Looking for a new REAR tire

aedubber

Hey guys i feel the Schwalbe Muddy Mary is giving me some resistance since i have it mounted front and back .I dont mind it up front but in the back i think im in need of something that rolls a bit faster/

What would you guys recommend for trail conditions such as , Ringwood and Ramapo ? This is for a 26er and im looking to keep it 2.25 - 2.35 in size . Looking for a tire that can handle the trails but also be able to roll better then my Muddy Marys in the back .

Thanks as usual for any input ! I have ridden on the Maxxis Ardents , Hans Dampf , Nevegals, and first gen Highrollers for reference . Just looking to try out some others as well .

freeride

i like the wolverine. they say its ng in da mud, but i find its great gripper better then conti race king

J-Dro

Continental Trail Kings with the Black Chili rubber. I use the 2.4 but they also come in 2.2. A very wide 2.2 compared to other brands. You'll thanks me later.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Continental Trail Kings with the Black Chili rubber. I use the 2.4 but they also come in 2.2. A very wide 2.2 compared to other brands. You'll thanks me later.

Do those tires set up tubeless easily?

CDub

Two combos I have enjoyed:

Dry - WTB Weirwolf up front and Kenda Nevegal in back.
Wet/muddy - Maxxis Ardent in front and Maxxis Ignitor for the rear.

Both these combos give a similar grip profile: the front has better lateral (turning) traction so in turns you can flick the rear around and not worry about understeer and the rear has better rotational (acceleration/braking) traction.

With any of these tires, choosing the right rubber compound (or multi-compound) is also important.

aedubber

Jeff- Those conti's seem heavy ? I know some of you guys are using them but how is the rolling resistance ?

Yea Maxxis runs small in size with tires and i dislike that but if it works then i dont mind ... I am not the lightest rider either ( 200Lbs ) so i hope they can hold up .

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeff- Those conti's seem heavy ? I know some of you guys are using them but how is the rolling resistance ?

Yea Maxxis runs small in size with tires and i dislike that but if it works then i dont mind ... I am not the lightest rider either ( 200Lbs ) so i hope they can hold up .

Gimme a can of Pabst and a calzone and I'll be right there with you on the scale. So far so good with me on the Ignitors. I even ran a 2.1 for a little while and it held up. Haven't been on them for all that long but tried lots of other stuff beforehand.

aedubber

LOL yea im trying to cut my weight down with a new diet and some cardio .. I will have to look into these , i remember when i had the Ardent on my Enduro in the back it felt a lot better and was quick and these Ignitors seem like they are prob a bit faster then the Ardent .

J-Dro

Do those tires set up tubeless easily?

Yes, I'm running the standard non-UST version with Stan's strips and they seal up great. I also have the 29er version on my hardtail with Stan's Flows and they sealed up with a hand pump. Unfortunately the 29er version doesn't have the Black Chili rubber but it's still a respectable tire with good grip.

J-Dro

My 2.4's weigh in at 840 grams. The 2.2's are about 650 g I think. Not exactly a race tire, but respectable. IMHO Conti hit the sweet spot between grip, durability and rolling resistance. These tires are also very voluminous so you can run the pressure a bit lower when you need the traction.

rlb

I am liking the ignitors. Kinda does nothing wrong. Smallish in a 2.35 though.

Agreed. Though I honestly haven't tried too many tires I stopped looking after getting a pair. These are now on both of my MTBs and I never have to think twice about traction.

I even ran a 2.1 for a little while and it held up. Haven't been on them for all that long but tried lots of other stuff beforehand.

I believe this is all that you can get for 29er Ignitors. Unless you're specifically after something w/ a ton of volume it hasn't been an issue for me.

Smokey

On the Knolly i was running the Trail Kings 2.4 Tubeless front and rear, great tire, traction is magical. Who cares about the weight? I got a new Mountain King 2.4 PROTECTION that i am running in the rear right now, seems like it rolls a little easier but doesnt hook up as well but i only have 2 rides on it. I run @ 20 psi.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe this is all that you can get for 29er Ignitors. Unless you're specifically after something w/ a ton of volume it hasn't been an issue for me.

Sorry, for clarity I meant I ran a 2.1 ignitor in 26. It looked like a rim protector but the grip was good. I'd be all over it for the 29er if they made a 2.2. I like 'em big!:p

On the 26 bike I've run nevegals (fine), Weirwolves (suck), Ignitor/High Roller combo, straight Ignitors, and now a Hans Dampf/Ignitor combo. I wish I could be a little more up on the Dampf, as thats a tire I really had my eye on but first impressions were so-so. I also just ordered an Ardent for the 29er front so I'll see how that works. I don't mind trying tires out for some odd reason...well except when they suck.:getsome:

aedubber

Sorry, for clarity I meant I ran a 2.1 ignitor in 26. It looked like a rim protector but the grip was good. I'd be all over it for the 29er if they made a 2.2. I like 'em big!:p

On the 26 bike I've run nevegals (fine), Weirwolves (suck), Ignitor/High Roller combo, straight Ignitors, and now a Hans Dampf/Ignitor combo. I wish I could be a little more up on the Dampf, as thats a tire I really had my eye on but first impressions were so-so. I also just ordered an Ardent for the 29er front so I'll see how that works. I don't mind trying tires out for some odd reason...well except when they suck.:getsome:

Im surprised you dont like the HD ? I had them on my Enduro and they seemed to work pretty good .. The trick to them is to run them low on air pressure to get the best performance from them . Most of the Schwalbe tires can handle very low PSI .

The Nevegals felt stubborn to me , they gripped great just they rolled like a tractor . Im just going to have to go threw some trial and error , order up a few different tires and see which ones work best. I know specialized makes some nice tires too.

Top Bottom