Lucky's Revenge Endurance Race Aug 17, 2019

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great job with the course, all the trails where we'll marked, good location for the aid station, awesome to have Lumpy and Roly in a race.

I normally don't mtb for 25 miles, especially at Mooch, which is a demanding place to ride, but this event got me out of my comfort zone for sure, even at non race pace.

I would definetly do it again and encourage others to come out next year and try something you've never done before (There is a 15, 25 and 50 mile option). You will come away stronger and have an epic adventure under your belt.

Thanks Ryan and all the Hilltop crew!

RNG1

That was obviously no joke, but all hail the great course markings. The only thing I could possibly imagine worse than yesterday was getting lost and doing extra miles. ?
Next year Ryan maybe get out there with some paper towels for a few of those rocks, there’s one in my particular that now has my name on it...fortunately no injuries that will last longer than the memory of this event which I suspect will be a long while.
Thanks to Ryan and the crew, can’t imagine the effort that goes into something like this.
And given carnage seems to be building here:
9451A299-5081-4B1D-9940-005AD23E6AED.jpeg
6E964A5E-E681-46E8-8584-F39A1432ADB3.jpeg

choop

Great job @xc62701 and the entire Hilltop crew. I can’t imagine a tougher course that could have been put together. I will be kicking Ryan in the shins the next time I see him cause that uphill finish was just cruel.

The crew working the aid stations were phenomenal. They were full of encouragement as they did everything they could to get you back on the bike ASAP. Even when I just wanted to curl up in the fetal position. Thanks @Dave Taylor

Thanks for all the effort to bring a race like this to NJ.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Send me a link to the spreadsheet.
Will discuss next year

thegock

Send me a link to the spreadsheet.
Will discuss next year

@Patrick great result to finish the course @ Mooch. Tough day, tougher guy. There were more DNFs (me, me...) than finishers in the 25 mile. You need to turn in your OO5 shirt that you wore before the race.

Nelson's time for the 50 was insane, btw, especially considering that he put 50 minutes into Mancuso. Guys like @pooriggy and Ara were around four hours for 25 miles. His average for the 50 miles was like 3:15, just wow.

Would be great for @xc62701 to get more help next year. He, the @TheMountainsideMenace, @terrabike01 @Sven Migot @Dave Taylor Tyler, Tyler, Alan, BJ, Rob and a few others accomplished so much for this event.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Course was very well marked I never felt lost and it was def a full mooch style challenge (even the 15). Thanks for hosting, I know it’s not easy. And thanks for the pizza too! It hit the spot. And since we are posting carnage pix here are my ribs after impaling myself on my handlebars at mile 1.View attachment 102879
Is that a WHOOP?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
It was bittersweet for me! Man would I loved to have raced this course but the smile on people’s faces and working the aid station more than made up for it. I tried to encourage people and cheer them on. It wasn’t perfect but the small talk and good times were worth it!
I turned my buddy’s DNF(he wanted to quit at mile 40) into a podium finish. Hangin with @seanrunnette , @pooriggy , @UtahJoe , @RNG1 and so many more. Man we had a good time. “Man those rocks were slippery”, “can you wipe those rocks off before I ride through there” and “I ran out of water 5 miles ago” were the most common phrases I heard.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Thanks for your positive attitude it definitely helped me get my head back together and continue on. You were super helpful and positive to everybody that rolled in.
I tried to do what makes me happy at an aid station in the NUEs. It was nice doing this. I was cutting bananas, makin pbnjs, refilling coolers, camelbaks, bottles etc. i tried to have some good music bumpin too. Once again thanks to everyone for coming out!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I tried to do what makes me happy at an aid station in the NUEs. It was nice doing this. I was cutting bananas, makin pbnjs, refilling coolers, camelbaks, bottles etc. i tried to have some good music bumpin too. Once again thanks to everyone for coming out!

I forgot to mention @Dave Taylor !
Rolled into the stop, Dave and Gock are there - Dave rambles off the menu. I get none of it,
i mean like Peppermint Patty, with Charlie Brown (Gock) and the teacher!

