Lucky's Revenge Endurance Race Aug 17, 2019

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The ice pop at the end was kind of soft and melted. The popsicle stick inside slid right out and the ice pop felt onto the dirt.

You guys got the minor details like course markings, clean bathrooms, parking info, etc correct, but you skipped out on the major details of ice cold deserts.

Basically you ruined my day and I will never do another event you promote.

Until Lucky Cross.

RNG1

The ice pop at the end was kind of soft and melted. The popsicle stick inside slid right out and the ice pop felt onto the dirt.

You guys got the minor details like course markings, clean bathrooms, parking info, etc correct, but you skipped out on the major details of ice cold deserts.

Until Lucky Cross.

RNG1

That may have been fortunate for you, I had the stick slide out, then adapted to the push pop technique as it was still in the wrapper, ate the whole thing in like 3 bites, but then got the brain freeze in my chest thing happen, and felt like “great I survived this thing and my heart is going to be stopped by an ice pop”

terrabike01

A little bright spot that not many knew of... I got a report at the finish of a rider down that wasn't doing well. He was given some food but is still laying in the woods. I was absolutely shattered from riding and preparing for this event. I didn't even know if I could pedal at that moment, but I jumped on my bike and set out to find the downed rider. I arrive on scene after backtracking a mile or two on the course to find the downed rider. I see he's ok and just cramping MISERABLY. He couldn't even move and his hands didn't work. I stayed with him and gave him a bottle of cold water. We talked about my personal stories of cramping and bad luck and I assured him that he was ok he just needed to get some fluids and nutrition and he could make it to the finish line. I made sure the other racers passed safely and tried to get him moving little by little. After a while I finally got him up to start walking with his bike. His cramps started to stop firing and he felt well enough to hop on the bike. I asked the dreaded question - do you want the quickest way out or do you want to finish? He said I want to finish. I told him that's what I want to hear!!! I stayed with him, chatted with him, and I rode with him the remainder of the course to make sure he finished and was ok. He came down from finishing the event and said thank you and gave me a big hug. That was the bright spot of my day.

Something like this is not easy by any means, but you CAN do this. Maybe you suffered, maybe you fell down, maybe you cramped a lot, but you all took something away from this. Maybe you finished, maybe you didn't but you had an experience and probably a lot of stories to tell. Who wants a boring event. This was not that event.
Great job! And mucho Kudos to you personally @xc62701 for all your hard work preparing, setting this up in the last few weeks and letting me race! Not an easy undertaking and the course was point on. A leg beater for sure that didn't disappoint :) Looking forward to next year and I think this pic sums it all up what this is all about. Riding bikes, fun, friends, cool metals, HB swag,
image_from_ios.jpg
and a pizza and a bowl of candy for 1st place!

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Until Lucky Cross.

hmmmm i didnt get a popsicle at all, now my memory of the day is forever ruined in. . . . (maybe i finished too late :( )

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That may have been fortunate for you, I had the stick slide out, then adapted to the push pop technique as it was still in the wrapper, ate the whole thing in like 3 bites, but then got the brain freeze in my chest thing happen, and felt like “great I survived this thing and my heart is going to be stopped by an ice pop”
I just sucked the ice pop out of the wrapper. It was delicious and cold. Only those who adapt will survive...

pkovo

A little bright spot that not many knew of... I got a report at the finish of a rider down that wasn't doing well. He was given some food but is still laying in the woods. I was absolutely shattered from riding and preparing for this event. I didn't even know if I could pedal at that moment, but I jumped on my bike and set out to find the downed rider. I arrive on scene after backtracking a mile or two on the course to find the downed rider. I see he's ok and just cramping MISERABLY. He couldn't even move and his hands didn't work. I stayed with him and gave him a bottle of cold water. We talked about my personal stories of cramping and bad luck and I assured him that he was ok he just needed to get some fluids and nutrition and he could make it to the finish line. I made sure the other racers passed safely and tried to get him moving little by little. After a while I finally got him up to start walking with his bike. His cramps started to stop firing and he felt well enough to hop on the bike. I asked the dreaded question - do you want the quickest way out or do you want to finish? He said I want to finish. I told him that's what I want to hear!!! I stayed with him, chatted with him, and I rode with him the remainder of the course to make sure he finished and was ok. He came down from finishing the event and said thank you and gave me a big hug. That was the bright spot of my day.

Something like this is not easy by any means, but you CAN do this. Maybe you suffered, maybe you fell down, maybe you cramped a lot, but you all took something away from this. Maybe you finished, maybe you didn't but you had an experience and probably a lot of stories to tell. Who wants a boring event. This was not that event.

Glad you posted this because I have been wondering how things unfolded for him.

As someone thats only raced a few times, I found this race to be a pretty humbling experience. But, everything was very well laid out and easy for an inexperienced racer to follow. I thought the trail markings were great.

Nice Work!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
TL;DR

This race was soul crushingly awesome. Thanks Ryan for bringing us an amazing new endurance event. I'll be back next year for more pain and suffering and smiles. Let's hope for dry rocks and less humidity next year though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, huge thanks to @xc62701 for getting this race off the ground. I can't imagine the logistics of pulling off something like this with the manpower available. Thanks @Dave Taylor, @terrabike01, @Sven Migot, @afurlong, @thegock, and everyone on Team Hb that isn't on here or whose screen name I don't know, and anyone else that was involved behind the scenes or that I forgot. Also thanks to @jimvreeland for going way above and beyond for me to get my fat bike functional so quickly after I destroyed my rear hub two days before he was leaving for Paris.

