Mad bee in the helmet

Ronnie B

After 20+ years of hitting NJ trails, the craziest thing happened that I would never imagined - at Huber Woods a bee snucked into one of the air vents of my helmet and it got PISSED, it took me a second to realize what the fuck was going on and when I did I immediately jammed the brakes and ripped my helmet off and threw it to the ground.

Has anyone ever have this happened? My helmet is yellow, is it possible the bee thought it was a hive and when it realized it wasn't, it freaked out?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i've had it happen twice - one road, and last week on my mtb.

Funny part about the road one, he flew in, i heard him, and he didn't sting me until i took the helmet off to let him out.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Happened to me when i was flying down Dutchtown-Zion road A few years ago. Absolutely freaked the hell out of me.

jklett

I had one last week too. Didn't get stung but freaked me out. Must bee more common than we think. It was the first time it's ever happened to me though.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to get bugs in the vents pretty regularly, but never a bee. Since I got my current helmet(wavecell) it hasn't happened, since it would need to be a pretty small bug...

JDurk

Been stung a few times but only once on the head in the helmet while riding the road.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was at Huber last summer flying downhill on Many Log Run when a Bald Face Hornet hit the front of my helmet and then stung my forehead. It hurt like hell for 5 minutes, then the pain went away and no swelling.

About 10 years ago I was riding the road and got stung in the upper lip by a yellow jacket. It didn't hurt much and I kept riding. About 30 minutes later I found it a bit difficult to drink from my water bottle, my lip had swollen and felt numb, like getting novacaine at the dentist.

Cassinonorth

Happened to me on a group ride last July. Sucked right into vent going 25mph on a pace line so I couldn't stop for another 2 miles until the next stop sign. Hurt like a bitch when I irritated the bee enough to stink me.

Karate Monkey

I was at Huber last summer flying downhill on Many Log Run when a Bald Face Hornet hit the front of my helmet and then stung my forehead. It hurt like hell for 5 minutes, then the pain went away and no swelling.

Almost exactly what happened to me last year, down to the same place. Felt a *WHACK* on the side of my face, then a sting.

Kaleidopete

Hot glued mesh screen inside my helmet
helmet mesh08.jpg

JonF

Lots of times riding moto back in the day, but never a bee--vents too small for that. Usually its a small flying bug or beetle that slides inbetween your cheek pads and finds its way straight to your ear. You stomp the brakes, dump the bike and rip off your helmet while jumping around like an idiot frantically trying to undo your d-rings with gloves on. The expression on your face kinda like that scene in the beginning of Star Trek: the Wrath of Khan where they slide those worms into Chekovs' ear. *cringe*

Top Bottom