Looking for a Solid, Lite, Wheel Set

xc62701

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a nice light sturdy race wheelset. Suggestions? So far I'm looking into Mavic Crossmax SLR's, Industry 9's with DT Swiss Rims, King hubs with Stans rims.

J

JDG1317

I have the rear hub (SS version) and love it. Engages fast and solid, is super light, and sounds pretty cool. Sometimes I wish I wasn't running a Lefty just so I could get the front 240s. I have them laced up to mavic 819 rims right now which are nice and strong/stiff but by no means light. I plan to get stan's olympics this winter and lace them up. It will be well over 1lb of rotating weight dropped with that set up and non UST Crossmarks.:D

scalpel6

That's also insanely expensive :D

How much time do you ride or race? How much time do you spend on this site? If you are like most way to much. Save a little more and get yourself the best! You will not regret it. These wheels will stay true and fast for a long time. Choose wisely because nothing makes a bike faster then a good set of wheels. Choose wisely because this is way up there in important life decisions :D

doofus

Talk to Dave Thomas at http://www.speeddream.com/
He built me a set of King Disk/Bontrager Valient wheels that are very light and strong.
And I hammer the snot outta them.
Dave doesn't just lace the parts toghether either.
He uses different gage spokes and patterns on the drive and non drive side for the rear depending on your intended use.
He'll ask you all kinds of questions about riding style, bike, weight, etc and suggest the perfect set for you.
Oh, regarding the King Hubs, 3 things:
1. they're not cheap but they're definitely worth it
2. the rear engages quickly and positively, absolutely necessary if you do any sort of technical riding
3. they will probably outlast your frame and several wheel builds
4. great customer service
OK, that's 4 things, so I can't count.
SUE ME! :D
Lenny

xc62701

How much time do you ride or race? How much time do you spend on this site? If you are like most way to much. Save a little more and get yourself the best! You will not regret it. These wheels will stay true and fast for a long time. Choose wisely because nothing makes a bike faster then a good set of wheels. Choose wisely because this is way up there in important life decisions :D

I ride....ALOT. I've done 20 races this season and probably put 3k miles in. The only think I don't like about those wheels is that you'd have to keep extra spokes with you just in case. I don't think many shops will have them in a pinch. I like them to be easily tunable and have common parts. I know they are pretty stong too but I've seen other wheelsets out there stronger and lighter. At this point I wouldn't be willing to say hands down that they are the best. I will choose slowly and carefully, it'll be a big investment.

xc62701

Talk to Dave Thomas at http://www.speeddream.com/
He built me a set of King Disk/Bontrager Valient wheels that are very light and strong.
And I hammer the snot outta them.
Dave doesn't just lace the parts toghether either.
He uses different gage spokes and patterns on the drive and non drive side for the rear depending on your intended use.
He'll ask you all kinds of questions about riding style, bike, weight, etc and suggest the perfect set for you.
Oh, regarding the King Hubs, 3 things:
1. they're not cheap but they're definitely worth it
2. the rear engages quickly and positively, absolutely necessary if you do any sort of technical riding
3. they will probably outlast your frame and several wheel builds
4. great customer service
OK, that's 4 things, so I can't count.
SUE ME! :D
Lenny

I just checked out the site and they have some really good stuff. I'm gonna call later and check it out.

scalpel6

I ride....ALOT. I've done 20 races this season and probably put 3k miles in. The only think I don't like about those wheels is that you'd have to keep extra spokes with you just in case. I don't think many shops will have them in a pinch. I like them to be easily tunable and have common parts. I know they are pretty stong too but I've seen other wheelsets out there stronger and lighter. At this point I wouldn't be willing to say hands down that they are the best. I will choose slowly and carefully, it'll be a big investment.

20 races very nice. Sorry if it sounds like I am pushing the Mavics. I ride with six guys on the Purefoods / Halters Cycles team and everyone has been riding Mavics for years. We have two guys that are 200LBs that bomb and thrash these wheels and never have problems. I usally don't recommend bikes and other components because it can be a personal pref thing, but wheels leave little to debate in my mind.

I'm not sure which shop you're dealing with but check out Jdog at Halters he may be able to offer some advise.

Good luck

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
Hope Pro II's on ZTR Olympics for myself.

I'd also seriously consider the XTR wheelset. I have yet to ride the XTR wheelset, but I'm hearing they're just as good, if not better, than the SLRs.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
20 races very nice. Sorry if it sounds like I am pushing the Mavics. I ride with six guys on the Purefoods / Halters Cycles team and everyone has been riding Mavics for years. We have two guys that are 200LBs that bomb and thrash these wheels and never have problems. I usally don't recommend bikes and other components because it can be a personal pref thing, but wheels leave little to debate in my mind.

I'm not sure which shop you're dealing with but check out Jdog at Halters he may be able to offer some advise.

Good luck

Another vote for for the Mavics. I've only had the SLRs for a month now but prior to these I had the CrossMax SL Discs for four and a half years and they were absolutely trouble free. I even recently sold them to a good friend; wouldn't do that if they sucked. I can see the availability of the spoke thing being a consideration, though like I said I never had a problem.

Wazu

Go hand built

If you are gonna lay down the money for high end mavics you should really call dave thomas instead. he built my wheels and I"m super duper satisfied. You spend less and get way way more. Hand torqued not machine. Go to mtbr.com. Look up wheelsets. wait till you see the reviews for Dave's SpeedDream wheelsets. You won't believe the ratings. Off the charts. I'm very very satisfied and I've owned the best Mavics and the best xtrs and these kings with olympic 355's are tight and light. I"m not gonna type all the reason's to use DAve cause other people already did. If you don't use DAve you can use CycleWorks. John builds a mean wheel too I hear and he sponsors our team too! Leave the Mavics in France where they belong!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hope the last little remark doesn't apply to riders on our team...:confused:

Top Bottom