Lyme disease

SPOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!! :getsome:

TickSpoo.JPG

Last edited:
Yup I got it. For the past 3 weeks or so, I've been noticing my endurance steadily decline. It was so frustrating since this is the time of year when your trying to build up the stamina after the long winter. Slowly, the other symptoms started to show... mild fever, achy joints, lack of energy. No rash this time. The doctor confirmed yesterday that it is Lyme's and I started the antibiotic treatment. Feeling better already but I'm guessing a couple of weeks before I'm back to normal.

Never found a damn tick either. I guess these are the risks we take by playing in the woods.

No Comment. Feel better.:D

Well you always have the beer thing to vouch for god. I just spent $8 on a bottle of beer. It's my first alcohol purchase of the year so I said screw it I'm buying something good. Jeff if you lived closer than 40 minutes away (like 39 minutes closer) I'd split it with you. As it is, you'll have to come on up here to have some of it. We also have burgers.

Dr. Weil says its o.k.:

A widespread myth holds that you shouldn't drink alcohol while taking antibiotics, but in fact, drinking doesn't lessen the effects of the drugs. However, alcohol can lower your general energy and delay your recovery so it is best to minimize drinking until you've finished the prescribed course of antibiotic treatment. (Beyond that, chronic liver damage from excessive alcohol consumption can affect the metabolism and toxicity of antibiotics.)

Yup I got it. For the past 3 weeks or so, I've been noticing my endurance steadily decline. It was so frustrating since this is the time of year when your trying to build up the stamina after the long winter. Slowly, the other symptoms started to show... mild fever, achy joints, lack of energy. No rash this time. The doctor confirmed yesterday that it is Lyme's and I started the antibiotic treatment. Feeling better already but I'm guessing a couple of weeks before I'm back to normal.

Never found a damn tick either. I guess these are the risks we take by playing in the woods.

Youch.. Sorry bro.

The real bummer is that you could have gotten this tick in your front yard while going to get your mail. These nasty things are everywhere.

I am certain that you have done your homework but read all you can about this nasty disease.

Although antibiotics seen to do the trick you need to be careful since the meds can sometimes just dull the symptoms and leave the cause festering. A common issue comes when the user begins to feel better and stops taking the meds. The cause can then still be left to f'k you up further.

j

Ok let's see...

...I've had about 8 bullseye rashes,a ring necrosis from a spider bite,and at last check w/ a doctor I probably have MS, Graves syndome-or-other and lupus.Also, frontal brain damage and the "spine of a cadaver".Remember at the start they tried to sell Lyme as incurable, but then they can only sell 1 course of antib,s.Buck up yall and when you find the big ones on ya just eat the bastards and you'll be fine..................oh yeah, feel better Dawg!!

Lyme Rix, Anyone?

A few years back there was a vaccine for Lyme Disease that was administered in three doses and was supposed to keep you immune. I actually got the vaccine in '99...it was pulled of the market shortly thereafter due to "complications".

Wonder if it's still effective. Anyone else get the shots?

get well bro...but i'm with bruce. i HATE ticks. hate them, hate them, hate them. since i'm not raising any turkeys or other tick eating critters they can all DIE!!!

one thing that no one has mentioned in this entire thread that takes literally 10 seconds is: WEAR BUG SPRAY. while it probably won't keep the critters off of you (but it may...i've seen them run from my sprayed shoes) they probably won't bite ya. i carry it in my jeep and spray myself down before every ride. just be careful around your gloves and face/head. the stuff BURNS if it gets in yer eyes and you'll look like this :eek:. :D

A few years back there was a vaccine for Lyme Disease that was administered in three doses and was supposed to keep you immune. I actually got the vaccine in '99...it was pulled of the market shortly thereafter due to "complications".

Hey Mike... it may've be effective but I believe the side effects were worse then the cure (arthrititis if memory serves correct). So it got yanked... I remember a buddy of mine was on shot 2 of 3 and heard this on the news and did not show up for #3 :drooling:

bruce: if you are going to follow your logic to its full extent: ticks are proof that God feels the same way about "useless" poeple that you do. ;) think about it.... (disclaimer, I am just digging at Bruce, I speak not of what I truly believe here! ;) )

Jeff, feel better brother... I'll reserve a spot for you on our Thu night Ringwood rides. :)

Tick bite symptoms

Those of you who are sure you were bitten, can you comment further on the symptoms of the bite?

I noticed a very itchy insect bite on my upper thigh yesterday morning following the shower. I applied topical Benadryl, which usually is effective on me for mosquito bites and poison ivy. Over the course of the day, the bite continued to itch like hell and began to redden.

36 hours later, it still itches pretty badly, has a raised red center and a reddish ring about 1.5 inches in diameter. The general area around the bite is slightly swollen as well. No pain of any sort.

The last time I was in the woods prior to yesterday morning was Saturday AM at Allaire.

I'm thinking I have a spider bite here, but don't really know for sure. I'm off to the doctor in the AM, one way or the other.

Thanks!

Hey Chris, I actually removed an embedded tick from behind my knee on the back of my leg, I dont remember any itching, but it was a bit swollen and sore for a few days, until the antibiotics kicked in. Where the tick was was red, but I never got the "bullseye" rash, and thankfully I am cleared after two negative blood tests.

Looks like your doing the best thing by heading to the doctor tomorrow, I'm sure he/she will give you a better idea of whats going on. Good luck.

I actually think the tick rash will be your normal skin color in the middle, with the red ring going outward, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
The symptoms of a tick bite vary so much its hard to generalize. The first time I had Lyme disease 6 years ago, I got an itchy bite mark like you describe but the rash was more of a red/purple blotch, not a neat circular pattern. When I got Lyme again earlier this year, I didn't get any rash or itchy spot at all.

It may be too early for the Lyme titer blood test to show elevated levels if you were just bit recently, so even if the doctor gives you a negative result, keep an eye out for the symptoms in the next few weeks. Hopefully it was just a spider or something.

arachnophobia

It's a spider bite.

Doc said that the intense sustained itching and the appearance of my little friend are not consistent with tick bites. Worth the copay to get the reassurance.

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Sorry I didn't see this til now. If it has a lump in the middle and feels like bad poison ivy then it's a spider.If it's a brown recluse it will be quite apparent to you within 4 hrs or so...............

If it has a lump in the middle and feels like bad poison ivy then it's a spider.
Right on the money, Brett. The itching and swelling have largely dissipated, but now it's turning some interesting colors. Fun stuff.

It's a spider bite.

Doc said that the intense sustained itching and the appearance of my little friend are not consistent with tick bites. Worth the copay to get the reassurance.

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Dude can you walk up walls yet! Hope you fell better tiger.

I got the course of shots -- the only complication I had was brain damage. :drooling:

Back
Top Bottom