Looking for Track and Field officials for middle and high school level. Will train!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
We are looking for people to become track and cross-country officials throughout the state.
There is a class, on-site training, a test, concussion class, and a uniform requirement (shirt and hat) – then some
equipment as you move up (tape measure, stop watch, etc) – there are also some dues at the chapter and state level,
but the assignors make sure you more than make your money back.

This would be at the middle school and high school level.
These are paid positions – typically $60 for a couple hours at a middle school, $90 or so for high school.
More for larger meets – county or conference finals.
There is a calendar system to block out days you can’t work (cause you are racing!)

This is nothing like being an umpire or referee. No parents screaming, and the kids are courteous.

Please call or email me if you have questions – or contact the people below to get the ball rolling.

Pat
908-883-1736
pat.mariani@att.net

From the NJSIAA assignors.

Subject: NJTFOA NW In search of Cadets and meeting reminder for Wed 7/28/2021 at 7:30pm

All,
Hope you are all enjoying your summer, and a sunny day where it has not rained, shockingly

Something to think about, shortly I will send out a questionnaire as to who plans on registering for Cross County, who plans on registering for Track, who plans on not registering and who plans on being inactive. Do not answer now. It is understood that covid is still around flaring up and nobody knows what tomorrow will look like. It is informal. Give it some thought because I will be sending out a survey at the end of July. The end result will help Bob, Brendan, Charlie, John, Jack, Marc, Joe and myself with scheduling future events.

In addition, as you know, we, and the rest of the State, are down an appreciable number of track and field officials this past spring after the year off due to Covid. The downward trend has been ongoing for some time with members passing, age, injury, retirements, relocation or whatever. The end result is the assignor’s end up scrambling and many times going with less than needed.

I know over the winter/indoor (which was mostly outdoor) season and the spring/outdoor season a number of people had contacted either Bob Byrnes or myself or mentioned a friend or family member interested in taking the cadet class. So, if you had contacted one of us or if you know of anyone who would be interested in joining our merry band and is worthy of donning yellow shirt and blue hat please contact Bob Byrnes, bob.byrnes48@hotmail.com.

The Northwest Chapter will be conducting their cadet class starting on Monday September 20, 2021 beginning at 7:30PM at the Presbyterian Church in Dover. Information regarding the class will be posted shortly. If Mondays in September and October are problematic, anyone may take a class with another chapter, pass the class and then join the Northwest Chapter. The same applies where anyone can take the Northwest Class, pass and then join another chapter.

Below is a listing of classes from some other Chapters. There may also be a possible on-line option though the Southern Chapter that we are in the process of obtaining access to. This was used by the State during Covid and hopefully can still be an option. The Northeast Chapter’s class schedule will be determined and provided shortly. I posted the other chapter's listings as they were posted.

SHORE
Shore Track Officials will be conducting our annual Training Program for HS Track & Field Officials starting Monday, July 19 (6 – 7:45 PM) at Monmouth Regional HS, which is easily accessible off Exit 105. We will meet each Monday evening through August 30. The class will be held entirely outside at the T&F facility.
If you know someone who could be a capable T&F official, please forward this information to them.
For additional information and the registration form, please contact John MacGillivray – JMacTrack@Yahoo.com. Registration is limited.

CENTRAL
If you know of anyone who is interested in taking the track and field cadet class, please contact
James Cook, cadet supervisor, at jecooksports@verizon.net or phone (H) 908-755-2558 or
(C) 732-309-7329.
The class will be held on Wednesday evenings at South Plainfield HS beginning at 7pm. The
dates are as follows: September 15, September 22, September 29, October 6, and October 13.
The cost for the class is $75.00.

More to follow, may you continue to enjoy a restful and peaceful summer.

Peace
Scott

Top Bottom