I don't like racing, but I like slowly riding my bike all day. As soon as Ryan announced this race, I was in. I did Wilderness 101 last month which was almost 13 hours for me, so I figured this would be a cakewalk. LOL. I get to the scout camp around 8am, register, and just hang around the parking lot. No point warming up for a race like this for me. I eat brownies and cookies (thanks @sarcaro), and I eat banana bread muffins (thanks @Mare45), and then I roll down to the start line.

The race starts and I just slow pedal up the road. We get in the woods and I immediately realize that the rocks are covered in ice. I had a slippery rock throw me off the trail, but I stayed upright and it was no big deal. Not long after that, I went down a little rock step down or something, and it almost sent me over the bars face first into a giant rock. I really lucked out and decided to walk a bunch of rocky stuff that I would normally ride from then on, and just aim to not get hurt. 25 milers start passing me, and at some point @Santa passed me and then immediately crashed in a slippery rock garden. Thanks for pointing out the slippery rock garden, Dominic! I walked it.

I made a mental note that Lumpy Bumpy was 10 miles into the course. I played it safe and walked a bunch of it. By the time I reached the aid station, @sarcaro was there, and I told her I was hurting and didn't think I would make the next time cutoffs. I was pretty sure I was only gonna do one lap at that point. It was only 15 miles and I was already hurting, and I knew I still had the purple climb up from Tranquility. I slammed some of DT's PB&J's while he filled my bottle, and then I got rolling, because what else are you gonna do at that point. By the time I got over to orange, I was fighting off some little twinges of cramps in my legs. This was a good indicator that I didn't drink nearly enough, as I don't ever cramp when riding. I hit purple pretty hard, hoping to make the time cut off for the first lap. I figured that if I made the time cut off, I would at least try and make it another 15 miles to the aid station. I got to the pit at like 4:07 or something, so I figured I had to keep going.

I didn't have anything setup for myself in the pit because I figured there was an aid station there, but I didn't see any sports drinks. I knew I would be fighting off cramps the whole second lap, so I filled my bottle with water and @taylor185 saved the day by hooking me up with a GU tab. I'm not sure if I would have made it to the aid station without this, as I needed the electrolytes to keep from cramping. I also slammed more PB&J, heckled @seanrunnette a little, and then took off. It had taken me 2:35ish to reach the aid station on lap 1, so I knew I couldn't go much slower on lap 2 to not get cutoff. The rocks were dry now, but my hands and upper body hurt from all the rocky trails, and I was definitely going slower.

I knew that lap 2 was at least a little different based on how we started the lap, and I was hopeful that it might be a little shorter, so I could make it to the aid station in time. I was super happy when I got to Lumpy Bumpy after only 6-7 miles and realized I might make it. I managed to ride most of Lumpy since it was dry, and then I cruised over toward Ice Cream. Everyone loves this descent, but it sucks on a hardtail, especially when your hands and arms hurt. I went super slow and maybe even stopped once. I made it to the aid station in like 6:45 or so, ate some PB&J, chugged a bottle of Skratch, and then Frank refilled it and I was on my way.

This is the best part of a race like this for me. I know that I'm slow and will have issues making the time cutoffs, but once you make that last time cutoff and know you are gonna finish, it feels great. I mean, I probably still would have finished anyway at that point, but it's more rewarding to finish in the allotted time. That last ten miles still hurt a lot, but I knew I was almost done and would actually finish on time, so I didn't really care. I even managed to ride the entire purple climb except for the one loose and crappy section near the top. I was in my granny gear the entire time, which I would never do normally, but it was all I could manage. I eventually make it back and come out to the road and see my car and am super happy to be done. Then I realize I have to ride up the road to scoring, and I make a mental note to punch Ryan in the face. But when I got back down to the parking lot, Ryan was smiling and was happy for me, so I decided not to punch him in the face. Then I ate pizza and he gave me a beverage and all was forgiven.

In the end, I finished in 8:40. I was hoping for 8, but figuring 9 or 10, so I'm pretty happy with that. I managed to not crash, and while I had the beginnings of cramps off and on the whole second lap, I never really cramped. This race was awesome even though it was soul crushing at times. This was one of the most painful and rewarding bicycle experiences I've ever had. Lucky used to bust my balls about my ridiculous bicycle and its giant tires, and I could hear him in my head laughing at me all day yesterday. You can definitely count me in for next year.

I'm super stoked for Cranks Around the Campfire next weekend, but I might only do rides at Stephens and Deer Park.

@sarcaro sent me this pic of me. I assume it's from the beginning of the race, because I look dry and not in pain.

2079242E-454E-40F6-8440-379F64CF17E9.jpeg

Edited to add more pics from @sarcaro. Me reaching the aid station already in pain, only 15 miles in.

FBE81BA9-2D5D-4E1A-8585-BCD0237C704B.jpeg

D571C210-22B8-4D43-916A-42C981FA80D0.jpeg

Last edited:

Santa

@JimN im always looking out trying to point out the dangers in the course. Oh wait I was really taking a nap. Anyways the course was a blast. Rocks were super slick. I get to ride in mooch quite often so I know the lines and am quite comfortable on the downhills. Was there any? Just kidding there were some fun ones but boy it mostly uphill it felt. I tried to just ride consistent. Pushed it up cardiac in like zone 5 and then Ed Emery pulverized me on Roly. I made it through but legs were hurting. I ended up cursing Ryan out from that point to the finish and ending up 3rd in the open 25 in 3 hours and 36 min. Something like that.

Top Bottom