Mahlon conditions

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
There is something unsettling about riding in bear tracks, specially when your floundering in the snow on a bike.

Anyway, its doable. Some places you ride over the crust, others you break though. At times your flying as fast as you dare, then others you want to do the "Huffy toss". I was sportin Nokian Extremes with low pressure, but studs are probably not necessary.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Not then, but now yes

There is something unsettling about riding in bear tracks, specially when your floundering in the snow on a bike.

Anyway, its doable. Some places you ride over the crust, others you break though. At times your flying as fast as you dare, then others you want to do the "Huffy toss". I was sportin Nokian Extremes with low pressure, but studs are probably not necessary.

Yeah, we came across a few bear tracks at Allamuchy. (and elsewhere in the park some off-trail hunters'/hikers' bootprints). No studs needed last weekend, but methinks the Nokians will get a workout this weekend.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
for all the quad/dirtbike/snowmobile tracks i rode through, the worst snow suface i've been through so far has been on singletrack where a hiker walked through then it froze... funny in a way. it wouldn't even be fun to walk on. luckily with the crusted over, hardpacked snow we have right now, it doesn't matter, as you can simply ride next to them.

Top Bottom