Low profile bottle setup?

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Greetings Friends and Patrons of Lab Austere-

Marshal here, and as the one-man-band behind Lab Austere, this email is to say thank you for your patronage, and share that I truly hope your LA gear is treating you well.

I truly value each and every sale, and super grateful for every note of satisfaction from the riders our there. As such I wanted to invite you to use and share our 25% off Friends and Family code. LAfriends - even if you only shared this code with one riding buddy, it would be amazing for me.

Sevenz

Just got back from our annual Spring trip to Brevard, NC and put the new LA pack through the ringer. It's the best pack I've ever ridden with...Love it. Enough space to pack what you need even for the most remote rides in the middle of Pisgah Forest. For me its a keeper for sure. Thanks for the recommendation @mattybfat !!

JDurk

I've yet to use mine as I've been riding bikes with 2 bottle cages. Next ride on the FS, I'll give it a shot.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've yet to use mine as I've been riding bikes with 2 bottle cages. Next ride on the FS, I'll give it a shot.
I'd recommend pushing that weight to the pack and off the bike if your pushing tech stuff.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So I starting wearing my lab austere for NICA last week. Have to say I don’t even notice it. I have first aid and tubes in it instead of bottles but the weight is similar.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I starting wearing my lab austere for NICA last week. Have to say I don’t even notice it. I have first aid and tubes in it instead of bottles but the weight is similar.

I feel similar, but one complaint I have is it sits so low that on long descents if I want to relax and sit down with my dropper all the way down, sometimes it rubs the rear tire when the shock compresses. I can pull it up on my waist and cinch it down harder, but then I feel it more on my belly which I don't like.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I feel similar, but one complaint I have is it sits so low that on long descents if I want to relax and sit down with my dropper all the way down, sometimes it rubs the rear tire when the shock compresses. I can pull it up on my waist and cinch it down harder, but then I feel it more on my belly which I don't like.
The first time I wore mine, I buzzed it on the rear tire two or three times, which was startling for sure.

Since then, I’ve cinched the pack a little higher, and it’s been fine.

I think this is one potential issue with hip packs, and this one in particular: The ideal zone between “too low” and “squeezing my belly” can be pretty narrow.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think this is one potential issue with hip packs, and this one in particular: The ideal zone between “too low” and “squeezing my belly” can be pretty narrow.
I have experienced this where the belt dig into my stomach. However I don’t wear it often enough to trouble shoot it. Also, I put a multi tool in the middle outer pocket, which is a flexible pocket. I noticed it bounces around a bit.

JDurk

So, I can finally say I used the Lab Austere hip pack and it didn't suck. At TSE currently. Yesterday during Stage 1, I had 1 bottle on the bike and 1 in the middle jersey pocket. With losing some girth around my belly, jersies have gotten longer. More than once when drooping the bottle buzzed the tire and put a hole in the jersey. I brought both the Lab Austere hip pack and the Camelbak, but forgot the bladder. Loaded it with 2 bottles, tools and phone. Plan to use it the rest of the week.
20220525_151741.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone want my Lab Austere pack. I don't need a 2 bottle pack. Just ordered a Bontrager single bottle pack.
By the way during the not so hot times I only carry a single bottle and throw a tube in the other. Or when you get to those start with a layer and remove that layer and stuff in the extra side. I had a single bottle and found it to be to minimal.

Top Bottom