'Problem is that if you don't think the entire line out ahead of time, you're so busy keeping the bike up that it is easy to get yourself in a pickle. I guess I get what I deserve :( Go-go reroute!!!

Spylab

I only started riding at Mahlon last week; can't believe it took this long to explore a park that's less than 15 minutes from my house!

You guys ought to give a little Map Legend tutorial of some of these crazy names. Stone Gate I am aware of. But, like, Cascade, The Wall? I was hammering down some pretty gnarly stuff today, but not sure what is what.

Just give me a general idea, I am sure I'll figure it out eventually.

And just to give you an idea of my ride today, I started at the Picnic Area, down the yellow to stone gate, around the bottom end of the swamp, then back up to right before the pond where I hooked right onto aqua until it met with yellow, then back to the car...

SpartaBard

I only started riding at Mahlon last week; can't believe it took this long to explore a park that's less than 15 minutes from my house!

You guys ought to give a little Map Legend tutorial of some of these crazy names. Stone Gate I am aware of. But, like, Cascade, The Wall? I was hammering down some pretty gnarly stuff today, but not sure what is what.

Just give me a general idea, I am sure I'll figure it out eventually.

And just to give you an idea of my ride today, I started at the Picnic Area, down the yellow to stone gate, around the bottom end of the swamp, then back up to right before the pond where I hooked right onto aqua until it met with yellow, then back to the car...

The first gnarly downhill by the Overlook is called The Wall. At the end of stone gate you hit the lower 1/4 of Devils Staircase before the swampy area. Stone Gate bypasses most of the staircase. You missed Cascade which is over by the picnic area overlooking Jefferson HS and going up parallel to Sparta Mtn Rd.

I posted gps data in the MD subforum a while ago. You can upload that into Google Earth, the trail names should be attached to the tracks.

Top Bottom