1566176629981.png

i'm cramping, and i swear he said gatorade, he said skratch (edit) - well, i'm in.
he doesn't have cups! i swipe Gock's water bottle and down 30 or so ounces.
Dave is still selling tho! banana's, pbj. well, he knows what he is doing, so i grab both.

someone leaves in the wrong direction, he collects them, good thing, i won't make the same mistake!

Thanks Dave - you sent me out for the last 10 set up to succeed.

Since i suck, and was less than an hour of getting lapped by the 50s,
success is just that i finished - and picked off a bunch of the younger crowd in the last 10 miles.
the first 10 was ridden casually, with multiple stops, and wanting to hang with a few
of my favorite people. glad i pushed after they sent me on.

Last edited:

xc62701

@Patrick great result to finish the course @ Mooch. Tough day, tougher guy. There were more DNFs (me, me...) than finishers in the 25 mile. You need to turn in your OO5 shirt that you wore before the race.

Nelson's time for the 50 was insane, btw, especially considering that he put 50 minutes into Mancuso. Guys like @pooriggy and Ara were around four hours for 25 miles. His average for the 50 miles was like 3:15, just wow.

Would be great for @xc62701 to get more help next year. He, the @TheMountainsideMenace, @terrabike01 @Sven Migot @Dave Taylor Tyler, Tyler, Alan, BJ, Rob and a few others accomplished so much for this event.

That's an understatement. I'm really happy how we pulled this off considering the very little amount of help that we had. We are a small team to begin with and only half of the team contributed plus a few AMAZING volunteers. I'm hoping if we want to pull this off again next year that we will have some more help which will help to make the event run a little smoother.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I forgot to mention @Dave Taylor !
Rolled into the stop, Dave and Gock are there - Dave rambles off the menu. I get none of it,
i mean like charlie brown with the teacher!

View attachment 102942

i'm cramping, and i swear he said gatorade, he said scratch - well, i'm in.
he doesn't have cups! i swipe Gock's water bottle and down 30 or so ounces.
Dave is still selling tho! banana's, pbj. well, he knows what he is doing, so i grab both.

someone leaves in the wrong direction, he collects them, good thing, i won't make the same mistake!

Thanks Dave - you sent me out for the last 10 set up to succeed.

Since i suck, and was less than an hour of getting lapped by the 50s,
success is just that i finished - and picked off a bunch of the younger crowd in the last 10 miles.
the first 10 was ridden casually, with multiple stops, and wanting to hang with a few
of my favorite people. glad i pushed after they sent me on.
Great job man! It was Skratch, water, coke, cheetos, fritos, doritos, potato chips, pbjs, fig bars, trail mix and bananas! Oh and I really tried to sell those pretzel rings but no takers.

xc62701

A little bright spot that not many knew of... I got a report at the finish of a rider down that wasn't doing well. He was given some food but is still laying in the woods. I was absolutely shattered from riding and preparing for this event. I didn't even know if I could pedal at that moment, but I jumped on my bike and set out to find the downed rider. I arrive on scene after backtracking a mile or two on the course to find the downed rider. I see he's ok and just cramping MISERABLY. He couldn't even move and his hands didn't work. I stayed with him and gave him a bottle of cold water. We talked about my personal stories of cramping and bad luck and I assured him that he was ok he just needed to get some fluids and nutrition and he could make it to the finish line. I made sure the other racers passed safely and tried to get him moving little by little. After a while I finally got him up to start walking with his bike. His cramps started to stop firing and he felt well enough to hop on the bike. I asked the dreaded question - do you want the quickest way out or do you want to finish? He said I want to finish. I told him that's what I want to hear!!! I stayed with him, chatted with him, and I rode with him the remainder of the course to make sure he finished and was ok. He came down from finishing the event and said thank you and gave me a big hug. That was the bright spot of my day.

Something like this is not easy by any means, but you CAN do this. Maybe you suffered, maybe you fell down, maybe you cramped a lot, but you all took something away from this. Maybe you finished, maybe you didn't but you had an experience and probably a lot of stories to tell. Who wants a boring event. This was not that event.

Top Bottom