Looking to get my first FS bike.

Keroberos

Right now i'm riding a 07 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and i'm looking to get into a nice FS bike. I"m stuck between two bikes right now.

08 Specialized FSRxc Expert
08 Cannondale Rize 4 or 3
08 Prophit maybe?

I Just started out maybe month or two ago and I'm really enjoying it. I want to be able to hit up some DH/FR/DJ up at diablo and maybe hit up some trails and technical stuff down at white clay in DE. I guess it would be classified as AM? Any help would be great. And hi btw :)

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Diablo and trail rides are very different things, and I would sooner rent a bike there if I was going just a few times a year rather than compromise my trial bike by making it heavier (and therefore slower) than it needs to be. It's also safer, since no 5-inch travel bike is going to shred DH at Diablo.

As for bikes those are all good choices so I'd concentrate on the ones your local shops sell. You're in Washington Twnshp, Bergen County or the one out west? If you're Bergen check out Campmor, Piermont and Westwood cycles. For me the shop is as important as the brand since nearly all mountain bikes at a certain price point are good bikes and you rely on your shop a lot more than anticipated. That said the Rize looks sweet and a light 5 inch-travel bike is a damn good pick for most everything -- though not DJ or FR. Trance X, Stumpy and Hi-Fi are other well-liked 5-inch bikes.

Keroberos

Diablo and trail rides are very different things, and I would sooner rent a bike there if I was going just a few times a year rather than compromise my trial bike by making it heavier (and therefore slower) than it needs to be. It's also safer, since no 5-inch travel bike is going to shred DH at Diablo.

As for bikes those are all good choices so I'd concentrate on the ones your local shops sell. You're in Washington Twnshp, Bergen County or the one out west? If you're Bergen check out Campmor, Piermont and Westwood cycles. For me the shop is as important as the brand since nearly all mountain bikes at a certain price point are good bikes and you rely on your shop a lot more than anticipated. That said the Rize looks sweet and a light 5 inch-travel bike is a damn good pick for most everything -- though not DJ or FR. Trance X, Stumpy and Hi-Fi are other well-liked 5-inch bikes.

yah thinking about how many times i'll actually get up to diablo (maybe once a month or so) i'll probably just rent up there. The rize is looking pretty good right now theres a LBS in PA that has one that i'm near ATM that i'm gona check out. (i'm in south jersey)

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
FS bikes

Right now i'm riding a 07 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and i'm looking to get into a nice FS bike. I"m stuck between two bikes right now.

08 Specialized FSRxc Expert
08 Cannondale Rize 4 or 3
08 Prophit maybe?

I Just started out maybe month or two ago and I'm really enjoying it. I want to be able to hit up some DH/FR/DJ up at diablo and maybe hit up some trails and technical stuff down at white clay in DE. I guess it would be classified as AM? Any help would be great. And hi btw :)

Come down to Beachwood and check out a huge selection of FS bikes. 4,5,6,7 or 8" bikes in stock and ready to rip. We have an incredible selection. Now is the time, 2009 bikes will be mucho $$$$ more than the 08's

D

DJ Insomnia

Once a month renting at Diablo would get very expensive. You'd probably be spending over 100 per day renting. I started with a 5 inch travel Canondale Jekyl that I was destroying at Diablo (Prophet replaced Jekyl's.) since then I got a Scott Nitrous with 7 inches of travel I use as my 1-bike.

I'm not worried about setting any speed records XC riding.

You might want to look into a 7 inch travel light duty freeride type bike. It's not going to win any DH races or XC races but can handle the abuse or ride on trails with a little shock tuning. Maybe a conondale Moto, their new 6 inch travel one could handle both? I didn't look that close at it.

Or even better if you have the money buy your XC/trail bike bike now rent at Diablo and then buy your DH specific bike when you get the money and if you like it.

Keroberos

Once a month renting at Diablo would get very expensive. You'd probably be spending over 100 per day renting. I started with a 5 inch travel Canondale Jekyl that I was destroying at Diablo (Prophet replaced Jekyl's.) since then I got a Scott Nitrous with 7 inches of travel I use as my 1-bike.

I'm not worried about setting any speed records XC riding.

You might want to look into a 7 inch travel light duty freeride type bike. It's not going to win any DH races or XC races but can handle the abuse or ride on trails with a little shock tuning. Maybe a conondale Moto, their new 6 inch travel one could handle both? I didn't look that close at it.

Or even better if you have the money buy your XC/trail bike bike now rent at Diablo and then buy your DH specific bike when you get the money and if you like it.

Well i live in Washington Twp, in South Jersey so i wont go to diablo maybe 3-4 times a season. (its two and a half hours away). Figure its ~$400 a year if i just rent. I think i'm gona lean towards a 09 Canonndale Rize 3 or 4 right now.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The Rize is a sweet ride and light for a bike with 130mm of travel. Check out the Trance X too....

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The Rize is a sweet ride and light for a bike with 130mm of travel. Check out the Trance X too....

Yeah someone on this board buy a Rize already so we can hear all about it and maybe ride it. If I had a killer dedicated race bike and a job I'd get one.

Keroberos

Well looks like i'll either be leaving with a Rize 4 or ordering a Rize 3 friday. The 4 has FOX Float RL, 140 mm fork and the 3 has the Lefty Max w/PBR, 130 mm. Think i may end up ordering a 3.

Engignar

It's also safer, since no 5-inch travel bike is going to shred DH at Diablo.

My 5" travel bike shreds at Diablo.

FYI, Websters recently changed the definition of shred from "the act of participating in an extreme sport at the highest level, generally combined with butt clenching speed and difficulty while causing onlookers jaws to hit the floor" to

"the act of participating in an extreme sport at a level Merriam Webster's own grandmother would find comfortable, generally combined with speed similar to a no legged dog while causing onlookers to point and laugh"

I shred so hard.

Keroberos

IMG00003.jpg

09 Rize 3 picked it up today. I must say this bike is quite awesome.

Top Bottom