Looking for super cheapo way to train indoors and still post on strava

wonderturtle

I used to have a cyclo ops trainer but gave it away to someone on here a few years ago since I found indoor training to be mind numbing .

Want to give it another try but only if I can still upload the mileage to strava.

Want to go el cheapo route. If I get a new trainer would attaching a Garmin speed sensor do the trick?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12103-00#overview

Also anyone have a trainer they would wanna sell me? ;)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
says the guy that goes to spin class every other morning!!!
--
i think it will count your mileage if you don't mark it as a trainer ride. just make it private so we don't see it :D

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you put an ISO out there I'm sure someone had one they'll sell cheap. Rollers break up the monotony, but the best ways to keep it going is Zwift or specific workouts. If you just go on with no plan and think you'll just spin for 30-40 minutes, you'll have a hard time staying motivated.

JDurk

I use a Cyclops Fluid trainer and Garmin 510 using wheel sensor and GPS off. Using Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist plan, I create interval workouts in Garmin Connect and follow that with HR range efforts and time. Most workouts are 60-90min. As @jShort mentioned, without a plan, motivation would be 0.0

wonderturtle

I use a Cyclops Fluid trainer and Garmin 510 using wheel sensor and GPS off. Using Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist plan, I create interval workouts in Garmin Connect and follow that with HR range efforts and time. Most workouts are 60-90min. As @jShort mentioned, without a plan, motivation would be 0.0

The wherlsensor you mentioned is that the speed sensor I linked above?

CrankAddictRich

I used to have a cyclo ops trainer but gave it away to someone on here a few years ago since I found indoor training to be mind numbing .

Want to give it another try but only if I can still upload the mileage to strava.

Want to go el cheapo route. If I get a new trainer would attaching a Garmin speed sensor do the trick?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12103-00#overview

Also anyone have a trainer they would wanna sell me? ;)

To answer your question.... Yes, a speed sensor and a garmin would do the trick. If you have a computer than can run Zwift, you can also pick up an ant+ dongle for like $20-25 and use Zwift, assuming you get a standard trainer that Zwift has mapped the resistance for... I think all of the cycleops units are good to go, though.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I have a garmin and a power meter but I don't have the speed sensor hooked up, so when my garmin auto uploads to strava it says something like I rode .1 miles for an hour. The .1 miles being the distance the gps moved around. Personally I don't care about mileage anymore, only power and time.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Trainer miles shouldn't count towards yearly totals, it's unfair to people that actually ride. It's one of my main reasons for ditching Strava. Also, you can literally just make a 10k mile manual file and be at the top of all leaderboards so there isn't an ounce of integrity in the App anymore. It's become Facebook for trainer rides.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Trainer miles shouldn't count towards yearly totals, it's unfair to people that actually ride. It's one of my main reasons for ditching Strava. Also, you can literally just make a 10k mile manual file and be at the top of all leaderboards so there isn't an ounce of integrity in the App anymore. It's become Facebook for trainer rides.

do not misinterpret Mark's reasoning. Without power, serious effort and mileage/time are a good substitute.
the only person he has to answer to is himself.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm just sad to see one of us lost to the dark side. Next he'll be halfwheeling group rides for KOMs.

Top Bottom